You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WanderingGhost

Acasta

31 comments in this topic

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,478 posts
8,157 battles

So, unlike the last several times, I actually got a mission for Acasta, got the XP, and gave it a go. 

I wanted to come up with something funny or witty for the title but... I can't even do that with this ship. It's just so.... I have no words beyond "in need of something". Maybe "Just Enough the ship" - Just enough shell size to be useful, with IFHE mainly, Just enough stealth/torp range, just... somehow at the same time "Just enough" not being enough. 

Everything combined the way it is just does not work well, at all. Sure, it has a bit more turret rotation than Pod and better RoF - but Pod has flatter arcs, bigger guns, more of them, and is a hell of a lot faster. Nicholas has even worse arcs and lower fire chance, but has that slightly bigger guns that fire faster, again, on a faster ship. The guns are so right between the other stats of ships that it basically has nothing that makes up for any of the drawbacks. When it comes to torp/concealment it has one of, if not the worst, concealment's at the tier, and the torp range matches the stealth, but something about these torps, or bad luck, has seen them seem fairly ineffective. I get using angles to stealth torp regardless, I've been called a hacker for doing that in Nicholas, but it's like something is just off with these. And then you have the simple fact of speed. Regardless of EB it's one of the slowest ships in tier. Not to mention not even any real AA and HP like an IJN DD. Combined with a super short smoke screen just...... the ship's not good. And not even in the way where, it can be kinda bad, but is a blast to play cause of something about it, it's just bad. 

I only have a couple games in the thing (why this is an unusually short post for me on something like this), but just, this thing needs something. A few tenths off the reload to accommodate the smaller shell, slightly faster traverse to keep guns on target while maneuvering, better shell arcs. Maybe even just building in the 1/4 HE to the line (seeing as it has some small caliber guns and would go along with the BB's).

Lower her spotted range or increase her torp range a little. Say .5 km max on increasing torp range and .2 km on lowering spotting distance max. Either one of those would help some. 

Even just making the ship faster, by itself or with a speed boost, would help. 

Any one or a combination of thesechanges would actually make the ship more comfortable. 

Maybe I don't understand the concepts of this line - I seem to recall "defensive" being used but - I really don't see how these are. Smoke in no way allows for any real cover for you or friendly ships, the torps with the stealth and their own range aren't the greatest at driving anything from a cap or scaring a BB off, the guns shells so are as people say "Floaty" and not great at taking out other DD's, nor it's RoF to make something reconsider, and no speed with which to escape or get to another cap/area to defend. After another look, it's like you strip the speed and speed boost from Gallant, give it worse HP and 2 km less torp range and that's Acasta, which is basically stripping everything that makes Gallant playable away. Maybe the ships after are better and this is that one ship in the line that just makes you bang your head on the wall, but especially reading back of 7.9's patch notes where it seems like 5 and 6 are supposed to be more about their torps, and 7 and 8 about guns - this really does not give a great first impression of the line.

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
290 posts
1,890 battles

If you don't have max concealment (in this case a 10 pt capt CE and camo), you're just a bad gunboat.

Defensive means opportunistic.  Try to never engage unless on your terms.  Frequently that means spot enemy DDs until your team kills them, not dropping camo or smoke to give yourself away like you do in more outright powerful DDs.  It also means things like flank BBs and use torps where able from stealth, otherwise engage with guns only when their turrets are pointed the other way, if they turn to engage smoke to break lock and run out of spotting range and ambush someone else.

They're not great boats at 1v1, the best you have is island corner torp dump with single fire, hoping to obliterate a threat.  You can't outrun, you can't outgun (much), you can't tank, you have to leverage the full package.  That said, T7/8 start to get "fun", the 5/6 aren't that amazing, just "workable".  They do learn you quick out of bad habbits it seems.

Edited by FlakKnight
  • Cool 1

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Guess tier 5 needed the “the worst tier 5 DD” slot to be filled with the new RN rollout.   Only keeping it around till the event over (for RN DD specific missions), and only for Co-op battles.  If acceleration and not losing speed in turns is the only selling points,      terrible shell ballistics, lousy torps, poor speed, short range hydro that can only be used for torp avoidance and short smoke more then counter any positives the boat may have.  

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
290 posts
1,890 battles

If nothing else, the T8 is really fun.  It has one of if not the lowest concealment in T10 brackets, so you can punish other DDs.

Members
5 posts
5,275 battles

I've had a lack of success with the torps even though I think the single-fires are a real advantage. I think a big part of that is the relative lack of speed and high concealment making it tough to get into a good striking place with them. I've found the guns to be moderately effective. The speed boost feels like a real loss and the smoke is just enough to get out of sight, fire a couple salvos and launch torps and then try to get the hell out. Low hit points hurt as well. I want to see how it plays with concealment expert (my campbelltown captain only had 7 pts) though before making too many judgements.

I'm sure this info is out there somewhere, but does anyone know if this is basically the unupgraded A hull or the fully upgraded B/C hull we're playing with? I've been assuming the former.

Edited by IronDuke13

[CVA16]
Members
2,316 posts
9,901 battles

Just got the mission. Don't have it yet. Comments here kind take away the motivation to grind the mission to get it. Is the general consensus that it is meh or bad? If nothing else it is a port slot...

[MIA-A]
Members
2,046 posts
9,905 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Just got the mission. Don't have it yet. Comments here kind take away the motivation to grind the mission to get it. Is the general consensus that it is meh or bad? If nothing else it is a port slot...

More meh than bad in my opinion.  I enjoy playing meh ships at low tier as it presents a challenge (examples: Emerald, T-22, New York) so I enjoy Acasta.  Good ships at low tier just feels mean half the time. Could use a bit more torp range, though.

[EFEWE]
Members
63 posts
4,982 battles

@IronDuke13 It has both hull options already bought but you need to change it yourself, same goes for the gun upgrade. I played a couple battles before I checked on that too.

[DENY]
Members
354 posts
4,796 battles

Rn DD are mean to be played differently than other line , I personally like the lighting already put 200k XP on it for Jutland , 36kts is fast enough for me no problem with the speed , rn DD got some of the best concealment but you need a 10pts Capt minimum

[CVA16]
Members
2,316 posts
9,901 battles
13 hours ago, dad003 said:

rn DD got some of the best concealment but you need a 10pts Capt minimum

Are there any DDs where you don't NEED a 10pt captain? Some NEED a 14 pt captain to really shine.

Members
5 posts
5,275 battles
17 hours ago, TheTrickpony said:

@IronDuke13 It has both hull options already bought but you need to change it yourself, same goes for the gun upgrade. I played a couple battles before I checked on that too.

Thanks for that. I honestly didn't look at it close enough the first time I browsed through that section. Felt like I could do more with the upgraded modules on it, but the same basic flaws are still there. I'll echo the comment earlier up that it's not a BAD ship, but it definitely takes effort to get it to produce.

[GLF]
Members
778 posts
9,416 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Are there any DDs where you don't NEED a 10pt captain? Some NEED a 14 pt captain to really shine.

Plenty of DDs can club hard with a 3 pt.  You kinda need at least 3 to get last stand though no matter what. 

I still wish i could take my umi out in higher tier matches than 3-4.    Clubbing 6-7's in umikaze was the most fun i've had in this game

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles

I got the mission for Acasta yesterday and completed it to get the ship.  Glad I only tested out in Co-op and not in Randoms.  Terrible DD.

Sh*t concealment.

AWFUL gun angles.

Very mediocre torpedoes.

Sh*t smoke.

No RN DD Hydro that the line starts accessing in Tier VI, so Acasta in Tier V is hosed.

Nonexistent AA.

Mediocre handling characteristics.

There's nothing redeeming of this DD.

The only positive I have out of Acasta was that I never paid for any RN Crates, I got her from one of the free event crates.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PSV]
Beta Testers
4 posts
8,614 battles

I really think it depends on the player who is operating the ship. One has to recognize the fact that it is not a hybrid DD. It is a gunboat focused DD much like the Fletcher. 

To master Acasta one would need to understand the RN smoke.

The unique properties of RN DD smoke allow it to stay in the cap for prolonged periods allowing it to hold its position with the support of another DD. 

HE isn't very reliable, thus one must also master the art of pressing 2. AP on soft targets can add up to 2000 + salvos every 4~5 seconds.

Enemy pushing into your smoke gets easily counter by single firing torpedos. 

Although I have only played 2 games, I average around 47,000 damage without hitting a single torpedo. 

image.thumb.png.40399d92e7d5b52bcb1e3130824eb765.png

Then again I'm also the person who said T-22 is OP.... Really depends on the player.

[WOLFC]
Members
89 posts
3,700 battles
On 9/25/2018 at 10:56 AM, Sabot_100 said:

I suspect there are a lot of people who get to tier 5 without a 10 pt captain.   

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles
10 hours ago, Anonymous50 said:

Even without the Full Stealth Build, you can see the issues the DD has.

The concealment would be in-line with typical DDs of mid tier.  That's not the problem.

But it has bad gun angles, bad smoke, and to top it off, it doesn't even have a major characteristic of Tier VI+ RN DDs:  Hydro

Icarus can play a short ranged fight with another DD, smoke and all, and still have Hydro going to spot the torps and maybe spot the other DD in their own smoke, if the fight was close enough.  Acasta doesn't have that ability.  It has the negatives of the line without one of its great defining features.

[CVA16]
Members
2,316 posts
9,901 battles
11 hours ago, Anonymous50 said:

Kind of depends on what you are facing. Lower tiers, many of your opponents may not have 10pt captains, so you are at least on equal footing.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, mingyu0911 said:

Although I have only played 2 games, I average around 47,000 damage without hitting a single torpedo

You are obviously better than average with DDs, both gunboat and ninja. Interested in seeing where things fall when you have some more games in her.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
On 9/29/2018 at 2:08 AM, mingyu0911 said:

One has to recognize the fact that it is not a hybrid DD. It is a gunboat focused DD much like the Fletcher.

I find it very similar to Akizuki, actually.  The most obvious difference being that the short-lived smoke forces you to use terrain rather than creating your own concealment to shoot from.  Acasta's small size & good maneuverability do allow for more open-water firing than Akizuki, though, and those short-lived but fast-reloading smokes are perfect for breaking contact when necessary.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, WanderingGhost said:

So, unlike the last several times, I actually got a mission for Acasta, got the XP, and gave it a go.

This was my second battle in Acasta, using a 10-point captain I'd stashed away for the RN destroyer line (PT, LS, BFT, CE).  The battle goes to hell toward the end as my team evaporates & I get forced into a 1v3 in desperation time, but the tactics I use up to that point are pretty much ideal for this ship:

(This was easily my best Acasta battle thus far from a statistical standpoint, but I can upload a few other more typical games if you (or anyone else) would like me to.)

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
42 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I find it very similar to Akizuki, actually.  The most obvious difference being that the short-lived smoke forces you to use terrain rather than creating your own concealment to shoot from.  Acasta's small size & good maneuverability do allow for more open-water firing than Akizuki, though, and those short-lived but fast-reloading smokes are perfect for breaking contact when necessary.

This was my second battle in Acasta, using a 10-point captain I'd stashed away for the RN destroyer line (PT, LS, BFT, CE).  The battle goes to hell toward the end as my team evaporates & I get forced into a 1v3 in desperation time, but the tactics I use up to that point are pretty much ideal for this ship:

(This was easily my best Acasta battle thus far from a statistical standpoint, but I can upload a few other more typical games if you (or anyone else) would like me to.)

My Akizuki just committed ritual suicide after seeing you compared it to Acasta. I hope you are happy now.

• Funny 3

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,478 posts
8,157 battles
5 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Stashed a 10 pointer away as well cause I have Gallant. I've found tactics to make it work, but still doesn't change my opinion of the ship. Still needs some kind of comfort tweak that makes it just a little better.

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,913 battles

My first game in Acosta was a 6-kill Kraken while uptiered to T7. Mostly used the guns, both in open water and sitting in smoke, with the occasional ambush torp around an island. 0-point captain and non-premium consumables. Didn’t love the boat, but anyone saying you “need” a 10-point captain or whatever... no.

The short smoke wasn’t much of a problem.  You shouldn’t be sitting very long anyway.  The guns seemed to work pretty well, and I used AP against a broadside Pensa.  Was able to bully other DD’s, pushing them out of their smoke and stealing it for myself, thanks. Also, don’t be afraid to shoot and get spotted in situations where they need to turn turrets to return fire.  I trolled a Gneisenau into wasting 20 seconds turning turrets toward me, only to vanish.  He then wasted another 20s pointing back the other way again.  As for the torp range, well at T5 there’s no stealth torping expect for the Minekaze so it’s not too different.  Use the island ambush technique.

Guess I’d agree it feels “meh” but all T5’s feel meh to me now :)  It’s more about you than the boat.

Edited by n00bot

[RNDM]
Members
127 posts
2,922 battles

I like it provided I'm playing in Tier V or VI since VII is normally a stretch for me in most tier V DDs. I can generally have a decent game at these tiers in this ship. Won multiple CL and DD duels in this one. Just have to use alot of WASD hacks and those single fire torps in ambushes using island and smoke cover. Definitely more involved then some of the other ships I've played but I think that makes it more fun. Also using 6 point captain on her so no CE just yet. Really looking forward to the rest of this line.

image.thumb.png.28c3656019ce88ec7f7f7b9c4f14dcf1.png

As a side note, does anyone recommend getting Bert Dunkirk for a RN DD captain? Have Jack for my CLs and like that alot, but I am just not sure if I should risk not getting enough sovereigns for both Bert and a Gallent. I have 130 right now and do not(yet) plan to spend money to buy anything for this event.