You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lochib

Standardize the consumable keys.

33 comments in this topic

[SC]
[SC]
Members
15 posts
11,143 battles

It's been 3 years. why do we have to learn different key combos for different consumables depending on the ship?

It's absolutely infuriating to get in a ship of the same class with different consumables and have everything but R and T be random. (i.e. You go to hit speed boost and DFAA goes off instead)

Just make the keys for consumables standard, or allow us to map them.

• Cool 14
  • Angry 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,696 posts
3,941 battles

....there's this thing called the settings menu. If you want to change your keys you can so you can do it yourself?

Granted.. shouldnt have to.

Members
127 posts
1,900 battles

Sure but I think what the OP meant is the problem with different consumables being assigned to slots inconsistently, binding doesn't really help.

• Cool 3

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
35 minutes ago, Lochib said:

It's been 3 years. why do we have to learn different key combos for different consumables depending on the ship?

It's absolutely infuriating to get in a ship of the same class with different consumables and have everything but R and T be random. (i.e. You go to hit speed boost and DFAA goes off instead)

There are 11 different consumables...do you really want to have to stretch all the way to the P or L keys to use them?

But here's the real problem...what gets the T spot? Remember if it's Repair Party everybody that doesn't run BBs will scream bloody murder about how BBs are "favorites".

If it's Smoke Generator everybody that is not a DD main will do the same.

If it's Hydro/DFAA (& if it is...which one)...everybody will complain about how WG is trying to "push" them into playing cruisers.

& then there's the Y key. What gets to be Y (after T is determined of course)?

But I do believe that "specialized" consumables should always be the farther stretch than more common ones. Example: A lot of cruisers at higher tiers have Repair Party but only the French cruisers get Engine Boost (which happens to have an icon that looks a lot like "Repair Party") yet on the St. L. & Henri the specialized Engine Boost gets the Y spot while the Repair Party gets the U.

& another example is the US cruisers that get the Hydro & DFAA consumables separately...a lot of cruisers get DFAA but almost all of them have Hydro (making it the more common one) yet on the US cruisers DFAA gets the T spot & by the time you add Radar & Heal on the higher tier ones the Hydro ends up all the way at I.

So better positioning of common to specialized consumables would be nice but trying to standardize them will never work because you'd have keys that just did nothing in between the ones that worked on each ship & you'd be all over the keyboard trying to figure out which were which in every battle.

• Cool 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Okay, but how exactly would you fix this problem? The obvious solution would be to make each consumable use the same key each time, like with Damacon and R, but there are so many consumables that you'd wind up using WAAAAAAY too many keys. Let's count them down: DamaCon, Repair, Spotter, Cat. Fighter, DFAA, Hydro, Smoke, Speed Boost, TRB, MBRB, Radar. If we stick to the current row, that means default consumable keys would likely have to be R, T, Y, U, I, O, P, G, H, J, and K. You're mapping ten buttons all over the dang place (more if they add more consumables), of which at most five will be useful at a time.

[KAPPA]
Members
221 posts
4,391 battles

I just would like them to let me change what slot I have each consumable in. For instance, have the key binding under each slot, and you can move the consumable set between them. You'd never have a Des Moines with Catapult Fighter, Spotter and Radar at the same time, and would instead have the ability to put your consumables in an order you like.

Any time I have a heal, I'd love it to be T. It makes Kidd so awkward to have smoke there, even if smoke is usually there. Then again, it helps that I don't really have many cruisers with a heal outside of the RN, so I'm just not particularly used to heal being flung about willy nilly and ending up stuck to the ceiling like a poorly flipped pancake.

[WOLF6]
Members
678 posts
3,837 battles

Maybe implement something similar to the current B key?

R is always repair party

then T is everything else

push and hold the T key and move your mouse in the direction of the consumable you want and release the T key to activate?

Edited by wtfovr
  • Cool 2

Members
2,501 posts
5,492 battles

I myself think the FUNCTION KEYS should be reassigned to the consummables.  Reprogram the original F keys to work as it was by using ENTER then the F keys to slam dunk your canned statement.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,079 battles

maybe have them mapped to the numeric keys (1= Repair 2= plane 3=hydro 4= rader 5= heal 6=smoke 7= engine boost ect)  in addition to the current non standard ones

[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,272 battles

Like OP says I have the same “problem”. I’ll set off the wrong consumable because of the key differences even on the same type of ship!

In WoT you can change the order of your consumables on each tank. Why not allow this on ships?

Members
93 posts
6,030 battles
2 hours ago, wtfovr said:

Maybe implement something similar to the current B key?

R is always repair party

then T is everything else

push and hold the T key and move your mouse in the direction of the consumable you want and release the T key to activate?

It's an idea, but PLEASE NO. 

If I'm in the middle of a fight, I don't want to have to hold a key, and then try to shift my mouse to the right spot. Chance are I hit what I didn't want a decent amount of the time. I'm not a fan of the B key system as a whole - I use my F# keys.

The real answer here is to let us modify the keybinds for each ship. That way people can standardize things for themselves, and it won't affect anyone else's setup.

• Cool 1

[WJDC]
Members
1,257 posts
7,610 battles

There are, and have been, more than enough keys available on the std keyboard to create a consistent layout for consumables.

..yeah.. I think that says it all...

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
6 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

....there's this thing called the settings menu. If you want to change your keys you can so you can do it yourself?

Granted.. shouldnt have to.

Not the OP but I had forgotten that. But you would have to change that for each ship I think. Since I don't play the same ship twice in a row (helps with burnout) that would be a lot of work. But I also look at my consumables at the beginning of each match.  

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,201 posts
4,280 battles
7 hours ago, Lochib said:

Agreed, playing Graf Spee (among others) is a pain when you have to remember to hit “U” instead of “T” to repair your ship

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles

Yeah they really ought to do this.  Graf Spee in particular screws me up a lot.

Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles
3 hours ago, dionkraft said:

I myself think the FUNCTION KEYS should be reassigned to the consummables.  Reprogram the original F keys to work as it was by using ENTER then the F keys to slam dunk your canned statement.

Lol please don't do that! My Microsoft wireless keyboard requires me to hold the Fn key down to use them as function keys instead of feature shortcuts, and it's beside the spacebar.

TBH, almost all the time, it would be just as easy to ctrl-click them. The DCP is pretty much the only one you might need instantly, and it's the easiest to hit.

Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles
1 hour ago, comtedumas said:

Agreed, playing Graf Spee (among others) is a pain when you have to remember to hit “U” instead of “T” to repair your ship

I'm not bad with that one, Fiji and Hindy use it too, so just have to remember "T" for BBs, and "U" for cruisers.

[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
151 posts
5,906 battles

Give me the option to take a consumable and assign it to the key that I want.

Members
2,501 posts
5,492 battles

Another way would be use the number keys above the letters. Use 4 to 9 and zero which gives you 6 keys. Then standarize the letter keys right of R and T which are Y_U_I_O_P  and make them mean something and mean something standard if applicable to ALL vessels!   AND keep it that way.  I think the numbers 4-9 are meant for CV's so they should be jettisoned to make way for regular ships and their LARGER PLAYER BASE. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
5 hours ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

It's an idea, but PLEASE NO. 

If I'm in the middle of a fight, I don't want to have to hold a key, and then try to shift my mouse to the right spot. Chance are I hit what I didn't want a decent amount of the time. I'm not a fan of the B key system as a whole - I use my F# keys.

The real answer here is to let us modify the keybinds for each ship. That way people can standardize things for themselves, and it won't affect anyone else's setup.

It's no different from weapon wheels in FPS titles.

I say don't make this the default-- but make it an option for those who want it. Similar to how Doom 2016 had a weapon wheel for quick change, but also bound the guns to numbers like classic Doom did.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,885 posts
10,675 battles

Yeah I am all for this. The ship that gets me the most is Kronshtadt. I keep going for the spotter and set the radar off. I am so used to planes being Y that by instinct I hit Y for the spotter on that ship and bam there goes a wasted radar (not a huge deal in Co-op but in PVP it would be a big deal).:Smile_facepalm:

11 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Okay, but how exactly would you fix this problem? The obvious solution would be to make each consumable use the same key each time, like with Damacon and R, but there are so many consumables that you'd wind up using WAAAAAAY too many keys. Let's count them down: DamaCon, Repair, Spotter, Cat. Fighter, DFAA, Hydro, Smoke, Speed Boost, TRB, MBRB, Radar. If we stick to the current row, that means default consumable keys would likely have to be R, T, Y, U, I, O, P, G, H, J, and K. You're mapping ten buttons all over the dang place (more if they add more consumables), of which at most five will be useful at a time.

But would it really be that hard to standardize the buttons even with a lot of consumables? Maybe right at 1st people would have a hard time but after a bit people would get used to where things are. It really is a PITA having them change keys between ships. T repairs this ship but it's U on this one and so forth. No, they should have a set key for a set function and it wouldn't take long for people to get used to it. Long term this would help people.

I saw someone say it would lead to people complaining that favorites were played in assigning keys. My response to that is they need to grow up then if THAT upsets them :Smile_sceptic:. We are talking about standardizing the keys to benefit everyone so everyone has to take a change and adapt. Long term it is just a help. Also, just assign the keys to the consumable that match where it is used most for the least disruption/change for the fewest players. For example make Repair T as every BB has it and many other ships don't. So it makes the most sense to go with it at T even if some Cruiser and DD players will have to get used to a new location. That isn't playing favorites it is just common sense. Like making Radar and Hydro Y and all Planes P. BB players would have to adapt to the change because more ships have Radar and Hydro than Planes.

The best solution I can see is for WG to standardize the keys by keeping consumables with the same key by simply looking at which ships use what and then standardize it. Very few ships can use Radar and Hydro at the same time so make those consumables use the same key. Same goes for DFAA and Speed Boost (very few use both - just some French CA's I believe). Then if you have a rare instance where a ship can actually use both of the consumables that share a key (Worcester & Belfast with radar and hydro) then one of those consumables would default to a key that is used for such rare situations only.  You have a set key for that rare case like the H key. This would make so much sense IMHO anyway.

So something like this...

• R = DCP (obviously)
  • T = Repair
  • Y = Radar & Hydro
  • U = Smoke
  • I = TRB & MBRB
  • O = DFAA & Speed Boost
  • P = Plane 
  • H = Default Key for consumable conflict

That would work with every ship in the game now I do believe. Would that be so hard to learn as a player? Seems a lot better at least to me. I would always know where to go for a set consumable and in the rare case of a ship that does have a conflict I know H key is the other key. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles

I just want any changeable system to stay the same through a patch. I'm up to 196 ships and no way would I want to change that up every patch.

• Cool 1

[SPF]
Members
6 posts
6,415 battles

I think this falls into the whole " easy quality of life fix's" that devs feel is not worth the time to fix as it has no wow factor.