You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Gax_

Does anyone else play like this?

27 comments in this topic

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

My daily grinds start out by cycling between Gaede, Podvoisky, Hatsuharu, North Carolina and Danae. Never playing each ship twice in a row. 

I keep rotating each ship till I've gotten 2k xp in it with the North Carolina being 10K xp. As some of the ships get the xp I want in them I rotate in other lines I'm looking to advance but have lower priority on. 

Does anyone else do something even similar or am I the lone wolf on this?

[WORX]
Members
1,862 posts
12,904 battles
1 minute ago, Sped_Gax said:

Statistically speaking, you'll bond to find someone who has an equal ritual but with different ships.

Me on the other hand, I either end up playing a flame thrower cruiser OR a torp DD. Sometimes I venture to tier X, or I grind out a line for a awhile to reach a tier X ship.

Like you I am also curious who else has unique rituals when they play..

[WOLF2]
Members
92 posts
10,163 battles

As a struggling hack, I always play ships I have the highest win rate in first......

NT

[S0L0]
Members
226 posts
5,425 battles

I come up with a goal, like "today, I should improve on my destroyer play" , or "geez, I hadn't played this ship in a while" and I'll just play the ships that fit that description for the day. 

Now there's the British missions and ill pick the ships that'll be the fastest/ efficient at finishing them. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,848 posts
13,067 battles

At most, I'll have two ships that I'm grinding for some reason...either a line grind or a special grind (e.g., the Personal Missions).  But my play is mostly just to have fun.  So, I'll pretty much just decide what to play based on whatever I feel like.  Anything from T4 to T10.  Any type...except CV.  If i feel like it, I'll run one of the two ships I'm grinding.  The difference is when flagging (or Camo) will help the grind, I'll flag/camo appropriately.

Bottom Line:  I play for "fun" and let all the other things fall into place.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
1 minute ago, JB_24 said:

Now there's the British missions and ill pick the ships that'll be the fastest/ efficient at finishing them

With the british missions my North Carolina is best because I'm using xp camos and economic flags. 

[PVE]
Members
9,767 posts
7,478 battles

I am focusing on grinding Fushun, Queen Elizabeth, Neuve de Julio and Helena, but I'm grinding all of the following ships roughly in the order they are listed.

Cleveland, Yorck, Gneisenau, North Carolina, Richelieu, Myoko, Mahan, Fiji, Algerie, Shchors, Nagato, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Maass, Minsk, Ryujo, Independence, and Ognevoi.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
11 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Bottom Line:  I play for "fun" and let all the other things fall into place.

That's the only way to play. It prevents rage quits. 

[RST]
Members
333 posts
6,912 battles

Often I do something similar, although for me it is more along the lines of "I want to reach a particular ship by this time frame, so I need to average "__" XP in it daily" and then I play that to get the goal XP per session, typically 1-3 games is where I'll target.  For example, I wanted to get Hindenberg before the wargaming birthday and I was starting Roon, so I divided the XP needed by days I assumed I had (I used about 10 Sep to build in some cushion) and then started grinding away...had my Hindenburg in plenty of time with no real sweat. 

[BLHK]
Members
350 posts
3,449 battles
43 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

My daily grinds start out by cycling between Gaede, Podvoisky, Hatsuharu, North Carolina and Danae. Never playing each ship twice in a row. 

I keep rotating each ship till I've gotten 2k xp in it with the North Carolina being 10K xp. As some of the ships get the xp I want in them I rotate in other lines I'm looking to advance but have lower priority on. 

Similar concept, just different processes. I usually set myself two  tasks to complete (using different ships) and I will grind those to completion. As each task is completed I move to the next task on my list. Oddly enough since I have made myself focus like this, I have found the daily mission chains, daily tasks etc seem to be just completing themselves.

Right now I am grinding a US 19point captain and working the Japanese campaign. Next task is to grind from Tier 9 to Tier 10 on the US cruiser line

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
20 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Similar concept, just different processes. I usually set myself two  tasks to complete (using different ships) and I will grind those to completion. As each task is completed I move to the next task on my list. Oddly enough since I have made myself focus like this, I have found the daily mission chains, daily tasks etc seem to be just completing themselves.

Right now I am grinding a US 19point captain and working the Japanese campaign. Next task is to grind from Tier 9 to Tier 10 on the US cruiser line

Well my two goals are grinding to Montana for first Tier 10. Also grinding my first 19 point commander. Hence why I make sure why I get 10k xp per day in the north Carolina.

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,057 battles

I used to play the ships I was grinding to the next one. Which is easy to do exclusively until tier 8 or so, after that the credit costs for keeping all ships kind of forced me into playing Operations mode almost exclusively, for credits.

shot-18_09.24_10_56.45-0680.thumb.jpg.da97e6793bcb96a19e8262be20f75574.jpg

I mark the ships I am grinding as primary ships (exception Missouri) and as you can see, I am grinding 11 tier 9 ships, of which more than half don't even have the upgrades yet. Free XP ships and credits is the culprit, because saving Free XP and not using it for upgrades any more and the amazing amount of credits it takes to outfit tier 9 and 10 ships have slowed my progress to a snails pace. So basically, how I play is dictated, by how I chose to play the game and that is, to have all the ships in my port. My play style is governed by the economy more than anything else. Probably not once I have all the ships though.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PIZZA]
Members
22 posts
1,248 battles

I mostly just try to get the daily bonuses for the stuff I'm grinding, which at the moment is Minsk, Hipper, Dallas and Henri (for Personal Missions/Commander XP). Then I just play whatever seems like fun at the time.

Edited by Recury
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,302 battles

I play the lines I'm grinding, though I sometimes forget which those are because I mostly hate the ships I'm grinding right now. 

Because of the missions, right now, I play the two ships I feel worst in first. Then the 4 ships I feel best in... purely to get the missions out of the way. 

I have several of the T10 legendary missions, so I might play a few of those as well. 

Also playing the Gallant as much as possible. 

It sounds like a lot, but I really only play 5 or 6 games a day. Pick from the above and go for it. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,108 posts

On ordinary days, it is the interminable upgrade grind(I would really like a word in private with whoever came up with 40K Base XP), when they do the 200% XP bonus, then I start at one end of the ship carousel and work to the other end.

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,125 battles

If you mean playing different lines at the same pace rather than focusing on one ship to grind, yes.

I advocate for playing all lines evenly for the best learning experience.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
2 hours ago, Sped_Gax said:

am I the lone wolf on this

Well, you're probably not a Lone Wolf or else you'd be in a Lone Wolf Clan. OK, just kidding... bad jokes aside:

My routine is to start out in Co-op with the ships that are still not upgraded, playing them each once to get the daily win bonus. And to warm up. And that is usually a solid start on the available Missions and Challenges. I don't use any flags or camos in Co-op (base earnings are lower so the flags and camos are less efficient in co-op). I don't want to take those ships into randoms unprepared, so I grind the upgrades in Co-op.

After that, when I'm feeling good, I dive into Randoms with the one ship that I am really focusing on. The ship in the line that I am grinding up to my first Tier 10 and also my first 19 Point Commander. At the moment I have the Benson (T8 USN DD) with a 17 Point Commander in it. I will use all the Camo/Signals/Special Signals I can in Randoms to speed that ship and commander along. And to play some really challenging battles. This is the real substance of the game for me.

At some point in there I will play Operations with a Premium ship to help add XP to the Commander I am focusing on (Sims in Dynamo anyone?).

After I have played my most important ship a bunch, at some point -- especially after a string of losses -- I move on to other fun stuff.

Lower tier Random battles in ships that I want to play just for fun. (Don't get me wrong -- every game is fun, but Tier 8 Randoms can also be frustrating). I tend to focus on ships with my lowest Win Rate from months ago when I started the game. I'm going back and getting better in all those.

And sometimes I'll finish off with 2 or 3 games in Tier 1 because that's a whole other ball game: it's clean and simple but still challenging in a different way. I usually do well enough at Tier 1 to make up for some of my losses at higher tiers (except when I get shellacked by the folks who really know what they are doing in the Hermelin or Black Swan or Orlan). Fun times.

So basically: I play a lot of different ships and different tiers every day at the same time as I am focusing on getting good in one specific ship and line. A combination of strategies -- trying to do it all really. I'm probably spread too thin, but there are so many different aspects to this game and it's so dang much fun that I just can't stay more focused.

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,113 posts
4,217 battles

I'm retired so I play different during the day because my son & our friends are at work. I usually rotate through the ships allowed in the Operation of the Week. Since I have started doing this my random play is improving. In the evening we rotate choosing tier and type of battle. I had to buy the Sims to play dynamo. While I rarely play a DD, I have played one enough to seriously doubt if Dynamo will improve my DD play in randoms. But now I have a DD to play in the T7 scenarios. I will catch some salt.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,772 battles

No.

I have 3 ships at tier 9 I'm grinding and 2 carriers at tier 6 I really don't play.

Rest of the released lines are at tier 10.

If I div up I play with the tier the div wants, otherwise:

I play 1 to 2 battles trying for first win bonus on the 3 grinding ships.

I play for fun, whatever usually doesn't matter.

[BNC]
Members
275 posts

I usually play the 10-12 ships I am "working on" daily. I mostly stick to co-op now since the bots act like random players (run away and Rambo) and I don't have to listen to whining.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,733 battles

I eat the food on my plate from least favorite to most favorite.  The OCD is strong in this community.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I stick to the ships that I like playing for fun.  I despise grinding, so I spend my early(ish) days in wows to grind out certain number of ships I thought I would enjoy, I no longer grind.

These days I usually stick to playing Yamato (w. legendary upgrade) and Republique.  Sometimes I jump on Missouri and Musashi, recently throwing Kronshtadt into the mix.  Kronshtadt is starting to grow on me, especially with the arms race - you can get into radar range of the objective(s) and have some fun.  Missouri is also awesome for close in radar support.  Musashi works real well in mid to close range on arms race, where accuracy matters less and faster reload and turret traverse (over Yamato with legendary) starts to pay out. 

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,338 battles

Much the same for me, just with fewer ships. I focus on 2 at a time. Then sometimes, like now, I just wonder around my port aimlessly picking up random ships.

Members
161 posts
3,009 battles

What I play is generally dictated by how much time I have.  I have a group of ships I'm grinding, mostly at mid tiers, I play some of them every day, then I play ships I have fun in, like Graf Spee, or Fubuki, and Scharnhorst, really whatever suits me that day.  Unless there is some event going on, or one of my favorite OPs is up that week.

[WOSV]
Members
332 posts
2,226 battles

Lately I've been rotating North Carolina, Baltimore, Prinz Eugen, and Hood. Though my play time is drastically reduced thanks to work and school, but a lot of my friends are still grinding up the line and have just gotten to Teir VII, which is why I've been trying to run Hood more. I've ventured to run Atlanta with them from time to time, with some success. I'm still grinding North Carolina and Baltimore, though I'm further along with Balti I want Iowa more than Buffalo. Prinz is for credits. Yeah I kinda also run rotations when I'm alone, though will usually bug out when I start getting slaughtered. Saves some grief. I might go stomp a 2Fort server on TF2 to blow off some steam when that happens.