17 comments in this topic

Members
77 posts
10,822 battles

Looking in the Premium Shop for a tier VIII cruiser, I noticed that there wasn't any for the US and UK. After checking the WoWs Wiki, I noticed that there never has been any. Please how about some Tier VIII premium ships for US & UK. :cap_cool:

Members
359 posts
5,161 battles

WG too busy making hundreds of premium bbs to care about cruiser and dd peasants, comrade.

Serious note: USS witchitaw is coming as a t8 US heavy cruiser premium. No word on UK cruisers.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles

US is getting the uss wichita,you might see her in december if everything goes fine.

a tier8 british cruiser is a dream for now.

the french lacks a tier8 cruiser too.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
17 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

US is getting the uss wichita,you might see her in december if everything goes fine.

a tier8 british cruiser is a dream for now.

the french lacks a tier8 cruiser too.

And with MK out of the shop, the Soviets lack a t8 premium as well.

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles
1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

ah yes i forgot about russian bias.

[PVE]
Members
9,675 posts
7,466 battles

Since we are looking at T8 cruisers, France could use a T8 CL/CA. 

Would any of the UK CAs fit at T8, since the tech tree is all CLs?

[AK-47]
Members
2 posts
9,142 battles

WG has yet to delve into the British heavy cruisers with 8" guns.  I present to you the County class cruisers.

County Class Cruiser

The pic show the Aussie cruiser "HMS Austrailia", which would be easy to copied for the Common Wealth line.

HMS Austrailia.jpg

[S0L0]
Members
877 posts
4,858 battles

Not sure if it's truly T8 material, but the upgraded HMS London would a good CA candidate at 7 or 8, and HMS Sheffield would be good high tier CL. For a mostly paper boat, I'd like to see HMS Mars in her initial design, with 3 Neptune turrets on what is essentially a modified Fiji hull. (History and Royal Navy buffs: I know I'm simplifying things, but how else would you like to explain the convoluted design history of the real Minotaur/Swiftsure/Tiger/Blake class in a few sentences or less???)

Wichita has been declared a T8, I think it's a stretch, and it would be better at T7, but I'm willing to be convinced. For a USN CL, I think the Fargo would be a decent choice. Not too much different from the Cleveland in gameplay, but a little different visual.

Matt

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,656 battles
1 hour ago, Snoopy_Alaskan said:

WG has yet to delve into the British heavy cruisers with 8" guns.  I present to you the County class cruisers.

County Class Cruiser

The pic show the Aussie cruiser "HMS Austrailia", which would be easy to copied for the Common Wealth line.

HMS Austrailia.jpg

I'm not convinced the County class can fit at tier 8. They were practically unarmored when first built, and while they received heavier armor when they were refitted later, they lost their torpedo tubes in the same refit. So you either get a practically unarmored CA with 4x2 203mm and 8 torps per side, or a tankier pure gun platform. This is exacerbated by their low ROF; their guns were claimed to fire 6 rounds per minute, but in practice were lucky to get off 4 RPM. 

The only way these fit at tier 8 without an absurd amount of gimmickry is if WG implements a fictional refit that keeps both the armor and the torpedoes. Otherwise she's either a glass cannon with an impressive combination of gun and torpedo firepower but no survivability (especially for a t8 cruiser that's a problem) or a very, very average cruiser that will struggle to do damage.

The Counties are a solid tier 7. Tier 8 is a stretch, and I'd like to see WG use the RN CAs to provide a non gimmick British cruiser experience for the RN fans that were frustrated by the gimmicky CLs (I personally loved Brit CLs but not everyone did.)

Members
77 posts
10,822 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, The_Painted_Target said:

WG too busy making hundreds of premium bbs to care about cruiser and dd peasants, comrade.

Serious note: USS witchitaw is coming as a t8 US heavy cruiser premium. No word on UK cruisers.

Wow, I looked forward to the USS Wichita Coming to  the game!!! Awesome!!!

Members
77 posts
10,822 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 7:22 PM, Crokodone said:

The actually has been a Russian T8 premium ship before. Mikhail Kutuzov

Edited by BeefyMetal

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, poeticmotion said:

I'm not convinced the County class can fit at tier 8. They were practically unarmored when first built, and while they received heavier armor when they were refitted later, they lost their torpedo tubes in the same refit. So you either get a practically unarmored CA with 4x2 203mm and 8 torps per side, or a tankier pure gun platform. This is exacerbated by their low ROF; their guns were claimed to fire 6 rounds per minute, but in practice were lucky to get off 4 RPM. 

The only way these fit at tier 8 without an absurd amount of gimmickry is if WG implements a fictional refit that keeps both the armor and the torpedoes. Otherwise she's either a glass cannon with an impressive combination of gun and torpedo firepower but no survivability (especially for a t8 cruiser that's a problem) or a very, very average cruiser that will struggle to do damage.

The Counties are a solid tier 7. Tier 8 is a stretch, and I'd like to see WG use the RN CAs to provide a non gimmick British cruiser experience for the RN fans that were frustrated by the gimmicky CLs (I personally loved Brit CLs but not everyone did.)

Just as Huanghe was HEAVILY tweaked to work into the game, as well as the existence of Paper Ships with Paper Stats, I'm sure County-class can be made to be just fine for Tier VIII :Smile_popcorn:

Edit:  Looked up County-class.  Those are OLD Heavy Cruisers.  The idea of RN CAs getting into High Tier is kind of weird since it looked like the Royal Navy gave up on CAs.  Their last CAs came into service in 1930-31, York-class (York and Exeter).

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
210 posts
1,899 battles

Yeah I heard witchitah is coming as t8 and one of the british destroyers will be premium t8 but other than that there’s no word on a british cruiser. 

Would love to see Suffolk though

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,526 posts
4,416 battles
On 24/09/2018 at 12:18 PM, UltimateNewbie said:

Counties are more like T6 as per the Aoba...

Aoba has 6 guns, the Counties have 8. Give the Brits a bit more credit mate.:Smile-_tongue: The York class however have "British Aoba" written all over them.

But yeah the County class are only good for tier 7 imho. That's not actually a bad thing though since T7s get good MM, and T8s get thrown into T10 matches all the time. The modernised HMS London might be okay at T8 however if WG tweak some of the soft stats.

Problem is that irl after doing some tests with their cruisers, the UK decided to concentrate on light cruisers, much like how the IJN concentrated on heavies. They had different operational needs to that of the US and Japan. The British Empire had tons of land, coastline and sea lanes to protect. There were also tonnage limits from treaties and the budget to take into account. For the UK large numbers of smaller light cruisers were what they needed. Too bad it doesn't translate too well to WoWs, where ships that cheated the naval treaties do better.

[PVE]
Members
511 posts
4,326 battles

I would rather not have any more T8 premiums, at least cruisers. MM for T8s is horrid. I rather play cruisers at T6, T7, and T9/T10.

Since T8s face T10s the majority of the time I would rather do it in a T9/10.

An RN CA at T7 would be great.