You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Good ships that you can't get to work!

24 comments in this topic

Members
234 posts
4,641 battles

For me there are 2 that really stick out. First is the Lyon. I'm on my 3rd time trying to get her to work and it just doesn't want to click with me :(! 2nd would be the Iowa. Great guns, decent armor and god tier AA but I just don't do well in her. On the other hand the GK is my best tier 10 BB by far even though a lot of people hate it's immobility.

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles

I could never get the old T6 Cleveland to work for me at all. Had such a poor time that I stopped moving the CA tiers and switched to DDs!

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
1 minute ago, coletrain_commander said:

I could never get the old T6 Cleveland to work for me at all. Had such a poor time that I stopped moving the CA tiers and switched to DDs!

I had miserable time with Cleveland as well in Randoms, but loved IJN and German CAs. Still have bit of trouble with USN cruisers in Randoms likely because they lack Torps which in some situations can give you massive damage scores. With me though it was Cleveland’s Armor, detection, and firing range which often resulted in my troubles, but sometimes could still make use of it.

Odd thing is a bad ship in Randoms can be excellent ship in another game mode.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
858 posts
9,841 battles

I have great respect for the old Cleveland drivers - I could not stay alive long enough to get big damage.

I did not think the new Cleveland would work out for me, but surprisingly, I had a blast!

[TDRB]
Members
1,121 posts
4,262 battles

The Yorck. I started using the scenarios for training and it has help my gunnery greatly. The exception is the Yorck. Playing UF with random teams is difficult so I need to use a ship I play well. Hemes is for Allies ships only. Narai was closed until last update. The opportunity to train with the Yorck has been limited. 

No, I don't believe Dynamo will improve my poor DD play but the operation is fun to play.

Members
191 posts
15,858 battles

Saipan

Because I am a much more strike focused when it comes to CVs, I cant utilize Saipan's superior fighters as well as some others can.

Members
829 posts
2,638 battles

Well, looking at the leaderboard for ranked with the Montana, I am definitely doing something wrong with her.

In the top 100 for ranked with Montana, the average damage ranges from 99k damage to almost 130k.

Mine was at 82k, now 77k.

What am I doing wrong ?

https://na.wows-numbers.com/season/ship/ranking/id,10,4277090288,Montana/?order=average_damage_dealt__desc

[-BMV-]
Members
205 posts
13,631 battles

Shinonome.thumb.jpg.10af186eb40fabbcc1f5dec2e42345c0.jpg

Edited by Sidelock

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Honestly if not for their gunboat line and my love of the Hiryu, I'd be tempted to write off most of the Japanese tech tree as this.  I never feel like I'm getting anything done in my Nagato, the Myoko was pretty painful save for a few times when she finally clicked, the Mogami is shaping up to NOT be the ship I remember loving from the beta (I'm not surprised, just disappointed), I'm scared to take my Taiho out into randoms, and for the life of me I CANNOT figure out how to Fubuki.

On the other hand Akizuki is my favorite destroyer EVER until the day I get my Kitakaze fully kitted out, Aoba is still fun at tier 6, Musashi is always there when I need some "stress relief" in the form of slam-dunking poor cruisers with 18.1" AP shells, and Mikasa is a laugh and a half. Is my problem just that I click most with the least Japanese ships of the tree or something?

Members
60 posts
4,623 battles

Bismarck, do well in my Tirpitz, did well in the Gneisenau, do pretty well in the Scharnhorst, can't seem to get the Bismarck to work. Kinda puts me off the FG and GK since they pretty much play the same. 

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
14,108 battles

Amagi. I was grinding my way up the IJN BB line. Good results with Kongo, great results with Fuso and Nagato. Then I hit a wall with Amagi. Couldn't hit a think with her guns. I just sailed around each match until I got sunk. I can't even blame tier 8 match making as I wasn't contributing much to the team even when top or middle tier. I've moved on to other ships but if I ever want the Yamato, I'll have to grit my teeth and try to make Amagi work for me.

[WOLF9]
Members
267 posts
3,893 battles

Yugumo.  Most say she is better even than Shima, and I am tempted to agree but I just cannot do well in her except on very rare occasions.  It feels like the enemy has the Co-op bot level of awareness of incoming torpedoes when I play Yugumo.  I haven't even touched her but about twice since radar became the new meta.  I have Shima now; at some point I may re-acquire Yugumo and give it another go.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles

Iowa, Fletcher

[4HIM]
Members
1,815 posts
4,158 battles

For some reason I don't do well at all with the Gucci Caesar.  Love playing it, but don't have a good record in it.  But when I do have a good game in it, it's pure magic.  And it's always enjoyable to play.

Mo Money.  For some reason I cannot gel with that ship.  

And same as That1Villain said, I don't do well with the Biscuit.  Do well in the Shiny Horse, okay (for me) in Gneis and Torpitz, but can't make the Biscuit work.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles

For me, the Zuiho was a real pain to grind. However, as soon at it went Elite - the clouds opened up and the sky was filled with chirping birds and sunshine. Like someone threw a switch and I could wreck boats with it. They nerfed the drops since then, but it was a challenge to grind. The Colorado (Karloradue) was seriously a pain. At a time when carriers and destroyers were in fashion, I was everyone's XP Pinata. Seems I was surrounded by planes and DDs within 5 minutes of mission start.

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,332 battles

I hear you all. 

The Iowa was awful for me. The Montana is brilliant. 
The Tirp is so meh. The Bismark is a blast and half. 
The FDG was pure hell. The GK is so much fun. 
Cleveland (both T6 and T8) were awesome. The Des Moines... pure meh. 
The list goes on and on. 

[BLHK]
Members
354 posts
3,462 battles

Graf Spee

Bought this ship based on reviews and other peoples opinion of what an alpha strike animal this beast is...........I never have been able to unlock the true potential of this ship. Sits in port swinging on an anchor chain these days.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,868 posts
6,902 battles

Z52.  I love her, and can have some amazing games with her, but it's so up and down for me that I'm pretty sure she's my worst performing dd.  Just can't quite find my groove with her.  (Think the shima is my best... Too used to that wall of skill maybe?)

Edited by Shadeylark

[LANCE]
Members
312 posts
3,281 battles

I do pretty terrible in all my ships but the 3 I really can’t get to work are the new Cleveland, Des Moines and Haida.

Did ok in old Cleveland as it could angle and get some troll bounces. The new one ... port queen and will most likely stay that way!!

Forgot the Belfast!! May be classed at OP but I do better in the Fiji than the Belfast ... go figure!

Edited by Bravo4zero

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,339 battles

For me here of late it has been the Harugumo.

Some of it has been MM as the odds have been stacked against me.

Without any div help it has been a struggle to get the ship into position to make anything happen.

When i try to force the issue I get blown to pieces or perma spotted by some good CV.

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
22 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I had miserable time with Cleveland as well in Randoms, but loved IJN and German CAs. Still have bit of trouble with USN cruisers in Randoms likely because they lack Torps which in some situations can give you massive damage scores. With me though it was Cleveland’s Armor, detection, and firing range which often resulted in my troubles, but sometimes could still make use of it.

Odd thing is a bad ship in Randoms can be excellent ship in another game mode.

Very true on game mode. I used the Cleveland in operations and it was great for that. 

22 hours ago, Gerbertz said:

I have great respect for the old Cleveland drivers - I could not stay alive long enough to get big damage.

I did not think the new Cleveland would work out for me, but surprisingly, I had a blast!

Yeah, I know that feeling. I think I didn't really understand how to play the ship and always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Members
1,866 posts

Bismark. Can't seem to do my Bismark thang without getting burned or bombed. Gneisenau, did ok, Tirpitz ok. It always seems like I'm just something to beat on in the usual tier 10.

Members
329 posts
328 battles

Blyskawika, Reviews talk of a Gudbote that does everything well, bu I have never done so much Zero DMG rounds in any other ship, maybe Tashkent...

[FFLY]
Members
80 posts
4,469 battles

My worst are dds (get anywhere between 0 and 100000 and never know which unit the game is over)  my best ships are the GK and Hindi.