Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

To get Nelson or not to get Nelson....

38 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,239 posts
1,822 battles

I have the FXP to get Nelson. Should I get it? I have Hood, also a Tier VII RN BB, and I have Missouri and Musashi already.  I have no interest in the various Soviet paper things, nor Alaska, nor Jean Bart.

Should I save my FXP or is Nelson worth it?  Hood is the most favored ship in my fleet, and as I've noted elsewhere it was a Nelson that was the victim of the single most damaging salvo I've done, 45k from Hood's eight 381mm guns and only 8k taken in reply from Nelson's nine 406mm guns, so I am a bit worried about Nelson's durability.

A consideration is that my only 19 point captain is a British BB captain, so the more premium British BBs the more elite captain EXP I can earn.  My Japanese BB captain just hit 18 points, so Musashi will soon join in that party.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Members
4,477 posts
11,120 battles

I have the Nelson and it is a very good ship. Unlike the Izumo all the turrets face forward and have good firing arch. and they don't take as long to switch sides if you are bow on. Always finish at the top of the team XP wise that is and for as funny looking of a ship it is very good design.

[S0L0]
Members
877 posts
4,837 battles

Get her. It's a unique playstyle, the rewards are pretty good, and it's actually pretty cheap for a premium boat.

Just don't go broadside to AP slinging boats, and the mutant magic heal will forgive many other sins...

Matt

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

Why do you need us to tell you?

Can't you make up your own mind?

What would make you buy it or not? What do we need to know to advise you?

EDIT: It's like me asking "should I eat watermelon for lunch? I ate an apple and an orange yesterday..."

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 4

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,058 posts
14,457 battles

Very solid Tier VII BB, top performer there.  As long as you treat other BB AP shells as kryptonite, you'll be fine.  She just devours Cruisers and laughs at their HE + Fire tactics.  Also, she's dirt cheap in FreeXPs compared to Musashi in Tier IX.

[SEP]
Members
439 posts
12,705 battles

Since you need random people on the internet to make up your mind for you, I'm going to throw in my "no" vote for a bit of balance.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,603 battles

It's a VERY good ship but you'll have to understand your AA is piss poor and AP bombs from Lexingtons and Grafs will delete you very quickly. It doesn't have enough deck armour so citadels are common. If you get citadeled, that HP is NOT coming back. You can't lead charges you don't have the speed, what you have is a flexible firing arc and very good HE. It's a defensive ship made to do MASSIVE armour of damage with her accurate guns and 1/4 HE pen for RN shells. 

But in retrospect, perhaps it's the (n+1) rule in practice, I wonder if I would have had more fun if I saved up for the Musashi instead of splurging it out on the Nelson lol 

Edited by LancasterOne

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
21 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I have the FXP to get Nelson. Should I get it?

What would you like to know about it, info that may sway your decision one way or another? Yeah it's a good BB. Heal is a beast, forward-facing turrets are fun. Don't bow tank against most BBs, and don't rely to much on HE.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,239 posts
1,822 battles
Just now, evilleMonkeigh said:

Why do you need us to tell you?

Can't you make up your own mind?

What would make you buy it or not? What do we need to know to advise you?

EDIT: It's like me asking "should I eat watermelon for lunch? I ate an apple and an orange yesterday..."

Just now, grumpymunky said:

Since you need random people on the internet to make up your mind for you, I'm going to throw in my "no" vote for a bit of balance.

Asking opinions is very normal behavior for humans.  Of course, as you two demonstrated, so is being a [edited].

I was 90% sure, just wanted a quick sanity check.  Nelsol has been purchased.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles
24 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I have no interest in Jean Bart.

LALALALALALA I'M NOT HEARING YOU.

Nelsol is a pretty good oil tanker.you won't regret it.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,445 posts
8,092 battles

Keep her angled, she bounces shells pretty well, but broadside to a BB - you've seen what can happen. 101 mm pen if I remember correctly on HE rounds if she has the 1/4 meaning even if you had HE loaded for a angled BB, and Atlanta pops around the corner or some other cruiser - your HE can still citadel it where the AP would overpen. That's just under 7k damage per hit if you hit the citadel, plus fire chance, plus module damage, plus likely a chance at detonating the ship if below the HP threshold. Premium Repair plus SI for four repair parties, that heal 1425 HP a second for 20 seconds (pretty sure that's with flag), that's 28500 HP. Especially survival builds, she's earned the name "zombie ship". Long as she isn't under super heavy extended HE bombardment's, she's one of the few (like Gas and I think Mass if that's the one with the fast CD on repair as well), that can actually survive well in the IFHE/Fire meta even without a full survival build. 

Members
11 posts
10,526 battles

Save your money.  For Tier VII, the King George V is a much better ship.  Check the stats of both.  Each has 6 guns firing forward but KGV can shoot from the rear as well.  I have mine loaded and also have 5 scout planes and 5 Repair parties.  I sink Nelsons all the time.

Nelson:               73 83 42 25 32

KIng George V:  74 86 51 37 37

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,239 posts
1,822 battles

Ok.  First game was a blowout loss.  I mainly contributed as a damage sponge, got Dreadnought, only did 25k damage.

Second battle was slightly better.  Dreadnought, Fireproof, First Blood and my first *legitimate Solo Warrior, 118k damage.  Ended up me vs three DDs and a KGV, two bases each team and a points lead for my team.  I sank the KGV and the Benson, they capped one base and were capping the other when time ran out, won by about 13 points.  At the end, when it was just three DDs vs me I finally loaded HE for the first time.

NelsonSW.thumb.jpg.392944dc923d2396b6477cee60a43490.jpg

*My first Solo Warrior was obtained in Kongo, but about a minute into the game my toddler started throwing a tantrum so I had to bail and, with my Kongo heading to the far side of the map at 30 knots I quit the game.  Came back later to see how it had turned out to discover my AFK Kongo had won me a Solo Warrior.

Edited by Helstrem

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,803 posts
10,309 battles

Nelson is both different - a unique gun arrangement with fairly unique repair but citadel vulnerability - and in my opinion rewarding, she wants good shot selection, positioning (slow) and angling (vulnerable cit).

I absolutely do not regret mine.

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

A consideration is that my only 19 point captain is a British BB captain, so the more premium British BBs the more elite captain EXP I can earn.  My Japanese BB captain just hit 18 points, so Musashi will soon join in that party.

Why Not? Unless you are saving for the possibility that Alaska is Free XP.

[SEP]
Members
439 posts
12,705 battles
31 minutes ago, Squidsville said:

For Tier VII, the King George V is a much better ship.  Check the stats of both.

K.

kgvisbetter.thumb.JPG.6a44cc686eeac706a8978281db572ae2.JPG

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
421 posts
5,682 battles

Nelson is a great ship. Nothing quite so fun as penetrating tier 5 CLs with HE when they are bow-on to you like I did to an Omaha yesterday.

Saving up my coal for the Musashi right now.

[WORX]
Members
1,825 posts
12,872 battles
46 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

So the secret to solo warriors is the Nelson.

^^ Or get a real sneaky DD. works every time when conditions are met :)/

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles

She excels in many areas, offensive HE & AP along with the super heal means she can take a beating & return it in kind. I would say she's a solid investment if you're bored.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles

How about a half-Nelson. Ba-da-bum.  But it is a great ship and provides some special gameplay.

and it looks stunning in the Azur Lane camo.

Sign in to follow this