You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LancasterOne

How to play in an antisocial team?

41 comments in this topic

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,612 battles

This has become a bit of a reoccurring theme. In the midst of a push, cruisers suddenly run away or start hiding behind you, you can't turn in a battleship in time to respond to the dissertation or lost of torpedo scouting, you stop advancing and shout at the cruiser to keep pushing, then the torps come and you die, horribly. 

Or perhaps you're in a destroyer and suddenly your cruisers turn tail and run in the midst of a push and now it's just you and another destroyer and both get blapped. 

Or perhaps people don't even talk at all and everyone still has the stock anchor emblem.

How should a captain respond when your team doesn't pull their weight or dissert in the midst of a push? Cos this is REALLY getting old. 

losing spree.jpg

Edited by LancasterOne

[HYDRO]
Members
1,571 posts
3,751 battles

y8Ea8jB.gif

Give it a rest for tonight and start over tomorrow with a clear head.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
15 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

This has become a bit of a reoccurring theme. In the midst of a push, cruisers suddenly run away or start hiding behind you, you can't turn in a battleship in time to respond to the dissertation or lost of torpedo scouting, you stop advancing and shout at the cruiser to keep pushing, then the torps come and you die, horribly. 

Or perhaps you're in a destroyer and suddenly your cruisers turn tail and run in the midst of a push and now it's just you and another destroyer and both get blapped. 

Or perhaps people don't even talk at all and everyone still has the stock anchor emblem.

How should a captain respond when your team doesn't pull their weight or dissert in the midst of a push? Cos this is REALLY getting old. 

People have time to write dissertations in the middle of fighting a battle?  Damn, that's multitasking with a vengeance!!!  :fish_book:

• Funny 2

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

if they can't even use the fast chat buttons, its not ok. 

realistically, any good teamwork requires some minimum level of communication. 

Over the weekend, the potatoes were just running from the cap though at the first sight of trouble. Nothing could do about it. Except occasionally cajole one or two, but if they leave, you should leave and look for a better opportunity, or go read a book lol. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
30 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

How should a captain respond when your team doesn't pull their weight

Carry harder.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[TCNNA]
Members
107 posts
4,016 battles

I think LittleWhiteMouse's number one rule for the game is don't trust anyone. I've taken that to heart.

• Cool 6

[WOLF9]
Members
1,104 posts
1 hour ago, LancasterOne said:

losing spree.jpg

Some of us have the stock emblem because we didn't ask for them, didn't want them, and find them about as useful and pleasant as a three hour prostate exam...with a wood rasp.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[TDRB]
Members
1,092 posts
4,167 battles

What do you want to bet these are the same players whining in the forums about BB's hugging the bottom edge and sniping?

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles
2 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

losing spree.jpg

Hood has cruiser levels of speed and I would think you would could have pulled back with the others if you needed to. Also your troubles sound like DDs bailing on you instead of CAs.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,103 battles
1 hour ago, SithSteel said:

I think LittleWhiteMouse's number one rule for the game is don't trust anyone. I've taken that to heart.

This, occasionally I break it, and 9.5/10 times am disappointed for it. 

Trust no one, always assume that your going to have to fight 12 on 1, plan for a running battle - or to do as much damage/take as many with you as possible in the fight. 

Similar to how I handle being targeted though that one I always use. If I'm spotted, especially in a CV, DD, or Scharnhorst, I assume every ship still alive is firing something at me. Why I never bother with Priority Target, Rather use the point toward PM to keep my weapons intact, or any of the multi-point skills that are a bit more useful. 

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

if they can't even use the fast chat buttons, its not ok. 

What the key for this?  Asking for a friend.  I rarely used it and I haven't played much in a while and I an drawing a complete blank on how you use quick commands.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,946 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

y8Ea8jB.gif

Give it a rest for tonight and start over tomorrow with a clear head.

This is very good advice.  The longer you play with losing games, the more frustrated you'll get.  You'll just get more frustrated and play worse.

Take a break, get some dinner, and see the real world before returning the next day.

• Cool 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles

Yeah, you need a break when it gets that bad... I somehow went 7 and 0 tonight, so there is a flip side to this... It will turn around, it always does. 

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,721 battles
3 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

losing spree.jpg

If you want to get more wins, you have to be a rainmaker.  You're not there yet.  So because you're pretty much right on the line as an average player, you're completely at the mercy of the skill level of the rest of the players on your team and how they stack up to the opponent.

You can try to communicate more and it can help IF your communication resonates with them in a way they can buy into and follow through on.  If your team is mostly comprised of window lickers, it won't matter what you say.

You just have to look inward and focus on the levers you can pull to increase your production and the wins will slowly follow.  A fact that forum trolls and the rest of the below average community refuse to accept as a means to improve their game.

It's just like dating.  The principal applies to both men and women.  If you want to attract higher quality and more attractive dates, you need to focus on self improvement.  The more you work on yourself, the more attractive you naturally become.  Better health, better education, better job, higher EQ, improved wardrobe, higher quality and quantity of your personal network, etc.

It amazes me when women will complain about the fact that there are no good men here in Vegas and I don't say it, but I'm thinking, "Yeah there are plenty, but they aren't going to be interested in a 30+ year old woman who still goes clubbing every Friday night, doesn't take good care of her health, gets tattoos in places not socially acceptable in sophisticated circles, drinks way too much and makes a fool out of herself trying desperately to hold on to the free-spirited lifestyle of her 20s."

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,251 battles

Analyse the first 5 min. If you see all your team suiciding on cap or going alone, then you can temporary give up the "I play to win" mode farm as much damage as you can. Seize all opporunities you have and keep an eye on what ship is alive in the red team . After 5 min again, if you're team keep losing ship then just keep farming damage. However if the red team start loosing ship and point, maybe you can try to look at what ship in your team is alive and try to support them. 

WOWs is the first game where I saw people trying to lose on purpose. You have all cap and 5 ship lead then suddently in less than 3 min you're the only one alive and you lost 3 cap. Don't play WOW trying to win games, play WOWs and farm XP and credit by doing what you're supposed to do. If you win, then it's good for you, if you lose, at least you'll get your credit and XP. But one major rule when playing WOWs is always to play like you're the only one in your team alive. Only share your consummable with people you think they can help you. Team mates are like gamble 

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,612 battles
47 minutes ago, VGLance said:

If you want to get more wins, you have to be a rainmaker.  You're not there yet.  So because you're pretty much right on the line as an average player, you're completely at the mercy of the skill level of the rest of the players on your team and how they stack up to the opponent.

You can try to communicate more and it can help IF your communication resonates with them in a way they can buy into and follow through on.  If your team is mostly comprised of window lickers, it won't matter what you say.

You just have to look inward and focus on the levers you can pull to increase your production and the wins will slowly follow.  A fact that forum trolls and the rest of the below average community refuse to accept as a means to improve their game.

It's just like dating.  The principal applies to both men and women.  If you want to attract higher quality and more attractive dates, you need to focus on self improvement.  The more you work on yourself, the more attractive you naturally become.  Better health, better education, better job, higher EQ, improved wardrobe, higher quality and quantity of your personal network, etc.

It amazes me when women will complain about the fact that there are no good men here in Vegas and I don't say it, but I'm thinking, "Yeah there are plenty, but they aren't going to be interested in a 30+ year old woman who still goes clubbing every Friday night, doesn't take good care of her health, gets tattoos in places not socially acceptable in sophisticated circles, drinks way too much and makes a fool out of herself trying desperately to hold on to the free-spirited lifestyle of her 20s."

I know we didn't exactly got off on the right foot but checking your stats, maybe you're onto something. The problem is a lot of ships depend VERY heavily on what your team does. The Queen Elizabeth for example, with a range of only 17k and speed of 24kts. You can't go off alone and you don't have the range to give fire support from afar either. Turret rotation. 72 seconds. I know my enemy's HARD stats, pretty much committed to memory how far their torps go, how fast they go, can they catch me, can they overmatch my armour. I know my ships well technically but they do depend a lot of how to encourage the team to make the right strategic decisions. 

I'll use the Shard map starting from the north for example. Now starting from the north, the way I see it is, if we go to A, even if we gain control of A, we'll be locked down in that area since the islands form a natural chokepoint that makes anyone poking through a sitting duck. Like that scene in 300 where the Persians had to push through a cliff chokepoint defended by Spartans. It'll be a massacre. While for C the natural choke is on our side, so if we have North East map control, we can push through the choke easily, even if we lost C, they'll be fighting a uphill battle trying to squeeze through. 

What usually happen though is the entire blue team pushing into A. Getting stuck at the chokepoints while enemy ships hold them down. Then we lose C since we don't have enough men. Then B is gone since the blue team is still stuck in A. Then everyone dies by being shot at from all side. 

What often happens when I'm sailing say a fast battleship like the Hood is. I warn them about the impending doom. Then end up being the last man alive being chased to the edge of the map. What can ONE ship do when the rest of your team make some questionable tactical decisions?

map control.jpg

[ONAVY]
Members
772 posts
6,297 battles
3 hours ago, SithSteel said:

Wow...how sad. This is what being in a good clan avoids...that lonely lone wolf scenario... Sad.

[TCNNA]
Members
107 posts
4,016 battles
21 minutes ago, C_D said:

Wow...how sad. This is what being in a good clan avoids...that lonely lone wolf scenario... Sad.

I don't particularly think it's sad. Nor do I really see any value in playing with a clan. I've had plenty of nail-biting, exciting games playing by myself.

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
3 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

Some of us have the stock emblem because we didn't ask for them, didn't want them, and find them about as useful and pleasant as a three hour prostate exam...with a wood rasp.

Talk about overreacting. Yeah I get it you don't like'em, but how on Earth can they be that bad?

Are you even old enough to need a prostate exam? :Smile_trollface:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,842 posts
13,056 battles
8 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

Playing well isn't about playing optimally for you and your ship...but playing optimally for your team.  If the team isn't doing the optimal thing, then you must adjust your play to fit the team.  A less optimal personal action can be most optimal for the team disposition.  And a most optimal personal action can be less optimal for the team disposition.

For example, I called for a push on a cap we had advantage.  I started the push and noticed the team just wasn't pushing.  If I continued the push (the original optimal play), I would eventually transition to a yolo push, get focused...and begin the slow spiral to death and team loss.  So...I had to mold my push to the team disposition..I had to hold up...slow down...re-position.  Merge into the team's disposition.  My conformance to the less optimal team approach became the optimal play as soon as the team gave up the optimal push.  

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
2,116 battles
10 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

losing spree.jpg

Your avatar is perfect

Members
18,235 posts
5,205 battles
12 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

Of course cruisers are going to hide behind a BB. Everybody with big guns loves to blap cruisers. Often, even hiding behind the BB only turns your PT from 5-6 to 3-4. A cruiser is only useful as a torpedo screen when it's just enemy DDs out there. Otherwise, they won't last long enough to do much. 

If you want a torpedo screen, you want a DD. He can do it without getting spotted and shot. Of course, to do so, he has to avoid getting much in the way of XP for himself, so not many players will do this.

Now, if you're pushing at a good opportunity, that's different, but then the problem is, if the cruiser doesn't recognise the opportunity, how does he know you're not YOLOing?

With a DD, similar thing, except you're the priority target. As long as the cruiser is providing effective gunfire support, that's what counts, they aren't going to tank for you anyway, because they die just as fast.

Cruisers are probably the most prioritised target in general, as they provide the best compromise of ease of hitting, squishiness, and reward. Not to mention, cruisers spam HE and hide behind islands, two things which a lot of players find really annoying, so people love to kill them.

• Cool 1

Members
1,076 posts
5,972 battles
12 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

...you can't turn in a battleship in time to respond to the dissertation

I've known many people working on the their Ph.D. dissertations, and none of them was ever planning to turn in a battleship, they all were planning to turn in their dissertations. The faculty wouldn't know what to do with the battleship even if you did turn it in to them.

But seriously, if it's a recurring theme in your games, why are you responding by repeating the same tactics?

• Funny 2