You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Early Unlock ships.

5 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,265 posts
4,224 battles

Applicable to both the French battleships in February and the British destroyers now, as well as any future line releases or splits.

The real benefit from unlocking the Bretagne/Acasta did not come from just unlocking that ship (and having time in which to build up XP on it for the line release).

The real benefit came from winning an unlock of the Normandie/Icarus.

This was actually brought home to me last week by my unlocking of the Helena. I already have the Cleveland at T8 from the split, and all that leaves me to do for the Helena is to research the improved fire control and hull B. After that, any play can be completed at leisure because the next ship in line is (for me) already there.

With the Bretagne/Acasta, I did not even have to research hulls, engines or fire control systems. But if I had not won the Normandie/Icarus, I would have had to grind whatever XP remained between Hull B and (in these particular cases) Tier VI.

Unless I win the Jervis as an unlock, I will still have to grind out about 70K XP in the Icarus, just as I had to do so in the Normandie. But with the Acasta, the pressure is completely off and I can play her as, if and when I please. And with the performance pressure off, I might even play her better and enjoy her more.

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles

The only one I don't have is Lightening, and I have already started to grind XP in Jervis to get her. Got the other three in crate missions, Jervis 1st, which allowed me to complete all the DD missions and got me the other two.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,265 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Got the other three in crate missions, Jervis 1st, which allowed me to complete all the DD missions and got me the other two.

You lucky SOB. :Smile_honoring:

I am beginning to wonder if Cossack is going to be as cheap for me as I hoped. Kids' after-school activities get later and later as they grow older, and this has the potential to cut deeply into my playing time and possibly prevent the completion of some guinea tasks. Oh well... I will see how cheap I can make her by the time it's all done. Best thing is the whole thing is over long before the Guineas have to be cashed in (on January 7, I believe), so my position will be clear. And there is always the possibility of a supercontainer or a Santa crate in the meantime...

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,887 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You lucky SOB. :Smile_honoring:

I am beginning to wonder if Cossack is going to be as cheap for me as I hoped. Kids' after-school activities get later and later as they grow older, and this has the potential to cut deeply into my playing time and possibly prevent the completion of some guinea tasks. Oh well... I will see how cheap I can make her by the time it's all done. Best thing is the whole thing is over long before the Guineas have to be cashed in (on January 7, I believe), so my position will be clear. And there is always the possibility of a supercontainer or a Santa crate in the meantime...

I think it's easy to earn the Guineas. The directive missions can be done at the same time, and with the 10 Guineas for $1 offer you can skip 8 of them. I needed at a average about 2 hours to finish them.

While some players enjoy low/mid tier games I'm rather up for T8+. So any of the ships that can be unlocked reduces the time I need to get to T8 and higher. Plus the camos and flags I don't need.

Yeah all those kids, makes me happy that we decided to get a dog :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,265 posts
4,224 battles
33 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Yeah all those kids, makes me happy that we decided to get a dog

We have three of those as well (a breeding pair plus one of the three puppies they turned out before breeding was done with).

I have the ten guineas, but I don't want to rely on that eight-guinea buffer at such an early stage of the game.