You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Heaven_Rains

Skip Edinburgh or Neptune?

Which ship?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should I free exp Edinburg or Neptune?

• Edinburgh
    • Neptune
    • Neither, keep the free exp

20 comments in this topic

Members
326 posts
4,961 battles

I'm have been grinding the British cruiser line for the Minotaur. So far, Leander and Fiji have been reaaally fun. I have enough free exp to either skip Edinburgh or Neptune.

I'm leaning toward Neptune just because of the concealment. Any advice?

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,416 battles

I thought Ed was similar to Fiji with better torps and radar if you want over smoke. It was pretty easy to play.

Neptune is the largest RN cl. I skipped it. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Never just skip a ship. I stead use the free xp on upgrades, so your always playing a fully upgraded ship

• Cool 2

Members
326 posts
4,961 battles
15 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Never just skip a ship. I stead use the free xp on upgrades, so your always playing a fully upgraded ship

I agree, but in my case, I play T10s most of the time, so skipping ship is very viable to me.

I'm also kinna short on credits, and want to save them for new T10s as much as possible. In fact, for the British line, I don't even fully upgrade the ships. Been playing Fiji with just the hull upgrade and rudder shift module haha...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,443 posts
11,731 battles

Eddy is a great cruiser.

Neptune surprises you with how fast the guns fire.

I wouldn't have free exp out of her, but 80k to get Minnow and tier 10 super container pushed me to pull the trigger.

Eddy gets you set up to learn high tier play.

Neptune will prepare you for minnow...

Play them both you won't regret it.

BTW, my first Eddy battle, I forgot to switch out radar for smoke. Stock consumables,  hit smoke button, radar popped instead.lol.

89k before the tier 10's deleted me.

• Cool 1

Members
1,834 posts
17,617 battles
36 minutes ago, Heaven_Rains said:

I'm have been grinding the British cruiser line for the Minotaur. So far, Leander and Fiji have been reaaally fun. I have enough free exp to either skip Edinburgh or Neptune.

I'm leaning toward Neptune just because of the concealment. Any advice?

I played them both all the way through like I do all ships & Edinburg is definitely the potato of the line but it is best to grind through it (& every other ship) to learn it's little nuances to be able to counter it better later on.

Neptune's increased ROF & turret rotation in comparison is what made it a much easier to play cruiser than the Edinburg IMO. Definitely the only ship at T9 that was better than the T8...but then again the Edinburg had to follow the Fiji which is one of the most trollishly fun tree ships in the whole game.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles

Both ships were fun for me and not much of a grind to tell the truth; I enjoyed both of them and am glad I didn't free XP my way through them.

Beta Testers
570 posts
7,953 battles

Edi is a great ship.  I have kept her and play her consistanly.  I didnt much car for the Neptune, however the Neptune is a good intro to the Mino. 

Members
1,540 posts
8,169 battles

Hey

I'm grinding the Edinburgh now and it's not a bad boat; it's just not the upgrade that the fiji was over the previous.  I would say just keep grinding through the Edinburgh and the Neptune and use your XP on the upgrades to have each one fully upgraded when you begin, that will make the grind less painful as you go.

Pete

[INR]
Members
14 posts
3,229 battles

I loved Edinburgh and Neptune, and I have Krakens in both. Once you get used to Neptune's ergonomics, she's a real blast to play.

[ARGSY]
Members
58 posts
3,149 battles

Just moved up to the Edinburgh and in three games I have been low tiered. It is a good upgrade from the Fiji but the matchmaking just kills it for me. She is just no match for tier X ships. The Fiji on the other hand got good balanced matches and was a dream to play. 

[WOLF9]
Members
265 posts
3,881 battles

I really enjoyed Edin but struggled a lot with Neptune.  Her very high for the line concealment made her much more difficult to use, especially as so many players have figured out how to shoot into smoke.  I wound up using her a lot like the high tier USN cruisers and humping islands while praying there was someone to spot for me.  Difference is the USN ships can take a few hits; Neptune is one giant citadel from bow to stern. 

Members
1,540 posts
8,169 battles

Hey 

Been playing the Edinburgh for a while now and it's a decent ship but generally lacks the DPM to hang in there when up-tired which happens a lot.  Like many T8's that get put into T9/10 games, it struggles a bit but still a decent bote.

Pete

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles

What 1204 said + I thought both ships were a lot of fun. Neptune gives you a good lead in to the rate of fire of the Mino.

[FTH]
Members
252 posts
10,879 battles

I'd suggest skipping the Edinburgh, for 2 reasons.

1.) It's a repeat Fiji, with T8 matchmaking...which, as has been mentioned in this thread, is horrible. If you want an idea of how playing Edinburgh is, faildiv with a T8 in your Fiji where you see T10s..and there you have it. 2. ) Neptune corrected the only problem I had with the British line, which was the short gun range. with the ability to slot the 3m long range mod on it, it felt more comfortable for me. Minotaur was my first cruiser grind, and the most fun...the only part of the line I was aggravated by was the Edinburgh, simply because it's a repeat Fiji.

Members
1,540 posts
8,169 battles
On 9/24/2018 at 9:20 PM, _1204_ said:

Hey

Unless I absolutely hate a particular ship; then this is the approach I take.  Grind the ship and use free XP for upgrading it; completely agree.

Pete

[BIER]
Members
126 posts
1,753 battles

Honestly, I hated the Neptune.

As much as the T8 MM gets maligned, I find the T9 MM worse.  Because the difference in power between T9 and T10 is vast (far larger than any other tier gap, mostly due to the massive power of T10), and T9 ships virtually always see T10s.

With the new T8 MM, you'll see T6s on a much more regular basis, and T10s much less often. So, from a MM perspective, T8 is actually now much better than T9.

For the UK cruiser line, I found the Neptune to be a massive downgrade in capability from the Edinburgh.  The latter is just a very slight bump from the Fiji, so it's no longer the monster that Fiji was at its tier. But, ultimately, it plays almost exactly the same, and is quite successful at it.

The Neptune, on the other hand, is garbage.  The massive concealment hit (both raw and smoke-firing), as well as the huge increase in ship size mean its restricted to virtually one playstyle:  smoke/island camping and firing from long distances.  You give up all the maneuverability of the Fiji/Edinburgh, so those nice little anti-DD knife fights are impossible.  Its massive size increase means it's sooooo easy to hit by everything, and you have paper armor, so you die fast when exposed to ANYTHING shooting at you.  

The DPM and torps are nice, but nowhere near the compensation necessary for the completely loss of damage avoidance the new size, concealment, and lack of maneuverability you suffer compared to the Edinburgh.

The Minotaur gives you back most of that maneuverability, small size, and (most importantly) concealment, while keeping the huge DPM/torp upgrades.  So it again plays like the Fiji/Edinburgh.

If you desire, I'd definitely skip Neptune. It's just REALLY painful for people accustomed to the standard UK CL playstyle.

[TAW]
Members
12 posts
2,794 battles

In my humble opinion, i would say grind both the Edinburgh and Neptune, they are fantastic ships at their tier. For the Edinburgh use smoke to spam AP rounds and flee before it disappears. On the other hand, i use radar for the Neptune because at higher tiers smoke is pretty much obsolete with all of the radar cruisers around. Found out the hard way when my Neptune used smoke with all the radar about. Always hug a island and fire your guns over it. 

Both ships have their different play styles at their respective tiers, wouldn't advise to free xp either as i found them to play well. I still have the Edinburgh with my Neptune and will still keep them when i get the Minotaur.