You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RECON_RANGER

Arms Race is DEAD on NA Server

64 comments in this topic

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles

WOWS's new fancy mode is now DEAD on NA Server.  Que times are LONG and games are short players even at 6pm.  I just got a game with 6 ships per team after a 4 minute que and my next game was 10 ships per team after 3 minutes. 

Notser is obviously one of the best CC's and he pointed out that a lot of players, like him, are not playing Arms Race because you can't grind some missions, you can't grind legendary upgrades and you can't get enough points to qualify for the Hall of Fame even though you can do some of these things in COOP.  He predicted Arms Race will quickly die, despite being fun and a good idea, unless WG fixes these issues THIS WEEK.   

If the DEVS want to save Arms Race, they need to hot fix these issues THIS WEEK  and allow grinding for legendary upgrades, increase the points for the Hall of Fame since Arms Race is basically IDENTICAL to randoms, or just let it die, but if WG lets Arms Race die because of these issues, then why introduce it in the first place?

WG DEVS have to be as smart as NOTSER to realize these issues will kill it, right?

ROFL.

Edited by RECON_RANGER
  • Cool 3

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
41 posts
2,345 battles

Isn't this incarnation a test of concept?  If it was popular it would be expanded.

Personally it isn't that exciting.

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
4 minutes ago, KidDiscordia said:

Isn't this incarnation a test of concept?  If it was popular it would be expanded.

Personally it isn't that exciting.

The way is has been introduced means it is DEAD ON ARRIVAL so why even test it?  Why waste the time?

Either WG truly did not think of this or they just don't care and introduced it as a joke.  Is it April?

Members
855 posts
3,607 battles

I won't play it because its a stupid game mode. The whole idea of picking up buffs in this kind of game is dumb to me. What are we playing goldeneye or halo?

No.. just noooooo, I won't play it!

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles

It was popular all through yesterday.  Would be odd if that video had an effect on its popularity.  I thought it was a test of the concept and din't think it counted towards anything at first, but was happy to see it did count towards just about everything, including the Royal Navy event.  I found it enjoyable and will miss it if it goes away.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles
6 minutes ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

I won't play it because its a stupid game mode. The whole idea of picking up buffs in this kind of game is dumb to me. What are we playing goldeneye or halo?

No.. just noooooo, I won't play it!

I thought the buff part would be distracting.  When I did start playing it, the buffs felt a bit irrelevant and I found myself wrapped up in the mid-tier play style.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I like the game mode but it's true, it doesn't count towards missions; also ranked.

Edited by w4spl3g

[O_O]
Members
738 posts
6,288 battles

played one battle...reminded me totally of Ranked matches...never played again. :Smile_sceptic:

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles
6 minutes ago, RECON_RANGER said:

The way is has been introduced means it is DEAD ON ARRIVAL so why even test it?  Why waste the time?

Either WG truly did not think of this or they just don't care and introduced it as a joke.  Is it April?

It is hard to believe that a game mode would be DOA simply because you can't grind Legendary Modules while playing it.  You do know it actually does count towards the Royal Navy event and the Hall of Fame, despite what the video says?

Edited by ExploratorOne

[UEFN]
Members
391 posts
11,853 battles

Good concept, i do see a lot more movement from BB players willing to get close to the buff caps in general, but poor execution and non-existence achievements, plus the lack of ability to grind missions and other stuff.  Hell, i sunk 6 ships and didn't even get kraken or any other achievements.

It's fun, yes, but it get old quick. 

[SCARY]
Alpha Tester
53 posts
12,450 battles

I played it and the first game was fine. After the first game it went down hill fast. The team is extremely dependent on DDs and the DDs being supported aka team work. Well in randoms team work is 2 four letter words and thus its obviously considered bad. This game made just makes things worse. After 4 tries I gave up on it.

Members
1,858 posts
17,674 battles

It's a fun mode & you can do daily missions in it & even the RN event...but other modes provide much more points towards the Hall of Fame in the RN mode so not playing it now that I'm in Hall of Fame & trying to get extra containers for having a higher score.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It is hard to believe that a game mode would be DOA simply because you can't grind Legendary Modules while playing it.  You do know it actually does count towards the Royal Navy event and the Hall of Fame, despite what the video says?

It's not just those, it's ALL missions. The RN DD unlocks for example, which I found out the hard way.

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles
3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

It's not just those, it's ALL missions. The RN DD unlocks for example, which I found out the hard way.

Ah, didn't notice it was missing from the RN DD unlocks.  That makes two mission categories: Legendary Modules and RN DD unlocks.  i only played the mode twice, spaced apart.  Couldn't see myself grinding in it because it requires a lot of concentration for me with no downtime for the entire battle.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
10 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

The video says it counts toward the Hall of Fame, but not at the same LEVEL as Randoms; therefore, the good players who are trying for a high standing in the Hall of Fame can't play Arms Race because the points are to low. 

Edited by RECON_RANGER

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Ah, didn't notice it was missing from the RN DD unlocks.  That makes two mission categories: Legendary Modules and RN DD unlocks.  i only played the mode twice, spaced apart.  Couldn't see myself grinding in it because it requires a lot of concentration for me with no downtime for the entire battle.

Does COOP and Operations count toward the DD unlocks?  What tier of randoms count toward DD unlocks?  Is it tier 5 and up?

Edited by RECON_RANGER

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,725 posts
9,112 battles
10 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It was popular all through yesterday.  Would be odd if that video had an effect on its popularity.  I thought it was a test of the concept and din't think it counted towards anything at first, but was happy to see it did count towards just about everything, including the Royal Navy event.  I found it enjoyable and will miss it if it goes away.

Initially it didn't count, they changed that. It is fun but if you have too many hanging back like in a standard random battle you are going to lose. The Russians with their charge in and melee style of play must be in heaven over this.

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles
1 minute ago, RECON_RANGER said:

The video says it counts toward the Hall of Fame, but not at the same LEVEL as Randoms; therefore, the good players who are trying for a high standing in the Hall of Fame can't play Arms Race because the points are to low. 

Just looked in the game client: same rewards as Randoms. 18/72 for Tier IX and 20/80 for Tier X (kill/win). 

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles
5 minutes ago, RECON_RANGER said:

Does COOP and Operations count toward the DD unlocks?  What tier of randoms count toward DD unlocks?  Is it tier 5 and up?

Random, Ranked, Co-op, Scenario.  Tier V and up.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,718 posts
3,941 battles

Have I reminded people yet that segmenting a small playerbase into even smaller segments never really works?

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Just looked in the game client: same rewards as Randoms. 18/72 for Tier IX and 20/80 for Tier X (kill/win). 

You are correct, but there are no points for Heroic Achievement and no points for Honorary Achievement and these points are HUGE. 

144/72

160/80

[LOU1]
Members
3,078 posts
8,161 battles

I think I will leave this thread because I am biased.  I came across that video an hour ago and it came across to me the wrong way.  As if it was designed to stir up controversy to gain views.  I usually don't think that way about things and think highly of the CC, but something about trying to deep six the new mode bugged me.  So, I don't really trust any more of my comments on this topic/video and better keep them to myself.

"Fair winds and following seas..."

Edited by ExploratorOne

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
7 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I think I will leave this thread because I am biased.  I came across that video an hour ago and it came across to me the wrong way.  As if it was designed to stir up controversy to gain views.  I usually don't think that way about things and think highly of the CC, but something about trying to deep six the new mode bugged me.  So, I don't really trust any more of my comments on this topic/video and better keep them to myself.

"Fair winds and following seas..."

You are truly insulting NOTSER.  Watch his video just prior to this and he is praising WG DEVS for doing a great job with WOWS's.  He isn't trying to torpedo Arms Race, he is simply pointing out glaring issues with it that will cause many players to not want to play it.   

Some of them just aren't fair.  How can you allow grinding Legendary Upgrades in COOP, but not in Arms Race?  I think this was an oversight by WG, but how can you have an oversight like this?  Let's hope WG jumps on this and immediately fixes it.

Edited by RECON_RANGER

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles
15 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Have I reminded people yet that segmenting a small playerbase into even smaller segments never really works?

They are doing it because they are burying their heads in the sand over the MM.  They refuse to fix MM, and are trying to draw off population to arms race to make the current MM less brutal.

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
24 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Without COOP, WOWS's would have failed as a product.  Operations/Scenarios are also wildly popular.  I never have a que of more than a couple of minutes even in the mornings on weekdays and I have over 3,500 of them.  I have 2,000 COOP, but only 256 Randoms.  I already have more games in Arms Race than in Randoms well over 300.  I would rather paint a room than play WOWS's randoms.  It's to boring for me, but Arms Race is more exciting and the games are over MUCH faster than randoms.

Without WG segmenting the small playerbase, there would be no player base.   COOP keeps WOWS's afloat and Operations game those players a better option, but COOP is still wildly popular with super fast ques and full teams, especially at lower tiers.  There are players with over 5,000 games in a single tier 4 ship in COOP.

Edited by RECON_RANGER