You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Acasta....AAAAAAA

17 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,844 posts
13,059 battles

I usually don't play for the missions or events...I just play.  Late this evening, Acasta found its way into my port.  So, as my final for the night I figure...WTH...let's give it a whirl.  First, a top tier game...always good getting feet wet in a new ship as top tier.  But two CVs....hmmm.  Short smoke duration.  Must be careful.

Ever have one of those games where you don't feel like you're doing much, but you find yourself in the perfect spot to wreck....not by any deep strategy...just the cards you're dealt are really really good.  First a BB coming around a corner...DS.  Then a long range cruiser...DS.  Then, you find the carriers....AND....your CV keeps their planes off you.  Didn't plan it that way...just kinda fell in my  lap.  

Acasta.thumb.jpg.83bf6566c054fd38adbb86b0154d1429.jpg

• Cool 3

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,798 posts
9,845 battles
7 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

just kinda fell in my  lap.

eeewww, you got so many brit dd quest un done ..... you are not even make it to the Hall of Shame .. I mean Hall of Fame ... FAME

• Funny 1

Members
362 posts
5,163 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I usually don't play for the missions or events...I just play.  Late this evening, Acasta found its way into my port.  So, as my final for the night I figure...WTH...let's give it a whirl.  First, a top tier game...always good getting feet wet in a new ship as top tier.  But two CVs....hmmm.  Short smoke duration.  Must be careful.

Ever have one of those games where you don't feel like you're doing much, but you find yourself in the perfect spot to wreck....not by any deep strategy...just the cards you're dealt are really really good.  First a BB coming around a corner...DS.  Then a long range cruiser...DS.  Then, you find the carriers....AND....your CV keeps their planes off you.  Didn't plan it that way...just kinda fell in my  lap.  

Props to the good game in Acasta. I played one match and decided it was not very good. Now, Jervis / Lightning on the other hand....

Now go get a kraken and laugh at the enemy.

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,612 battles

The Acasta is one of the most mind-numblingly boring ship to play. It only goes 35kts, so it's too slow, the torps only go 6k but det range is also at 6k, so to drop torps you'll have to either get det yourself or round corners and unload point blank, your guns sucks so firing it isn't worth the risk of detection, the smoke also doesn't last long enough even if you want to go gun-boat. It's.... just.... bad. I've had more fun in the Hood than the piece of trash-bote called the Acasta. 

• Boring 1

[-BMV-]
Members
202 posts
13,581 battles
2 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Really nice game. Good job.

I've seen a lot of Acastas, only two were actually decent. Many were going full yolo or straight up suicidal. Is it that bad of a bote?. I only have Icarus so i don't know.

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles
16 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Props to the good game in Acasta. I played one match and decided it was not very good. Now, Jervis / Lightning on the other hand....

Now go get a kraken and laugh at the enemy.

Props from me too. It find it detestable -- crappy guns and useless torps. Amazing that anyone could do 50K in it, let alone 100K. I just keep it  in my port for  UK DD missions, and will sell once the RN event is over.  Haven't seen anything in this line that makes me want to go up it, so far, but I don't have the Jervis or Lightning yet.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles

I came here to see whether you were giving the Acasta a good rating or screaming in agony at its uselessness. It seems the former is the case.

I haven't played it enough to be certain, and only in co-op, but the first few games in a destroyer without speed boost were... interesting. It makes you think harder about your survivability and where you're going to jump out of or run to, and while I think absolute newcomers to the game are going to find it a difficult line (much like its cruiser counterpart), it might also teach better habits for other lines.

I forgot to put camo on mine last night because I was just testing her out, but I suspect that with it on and with a captain with Concealment Expert (I was using my Leander captain), you will JUST be able to release torps from stealth.

[PVE]
Members
5,620 posts
18,209 battles

Acasta's guns are good. Other than that, she isn't interesting. No speed boost, crap smoke... Glad I have her so I don't have to bother with the lower tiered UK DDs. I won't bother grinding the line, seems pointless honestly. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
28 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Glad I have her so I don't have to bother with the lower tiered UK DDs.

I'm glad I have both her and the Icarus so I don't have to grind her out in T5 matchmaking. From the few battles I've fought in her in co-op I've got a glimmer of an idea of how she's supposed to work, but if I'm wrong the grind would have been horrific.

As to the lower levels, I am eagerly awaiting Valkyrie to see how she compares against Vampire. I suspect that at some stage, they will be changing the Vampire's torpedo launcher to narrow and single to match her tech-tree sister.

[REVY]
Members
951 posts
7,518 battles

I took Acasta out for a first battle spin in Co-Op.

Ended up being chased by and focused on by an Iron Duke and Queen E around the map. Rest of the team loved it as they could blast away at them with ease.

[WOLFB]
Members
211 posts
4,772 battles

The combination of 6km conceal and 6km torps with guns that shatter on tin cans makes it a hard boat to use that's for sure. But it can still have good games with its good maneuverability while defending caps.

Overall though the ship is pretty Meh though, i'd much rather have any of the others but RNGeesus has not been kind to me.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
40 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

The combination of 6km conceal and 6km torps with guns that shatter on tin cans makes it a hard boat to use that's for sure. But it can still have good games with its good maneuverability while defending caps.

Overall though the ship is pretty Meh though, i'd much rather have any of the others but RNGeesus has not been kind to me.

I haven't unlocked the Icarus yet. 600 base experience away waiting on cable company to fix the internet. But lately I've gotten better at using shorter ranged torpedoes ie recognizing the opportunity to fire them. I'm currently at tier six in most of my DD lines so the Icarus will fit perfectly with the MM and maps I've gotten comfortable with. I think it will just take time for most players to get comfortable enough to be consistent with them. 

[WOLFB]
Members
211 posts
4,772 battles
1 hour ago, Sped_Gax said:

I haven't unlocked the Icarus yet. 600 base experience away waiting on cable company to fix the internet. But lately I've gotten better at using shorter ranged torpedoes ie recognizing the opportunity to fire them. I'm currently at tier six in most of my DD lines so the Icarus will fit perfectly with the MM and maps I've gotten comfortable with. I think it will just take time for most players to get comfortable enough to be consistent with them. 

Oh no definitely, the fact that we're not used to these ships is a factor but my main gripe is the fact that pretty much your entire kit on the ship tells you go to close range but the long torp reload, terrible ballistics on the guns, all the shatters and worst of all are the horrible torp angles do NOT help in most situations.

I understand what the ship is telling me to do, but overall it just doesn't have the capability to do it at all. I've had good games in it, even a game whete i broke 100k damage (mostly torps into rushing BBs) but compared to other ships in the tier bracket it just gets outperformed hard.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,844 posts
13,059 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I came here to see whether you were giving the Acasta a good rating or screaming in agony at its uselessness. It seems the former is the case.

Well, I don't really know.  It's just one game.  And, like I said, my two DS (the lion's share of the damage) were kinda handed to me.  And I found the two CVs without any protection.  So what's not to like about that?  This was more a game that just went my way in a new ship than any indication on the merits of the ship.

I suspect it's a notch below the line ships.  It's T5....seal clubbing territory when top tier.   WG doesn't like to (or should not) put premium seal clubbers in that range.... Cesare notwithstanding.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
5 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I suspect it's a notch below the line ships. 

The early unlocks are a special case anyway. Come 7.10 the Acasta BECOMES a line ship, and we will possibly hear much wailing and gnashing of teeth from those who put their favourite 19 point T10 captain in her (e.g. from a Minotaur) and find themselves having to retrain that captain when the patch drops.

I haven't dared put my 19 pointer in her for that reason, just in case I forget or the Internet goes away where I am for three weeks. I'm prepared to gamble my Leander captain with Concealment Expert, because PT LS SI CE is a reasonable general DD build and I don't take the Leander out much any more, but ultimately I think these destroyers are going to need TAE to get their tubes refilled ASAP. I've got a freebie six-point Azur Lane captain I'm going to take a gamble on and set up like that. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll just drop in the Emerald captain with PT LS SI and build from there.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
15 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Oh no definitely, the fact that we're not used to these ships is a factor but my main gripe is the fact that pretty much your entire kit on the ship tells you go to close range but the long torp reload, terrible ballistics on the guns, all the shatters and worst of all are the horrible torp angles do NOT help in most situations.

I understand what the ship is telling me to do, but overall it just doesn't have the capability to do it at all. I've had good games in it, even a game whete i broke 100k damage (mostly torps into rushing BBs) but compared to other ships in the tier bracket it just gets outperformed hard.

I can't remember but at least one of the YouTube's CC's has suggested these destroyers needs IFHE. Unfortunately I only have 10 point captains as my highest in the RN. I prioritize CE over IFHE. So it looks like a awhile before I can macimise this line of DD's.