You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Piarhosigma

Which boat first?

which one first?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. which one

16 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Well... That really depends on what you want.

Do you prefer big hits for consistent damage and the heaviest CA broadside of your tier? Then Pensacola.
Do you prefer high rate of fire guns that peck away at enemies with ALL of the fire damage? Then Dallas.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
627 posts

The real question is which first - Worcester or Des Moines.

My answer would have to be Des Moines, while working on the British Cruiser line for Minotaur.

Pensacola is more useful in Operations which gives you more options for the grind.

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles

Dallas, it gets you the Worcester, more DPM than any battleship and eats planes for breakfast. 
Even before the Worcester, we are in such a HE spam heavy meta right now, the endless 152mm spam and resulting fire is just free and easy damage. If you have no shame and has abandoned careful aiming and have no dignity. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BLHK]
Members
363 posts
3,472 battles
4 hours ago, Piarhosigma said:

Dallas it is

Yeah the Dallas is a machine gun

Pens is the shotgun

Depends do you like to torture people slowly, or end it quickly for them lol

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
30 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

So moving on from the Omaha, you get the choice of which one you want first at Tier 6?

With the option of both, if you have enough XP on the Omaha and silver in the bank. 

I haven't given my Pensacola the love I thought I would, but that's probably because I already had her before the split (if only just) so I got the New Orleans in port on day 1 and never needed to grind the Pensa. That being said, I have already accumulated over 50K XP on her just playing her occasionally, and I'm in no hurry to sell her. IMO the Dallas has more utility overall (the ROF is better when dealing with destroyers); the Pensacola can still be a lot of fun.

• Cool 1

Members
1,868 posts
829 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

With the option of both, if you have enough XP on the Omaha and silver in the bank. 

I haven't given my Pensacola the love I thought I would, but that's probably because I already had her before the split (if only just) so I got the New Orleans in port on day 1 and never needed to grind the Pensa. That being said, I have already accumulated over 50K XP on her just playing her occasionally, and I'm in no hurry to sell her. IMO the Dallas has more utility overall (the ROF is better when dealing with destroyers); the Pensacola can still be a lot of fun.

Looking at the tech tree in game it looks like the Pensacola is the first choice.

I have the Phoenix, and have been holding off on captains points until I was sure, because the two take different skills. 

I would prefer the Dallas myself of the two.

Thanks for the info.

Does mean I keep the Omaha until I have the xp for both though.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
8 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I have the Phoenix, and have been holding off on captains points until I was sure, because the two take different skills. 

I would prefer the Dallas myself of the two.

The Dallas is certainly the smoother transition in terms of captain skills, as your entire line of advancement then has six-inch guns and your captain's evolution can be planned with IFHE in mind.

The nature of the opposition the Omaha faces still (in my Seal-Potato opinion) allows relinquishing of IFHE as a skill in that ship, and you could build an Omaha captain from scratch on the Pensacola (re)-grind and move him into the 8-inch-gunned line accordingly if you chose to take the Dallas first. The biggest shock you will receive in transition from Omaha B or C hull to Dallas and Pensacola A is that the fully developed Omaha outranges them both by a significant margin (indeed she outranges a fully buffed Dallas by a significant margin and gives little if anything up to the Pensacola). Also, the first few times your Dallas or Pensa gets boxed into a corner by enemy heavy cruisers or battleships, or otherwise surprised at short range out of the blue, you will smash the "3" key in vain for the last-resort torpedoes that aren't there any more.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,089 posts
6,035 battles

As helpful and right as the folks responding are being, I think their responses can use a little flesh on the bones:

Dallas spams lots of shells downrange quickly. The shells do less damage individually, lots of hits can make up the difference. Dallas has a quick reload as well, and fairly quick turret rotation. This makes Dallas good at countering destroyers. This ability to face off against destroyers can entice you to advance too close to the front to take them out, though, which can lead to rapid detection and deletion. The high rate of fire is flexible, though, and can be annoying, even lethal over time, to battleships and cruisers as well.

The Pensacola, on the other hand, has significantly harder-hitting shells, but the reload time is slow, and the turret rotation is PAINFULLY slow. This makes it very diffult to hunt destroyers, unless your first shot can take them out. But the harder-hitting shells can do more damage to heavily armored targets than Dallas' shell can.

Both ships are fragile, and have to be positioned carefully. What was it that Benjamin Franklin once said?: "Early to bed, early to the Cap sends cruisers back to port with a blap."

OK, he said something like that.

Which would I recommend? Well, I'll just say that the nickname I have for one is " 'Suckola ". But Dallas, I like.

Both ships represent a departure in playstyle from Omaha - apart from the torped issue already mentioned, the casemate-mounted guns of Omaha always assured you that if you turned the ship, that more guns could be brought to bear fairly quickly as other guns got rotated away.

Dallas probably represents the smaller change.

Also, the light cruiser line (starting with Dallas) probably has fewer ships that are regarded as "clunkers" in it (Seattle probably is the only one widely declaimed as such. NA server average winrate would appear to disagree with the negative perceptions.)

On the heavy cruiser side, the line is front-loaded with the widely negatively perceived ships: Pensuckola, New Orleans. Even Baltimore gets negative opinion, but possibly because it's hard not to compare it to its former T9 self. Even the Buffalo has a fair number of detractors.

There is a saying that any ship CAN be made to work, and it is probably true, but some ships are easier to suit up in and go than are others. Take an honest look at your playstyle and decide.

[OPEC]
Members
947 posts
5,108 battles

I found both Pensacola and Dallas fun, but I don't think they are of equal ease of use for newer players.  I also don't compare the two based on what ships they lead to, but how they perform head to head.  Others might not agree, but I actually think that the Pensacola is more durable when played in open water, and has a heavier salvo (more alpha in each strike) than Dallas.

1) You will have to abuse island terrain to a greater degree to get close enough to deal higher levels of damage in Dallas, which has 1.4km less main battery range than Pensacola.  That is not always an easy thing to do for newer players who have a less experience with the maps and generally less situational awareness (can you track the angles of three enemies that are shooting on you simultaneously and minimize broadside to all three?).

2) Pensacola's main battery is also a little bit more friendly to use (you can use a module to speed up the turret rotation and make it a bit less painful).  You don't have as high of a shell arc and you don't have to connect as many shells to do a similar amount of overall damage.

3) Beyond that, neither is fast, very shifty, or sheltered from the fact that every BB player on the other team is going to see you as a relatively easy meal.

That said, I like both ships, but the US cruisers are not the easiest lines for new(ish) players.  I would give a bit of an edge to Pensacola as a first Tier VI CL to try out.

[-WPG-]
Members
828 posts
3,406 battles

Worcester has been nerfed pretty significantly with its radar range being reduced, now CE getting a slight nerf.  It's not as viable in competitive/clan battles as it was.  Still fun, but as someone who as played both a lot I would say go for the Des Moines.  It's a much stronger ship in most situations. 

Also, you need IFHE for the light cruiser line to be effective.  And really you need IFHE, CE, and AFT.  That means you have to either give up SI or DE.  Des Moines doesn't need IFHE so you have more flexibility in your build.