Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Republique secondaries?

21 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,600 battles

I just bought her and have decided to go with a survival build over a secondary one simply because from seeing people playing the ship her AP is incredible against anything and her HE is no slouch as well. Seems to me that her armor is not ideal for close quarter encounters so a full sec spec would be a waste. Anyone have opinions on this? Is the AP as good as I've seen or is it overrated? TIA

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
3 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I just bought her and have decided to go with a survival build over a secondary one simply because from seeing people playing the ship her AP is incredible against anything and her HE is no slouch as well. Seems to me that her armor is not ideal for close quarter encounters so a full sec spec would be a waste. Anyone have opinions on this? Is the AP as good as I've seen or is it overrated? TIA

In order to go full secondary, you have to use upgrades that compromise her main guns.  It’s not too bad on a ship like GK, because her guns are kind of meh outside of secondary range anyway.  But for Republique her main guns is her bread and butter, so full secondary build is really inferior to build that prioritizes her main armament.

Her armor is actually pretty good against AP, especially at brawling ranges, but her thin upper armor makes her exceptionally vulnerable to pretty much all HE she sees at the tier.  So if you try to get into closer range, you will be melted by fire spam.

AP is really good.  It’s the unique combination of large caliber and high shell speed that makes for terrific penetration and ballistics.  It may not hit as hard as Yamato, but it sure is easier to land those shots on mobile target.

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles

I have a full secondary build but I really only use it in Hermes, for max credits, she is a beast in Hermes.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,323 battles

I have found that taking the Secondary Range Module over the Aiming Module does not noticably impact my dispersion.  Therefore I buffed my secondary range to 12.1km which has the side affect of boosting my AA noticably as well.

She is not a dedicated, rush-in brawler, the secondary battery aspects are for mid to late game when caps must be contested and they help close out the game. Resetting caps on one ship while blowing through upper belts and citadels on another is what its all about; harder to do at the base 8.8ish range.

Edit: I did switch to full survival when I was playing ranked, however due to the ... let’s just call it hesitancy of teams to engage at closer ranges.  Such longer range scenarios limit the choices to and effiveness of angling against AP.

Edited by SmokeHenge

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
259 posts
1,717 battles
15 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I have a full secondary build but I really only use it in Hermes, for max credits, she is a beast in Hermes.

No you don't

• Funny 1

Members
706 posts
25 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

you must be thinking of Gascogne (or Richelieu or Lyon) if its a French BB in Hermes.

Members
181 posts
15,728 battles

Congrats, knowing that secondary builds are terrible on any ship as of the current patch makes you a better BB player than 75% of the player population.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,304 posts
6,575 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You can use Republique in Hermes?

Teach me!

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,111 posts
3,577 battles
6 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

2ndry builds are not competitive at any tier on any ship.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
5 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Congrats, knowing that secondary builds are terrible on any ship as of the current patch makes you a better BB player than 75% of the player population.

Massachusetts would like a word with you.  

If you think otherwise you simply don’t have a clue.  That ship is competitive against Tier 10s with a secondary build and ROFLstomps Tier 8s.

Running 56% Tier 10 games at the moment.  90k AVERAGE damage.   60% W/R. 40%  of that damage is coming from secondaries and 10% is coming from associated fires.

My lasts Tier 8 game in her I racked up 7 kills and 200k damage.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,022 posts

I went full secondary with my Republique, I am quite happy with it. The enemy, not so much.

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles
7 hours ago, FlakKnight said:

No you don't

3 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

You can use Republique in Hermes?

Teach me!

7 hours ago, b101uk said:

you must be thinking of Gascogne (or Richelieu or Lyon) if its a French BB in Hermes.

Oops meant Richelieu. So many ships and so little brains I have.

[BOTES]
Members
161 posts
3,133 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

If you think otherwise you simply don’t have a clue.  That ship is competitive against Tier 10s with a secondary build and ROFLstomps Tier 8s.

Running 56% Tier 10 games at the moment.  90k AVERAGE damage.   60% W/R. 40%  of that damage is coming from secondaries and 10% is coming from associated fires.

They're just not really all that viable when people know you're secondary spec and play around it, but you do you.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,575 battles

I max the secondary range and then go for survival. 

The secondary turrets tend to get wrecked even with the secondary armament mod if you eat too much high caliber HE. Other times they can be critical, keeping that gunboat DD at range while you deal with bigger problems on the other side of the ship. 

7 hours ago, SmokeHenge said:

I have found that taking the Secondary Range Module over the Aiming Module does not noticably impact my dispersion.  

Agreed. The dispersion reduction is largely placebo. The increase in secondary range provides tangible benefits. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
44 minutes ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

They're just not really all that viable when people know you're secondary spec and play around it, but you do you.

Results say otherwise.  But whatevs.

[BOTES]
Members
161 posts
3,133 battles

Anecdotal results don't exactly trump what's basically been established as proper BB play. Sure you can make secondaries work, but for a lot of people, it incentivizes pushes that may be a little too much.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
7 minutes ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

Anecdotal results don't exactly trump what's basically been established as proper BB play. Sure you can make secondaries work, but for a lot of people, it incentivizes pushes that may be a little too much.

Well that's the problem.  There's a conventional wisdom around battleship play that is one dimensional.  Some people that's all they know how to do.

. . . and yes, I agree that if you push in too fast too early, you'll get slaughtered.   Same as with any ship.  But that's now how you play Massachusetts. 

You run it like an Alabama for the early game, then mid to late game you push and absolutely devastate people with your secondaries and 16"/45s at close range.  Properly specced, those secondaries don't need a huge amount of time to rack up massive damage numbers.  The key is to use them at the right time, against the right opponents.

The actual difference between Alabama and Massachusetts accuracy is negligible.  She does just fine in that role, with the benefit of an upgraded AA suite.  Then late game you clan up the field of all the cruisers, DDs, and weakened battleships that are left.

90k average damage over 130+ games is not "anecdotal." 

Members
181 posts
15,728 battles
5 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

It is you who hasnt had a clue.

Just because you can club potatoes in randoms doesnt make a build good. I can out right slaughter any Secondary Spec Massachusetts with any T8 let alone a T10.

And your averages kinda reflect that, 90k and 60% WR is really low for a T8 BB by unicum standards, when you can achieve 100k+ with a 70%+ WR then you can talk back.

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles
12 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Actually it works very well as a dd deterrent due to the range being 12.1km with signal flag. The trick is to do a hybrid build incorporating some suvivability in and not going for all of the secondary battery equipments. Destroyed a Montana one v one due to the secondary’s firing off fast. I used in ranked a bit as well.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
2 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

It is you who hasnt had a clue.

Just because you can club potatoes in randoms doesnt make a build good. I can out right slaughter any Secondary Spec Massachusetts with any T8 let alone a T10.

And your averages kinda reflect that, 90k and 60% WR is really low for a T8 BB by unicum standards, when you can achieve 100k+ with a 70%+ WR then you can talk back.

ummm.. .  yeah mine is all solo play.  I'm not being carried by my clan mates.  Thanks for playing though.

Members
181 posts
15,728 battles
2 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

ummm.. .  yeah mine is all solo play.  I'm not being carried by my clan mates.  Thanks for playing though.

I am pretty well known on this server as a lone wolf tho. In fact, my solo stats are even higher than my div stats because the game would not end as quickly.

Sign in to follow this