You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
outwardpanicjoe

The Incredible Battleship Nevada video

26 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
162 posts
4,783 battles

Wow, great video!  Thank you very much sharing it. She was one tough lady.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,495 posts
9,585 battles

Thanks for sharing that. Dang tough ship!

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,880 posts
4,757 battles

I never saw photos of it's wreck...is it classified or something?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,981 posts
10,751 battles

Thank you for sharing. That was awesome.

We need this in game as some kind of brawling unsinkable beast LOL.

• Cool 1

Members
1,030 posts
13,067 battles

I've always considered the Nevada getting underway at Pearl to be the reason the Japanese second wave was not as effective as the first wave was. Instead of hitting the dry docks or oil reserves most of the bombers went after the Nevada. Bypassing those targets allowed the US Navy to get back into the fight much faster than otherwise might have happened.

• Cool 2

[SF-E]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
4,089 battles
6 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

I've always considered the Nevada getting underway at Pearl to be the reason the Japanese second wave was not as effective as the first wave was. Instead of hitting the dry docks or oil reserves most of the bombers went after the Nevada. Bypassing those targets allowed the US Navy to get back into the fight much faster than otherwise might have happened.

Interesting that could be it. 

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles

Thank you! A fascinating history of a valiant and very tough ship.

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thank you for sharing. That was awesome.

We need this in game as some kind of brawling unsinkable beast LOL.

T6 in the 1942 refit, brawling secondaries, meh sigma, best for close range.  Then give her innate superintendant, as well as a special dcp/rp that allows her to repair 50% citadel type damage.

Members
4,592 posts
6,543 battles
38 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Very interesting. Fuchida wanted Nevada sunk in the entrance to the harbor which might have resulted in blocking anyone from getting in or out of Pearl. Nevada did the right thing and beached herself. Had she made it to open water she would most likely have been sunk in deep water never to be recovered.  I know the 2nd wave was still concentrating on the warships.  I do not know if the oil reserves were part of the 2nd waves mission.  Were they?  I do know that Fuchida when he returned to the carriers argued vehemently for a 3rd strike to take them out. Nagumo, as you know, wanted by that point to just get the hell away since he did not know where our carriers were.  However you make a very interesting point, but as I said I do not know if the dry docks and oil reserves were supposed to be a target of that 2nd wave. That is why I asked.  

Members
1,030 posts
13,067 battles
24 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Very interesting. Fuchida wanted Nevada sunk in the entrance to the harbor which might have resulted in blocking anyone from getting in or out of Pearl. Nevada did the right thing and beached herself. Had she made it to open water she would most likely have been sunk in deep water never to be recovered.  I know the 2nd wave was still concentrating on the warships.  I do not know if the oil reserves were part of the 2nd waves mission.  Were they?  I do know that Fuchida when he returned to the carriers argued vehemently for a 3rd strike to take them out. Nagumo, as you know, wanted by that point to just get the hell away since he did not know where our carriers were.  However you make a very interesting point, but as I said I do not know if the dry docks and oil reserves were supposed to be a target of that 2nd wave. That is why I asked.  

I don't have any sources to quote off the top of my head but I do remember things from my readings on the subject.

The first wave was actually told not to hit the oil tank farm. The thinking of the attack planners was that large clouds of billowing smoke might impede the attack. While it was on a list of targets of opportunity for the second wave many of them went after the Nevada... for good reason to be sure... if she had sunk in the channel.

It presents one of those "what if" questions. A few bombs and maybe a couple of strafing runs and what ships the USN had left in operational condition would have been running on empty at least for a while. It could have affected things like the Doolittle raid, the Coral Sea battle and maybe even Midway. The dry docks were not nearly as important in that it would have been very hard to take them out completely anyway.

Nagumo really blew that whole Samurai code thing. Even if the 3rd wave had been chewed up Fuchida was right in that while we had been hurt badly we weren't out of it yet.

Members
4,592 posts
6,543 battles
35 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

I don't have any sources to quote off the top of my head but I do remember things from my readings on the subject.

The first wave was actually told not to hit the oil tank farm. The thinking of the attack planners was that large clouds of billowing smoke might impede the attack. While it was on a list of targets of opportunity for the second wave many of them went after the Nevada... for good reason to be sure... if she had sunk in the channel.

It presents one of those "what if" questions. A few bombs and maybe a couple of strafing runs and what ships the USN had left in operational condition would have been running on empty at least for a while. It could have affected things like the Doolittle raid, the Coral Sea battle and maybe even Midway. The dry docks were not nearly as important in that it would have been very hard to take them out completely anyway.

Nagumo really blew that whole Samurai code thing. Even if the 3rd wave had been chewed up Fuchida was right in that while we had been hurt badly we weren't out of it yet.

I looked this up and the neither the first nor second wave were assigned the dry docks and oil fields as a priority.  It was the ships and airfields.  Also a third wave might well indeed have been a very serious blow taking out the oil fields but it also would have meant the third wave would have had to have landed on the carriers after dark. That was something no navy was proficient at at that time. Nagumo was also concerned about the loss of planes in a third wave as the bulk of the planes lost were in the second wave and a third wave might have been even worse.  He feared he might have to fight his way home and needed those planes. Not knowing  where our carriers were was a HUGE factor in his decision. Anyway Yamamoto approved of Nagumo's decision at the time but later expressed regret that a third wave attack on the oil reserves was not done.  Hindsight!  Yes, Fuchida was right.  But I have NO doubt America would have still defeated Japan but it would have taken longer. 

I resorted to the account on Wiki to refresh myself.  Heh.  Wiki is never wrong bout nuthin. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by dmckay

Members
1,030 posts
13,067 battles
19 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I resorted to the account on Wiki to refresh myself.  Heh.  Wiki is never wrong bout nuthin. :Smile_sceptic:

Not only that but as we all know from that Ben Affleck movie the Japanese spent thousands of gallons of fuel oil and hundreds of gallons of aviation fuel to drop bombs on nurses running down a street.:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
4,592 posts
6,543 battles

Plus 1.  My God that was a horrid account of Pearl. I almost walked out. 

Edited by dmckay

[SF-E]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
4,089 battles
1 minute ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

Really hope we get to see this ship in game some day. Thanks for posting this. 

no problem

Members
60 posts
10,682 battles

Amazing history, A ship designed and built for slugging it out when battle wagons would rule the seas. Shows that air power was the new method of warfare. Would love to see it in game as a strong brawler at tier 5 or 6 with good secondaries to help with her close fighting.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I have one of the pics in the video up on my Navy wall in my den. Nevermind the Battleship Grey paint.

15378855323157202180516530536946.jpg

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
4,089 battles
5 hours ago, firemedic1428 said:

I have one of the pics in the video up on my Navy wall in my den. Nevermind the Battleship Grey paint.

15378855323157202180516530536946.jpg

O nice ! thanks for sharing !

• Cool 1