You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Arms Race is the best thing to happen to this game since the captain skills reboot

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles

This mode is excellent.   It really eliminates all the stale, boring play that characterizes so much of high-tier play!

IMO, it ought to replace randoms for Tiers 9+.

Just need to adjust it so it qualifies for mission grinding and special awards.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
2,985 posts
4,399 battles

a game mode that forces all the tier9,tier10 campers to move?

it's pretty good.

[VW]
Members
1,936 posts
12,496 battles
9 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

a game mode that forces all the tier9,tier10 campers to move?

it's pretty good.

Played one earlier, the bbs kept camping. The q time was as long as atier 1 match. The rewards were not good, not sure it’s worth me time.

Edited by monpetitloup

Beta Testers
2,985 posts
4,399 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

Played one earlier, the bbs kept camping. The q time was as long as atier 1 match. The rewards were not good, not sure it’s worth me time.

the mode encourages to risk yourself for OP buffs,why they would camp is beyond my brain processing power.

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
727 posts
4,153 battles

I disagree that it should replace randoms, it really shouldn't.

HOWEVER. I have enjoyed playing it to relax and it's been a nice change.

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
14,021 battles

Love Arms Race. I just wish the matches would count towards legendary upgrades.

• Cool 3

[VW]
Members
1,936 posts
12,496 battles
7 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

the mode encourages to risk yourself for OP buffs,why they would camp is beyond my brain processing power.

But not theirs.

[BBC]
Members
933 posts
12,324 battles

this mode is great. no one will risk their t10 ship for a cap but dangle a 10% reload buff  in front of them and its full steam ahead !  dam the torpedoes ! and everyone moves in for close range damaging combat !

• Cool 1

Members
416 posts
35 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I think that it depends on the teams. I played AR for the first time yesterday in my Gearing, and made almost 800k credits. It is a bonkers mode, and I wish that it counted toward Legendary Modules.

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

a game mode that forces all the tier9, tier10 campers to move?

it's pretty good.

The reason that ships don't move is islands.  People want to use cover to either be able to shoot at enemies without being spotted or being able to be shot at, or to use partial cover to limit the number of people who can shoot at them.  What a freaking shocker!  

If you want people to move, then don't give them islands to hide behind.  End of story.  Without islands, you're usually going to have to move unless you're in a ship with strong armor, or you can fight from smoke.  

This isn't rocket science.  Give people hard cover or concealment, whether they're in tanks or ships, and they WILL use it.  If you don't want people fighting from behind islands, get rid of islands.  About the only time when islands can't be used for hard cover or concealment is when they're low, flat atolls, and even then, they can be used as barriers against torpedoes.

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles

I honestly do not like this mode.  I don't like the cheesy boosters.  The only thing I do like is the delayed cap concept, though I'm not sure I like the monstrously fast cap points gain. 

I'd love to see the delayed cap concept used in random battles, though with slower cap points increase rates.  A big problem that I have with normal domination mode is that it focuses all the combat on a small number of arbitrary areas on the map.  But with a delayed domination mode, players would be free to roam the map looking to engage the enemy team for a while before the caps appeared.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, Rumple010 said:

Love Arms Race. I just wish the matches would count towards legendary upgrades.

This! :cap_like:

<edit> Oh and the achievements awards like Kraken etc.!

Edited by Ramsalot

[VW]
Members
1,936 posts
12,496 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The reason that ships don't move is islands.  People want to use cover to either be able to shoot at enemies without being spotted or being able to be shot at, or to use partial cover to limit the number of people who can shoot at them.  What a freaking shocker!  

If you want people to move, then don't give them islands to hide behind.  End of story.  Without islands, you're usually going to have to move unless you're in a ship with strong armor, or you can fight from smoke.  

This isn't rocket science.  Give people hard cover or concealment, whether they're in tanks or ships, and they WILL use it.  If you don't want people fighting from behind islands, get rid of islands.  About the only time when islands can't be used for hard cover or concealment is when they're low, flat atolls, and even then, they can be used as barriers against torpedoes.

Ocean!!!!

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,528 battles

I disagree OP,

Arms Race isn't that great.  Too many times have I seen:

a. The majority buff circles on the other side of the map (of course near the enemy, just the way it randomly ends up).

b. Players who don't understand the mode and count on the DDs to trigger all the buffs for the team.  Once the DDs are gone its game over for them.

c. At the start of the match, big groups sail off to one extreme side of the map chasing one buff, while they should be more distributed.

d. Some players, who must be used to co-op just charge right out there , even though they have the camo value of the state of Alaska and they die quickly (I guess this is a Random mode thing too)

e. Its typically over before the cap circle appears

So I hope they rework the mode.  Also +1 to the guy who mentioned these dont count toward legendary modules.  Come on WG, fix that, took me a few games before I realized I wasn't getting credit.

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Ocean!!!!

Well, ya.  But let's be real.  They're not going to have this game have only one map.

But at the same time, the reality is that if you provide people usable terrain, people WILL use that terrain to the best advantage possible.  IMO, players need to stop complaining about other players using terrain for what it's been put in the game for.  But if people want a game that's more about fire and maneuver and not about fighting ships like they're terrain hugging tanks, then those people should start banging the drums and demanding Ocean be used more, and that WG create more and more extremely open maps, rather than maps that are choked with tall, line of sight and line of fire obstructing islands.

[VW]
Members
1,936 posts
12,496 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, ya.  But let's be real.  They're not going to have this game have only one map.

But at the same time, the reality is that if you provide people usable terrain, people WILL use that terrain to the best advantage possible.  IMO, players need to stop complaining about other players using terrain for what it's been put in the game for.  But if people want a game that's more about fire and maneuver and not about fighting ships like they're terrain hugging tanks, then those people should start banging the drums and demanding Ocean be used more, and that WG create more and more extremely open maps, rather than maps that are choked with tall, line of sight and line of fire obstructing islands.

At least let me see it as often as i see the other maps

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
4 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

At least let me see it as often as i see the other maps

Hey, that wouldn't bother me one bit.  I'm of the opinion that having Ocean be so rare means that some people don't even have a good idea of how to play it.  Also, they see it so rarely that they can have bad luck on those rare times they do see it and be in a ship that's rather poorly suited to Ocean, such as USN CL's.

I really, really wish that WG could have the good sense to put Ocean back in the rotation for battle tiers 6-10.

Members
855 posts
3,587 battles

I'm glad someone likes It, I thought it was lame. I played one game of it and that is all I could stand. 

I hate the entire idea of it. 

[VW]
Members
1,936 posts
12,496 battles
8 hours ago, Crucis said:

Hey, that wouldn't bother me one bit.  I'm of the opinion that having Ocean be so rare means that some people don't even have a good idea of how to play it.  Also, they see it so rarely that they can have bad luck on those rare times they do see it and be in a ship that's rather poorly suited to Ocean, such as USN CL's.

I really, really wish that WG could have the good sense to put Ocean back in the rotation for battle tiers 6-10.

Last time i played ocean was in a buffalo and finished top 3 in a tier 10 cv match. Us cl can do well there just need to shake yourself from the lobotomized hide behind island press radar spam he dont move mentality.

i think it needs to be added for all tiers (scaled appropriately), theres no reason why all players shouldnt get the ocean experience.

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
14 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Last time i played ocean was in a buffalo and finished top 3 in a tier 10 cv match. Us cl can do well there just need to shake yourself from the lobotomized hide behind island press radar spam he dont move mentality.

i think it needs to be added for all tiers (scaled appropriately), theres no reason why all players shouldnt get the ocean experience.

There really ought to be 2 versions of Ocean, a smaller mid tier version and a larger (than the current ocean) version for high tier ships.  The current version is a little too large for mid tiers and a little too small for high tiers.

A ship like the Woostah can do OK on Ocean, particularly if it mounts the increased gun range upgrade in slot 6.  It may not be the most accurate long range HE spammer, but it can out such a high rate of fire that you can still get your share of long range hits on BBs.  Or you can try to play the stealthy Radar CL, maybe working with a DD willing to smoke you up.

And I agree that playing Ocean forces players to think outside of the island hugging meta.  But Ocean should be a great map for DDs with all that open space.  Great for gunboat DDs because you don't have to worry about running into islands.  Great for torpedo boats because there so much room to roam, though yes, there are no islands to use  to break contact.  You need to use your smoke and smarts to break contact.  Or try to get better at avoiding contact in the first place.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,256 battles

This game mode could have been great if :

1 - It wasn't only T9-10 : repair cost are too high

2 - if the playerbase wasn't too stupid (especially DD) : They rush to take bonuses, die in less than 3 min and the game is lost. The red team get all the bonuses thanks to their DD who are alive and it becomes damage farming simulator.

• Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles
8 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

This game mode could have been great if :

1 - It wasn't only T9-10 : repair cost are too high

2 - if the playerbase wasn't too stupid (especially DD) : They rush to take bonuses, die in less than 3 min and the game is lost. The red team get all the bonuses thanks to their DD who are alive and it becomes damage farming simulator.

I'm ignoring #2 because this one will or may be true no matter what the mode is.

Regarding #1, I don't know if the underlying goal of Arms Race is to reduce the queue size for tier 9's and 10's in randoms as a backdoor way of improving things for tier 7's and 8's.  But if true, then allowing tiers below 9 would invalidate the entire underlying purpose of Arms Race.  

As for service costs being too high, they're only high if you're not willing (for whatever reason, and yes some are legit) to pay for premium time, and/or use economic flags, etc.  This is an old complaint that's not changing.  Service fees can be reduced (or your income increased) in various ways, usually requiring real money.  Or you can play a couple of battles in the mid tiers to pay for a high tier battle.  There's nothing new here.