You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GoldPile

Please Revert Back to the Old Overpen Ribbon

16 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles

I just got 3 penetrations! Wait a minute...

:cap_wander:

Those were overpens!

I'm not sure why there was a need to make it look visually similar to the penetration ribbon, especially the 2 red bars on the side. I would understand if it was a different color... like blue. Now I have to double check myself to see if I actually penetrated someone or if I just overpenned. I kindly ask the devs to revert back to the old ribbon, or at least change the color of the 2 red bars.

Edited by GoldPile
  • Cool 10

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

I get so many over pens anyway...I just look at the damage ticks. Maybe th y can change it to the laughing troll face?

• Funny 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,029 battles

I usually just look at the damage number and calculate what must of happened - those ribbons are surprisingly unreliable. At least once every couple games I will have a shell hit for something weird like pen + overpen, 2x pen, citadel + pen, 2x overpen, overpen + 1/2 pen, etc. even though the ribbon insists I only got one hit and there is not supposed to be this kind of double-dipping going on. 

Basically, something isn't working as intended. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,417 posts
3,875 battles
2 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I usually just look at the damage number and calculate what must of happened - those ribbons are surprisingly unreliable. At least once every couple games I will have a shell hit for something weird like pen + overpen, 2x pen, citadel + pen, 2x overpen, overpen + 1/2 pen, etc. even though the ribbon insists I only got one hit and there is not supposed to be this kind of double-dipping going on. 

You're observing the bug that destroyer players have been complaining about for the past 2 years.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,029 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

You're observing the bug that destroyer players have been complaining about for the past 2 years.

It's not just destroyers though - I have gotten some weird volleys on BBs and CA/CLs as well. It's possible it isn't a bug - maybe shells are SUPPOSED to do more damage if they penetrate multiple sections of a ship, but just rarely do so on larger vessels. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,832 posts
9,582 battles
3 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

It's not just destroyers though - I have gotten some weird volleys on BBs and CA/CLs as well. It's possible it isn't a bug - maybe shells are SUPPOSED to do more damage if they penetrate multiple sections of a ship, but just rarely do so on larger vessels. 

They’re not supposed to. 

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,305 battles

One always gets a bit of bias towards the way things always were with this sort of change, but I'm fairly sure that the old ribbons were actually better. Especially when playing something with a high fire rate it is rare that you'll have enough time to look directly at your ribbons, so keeping them visually distinct (ESPECIALLY in the colors) so that they can be recognized with a simple glance to your peripheral vision, is extremely helpful. In my mind what WG should do is try to distinguish overpens from shatters and bounces with the use of different colors, and to maybe change the shape of the ribbon depending upon how many of each you've scored, so you don't have to actually read the little number in the bottom right corner (this could be accomplished by having additional ribbons stack over each other, so they never take up too much space).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,621 posts
9,014 battles
11 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Ah, the famous or should I say infamous double dip. It is a bug that goes back to alpha but it is so random that they have never tried to fix it.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,417 posts
3,875 battles
10 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

No, it's a bug. It's just most noticable on destroyers due to their low health pool. I appreciate you confirming it happens on other ship types.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles
19 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

One always gets a bit of bias towards the way things always were with this sort of change, but I'm fairly sure that the old ribbons were actually better. Especially when playing something with a high fire rate it is rare that you'll have enough time to look directly at your ribbons, so keeping them visually distinct (ESPECIALLY in the colors) so that they can be recognized with a simple glance to your peripheral vision, is extremely helpful. In my mind what WG should do is try to distinguish overpens from shatters and bounces with the use of different colors, and to maybe change the shape of the ribbon depending upon how many of each you've scored, so you don't have to actually read the little number in the bottom right corner (this could be accomplished by having additional ribbons stack over each other, so they never take up too much space).

I don't think the OP has an issue with a change to the ribbon itself. The issue is the pen and overpen ribbons look so similar now at a glance you don't know which it was unless you take location into account. I thought the same thing when I saw it. I agree change the color to something else so it looks different.

This reminds me of old replay videos of the game I see where Citadel ribbons were yellow like incapacitation ribbons. For the longest time I didn't realize that when watching the videos and people were like "citadeled him". I thought "no you didn't???". LOL. I like how the citadel ribbons are black and distinct now. I think pen/over pen should look different as well. I think they all should look different actually.

Btw, you can still see the old ribbons styles here. Look at the citadel and incapacitation ribbons. You have to look close and at the icon to see the difference with the same background color.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/guides/advanced-honors-and-awards/

I would like to see them change the stripe color on the hit ribbons so each is different. Keep the gray background but maybe something like...

• Penetration - keep the existing orange stripe on a gray background
  • Over Penetration - use a blue stripe on a gray background
  • Shatter -  use a green or black stripe on a gray background
  • Bounce - keep the existing white stripe on a gray background

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,657 battles

I would also like them to do something about the graphic to make it look less like a full pen. I get that the old graphic looked too much like a ricochet, but this new one is too visually similar to a regular penetration when viewed quickly. Alternative colors (orange, or maybe dark/light red) would probably be enough.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

I agree, with the quick look you give those ribbons the over pen looks similar to the pen. Change the color or something so it's easily distinguishable. Just a small change that makes life better.