You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thamelas

Cossack: Waste of Money

33 comments in this topic

[WSU]
[WSU]
Members
20 posts
7,109 battles

Just don't like it. Too fragile. Torp arcs suck. Would rather I hadn't bought it. I consider it wasted money that could have been spent on something better.

Edited by Thamelas
  • Cool 5

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
259 posts
3,201 battles

That's why it's important to look at reviews and gameplay before making a decision to buy.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
9,944 posts
7,492 battles
1 minute ago, Thamelas said:

Just don't like it. Too fragile. Torp arcs suck. Would rather I hadn't bought it. I consider it wasted money that could have been spent on something better.

Go ahead and work to get the 40-48 Guineas you can get from Directives and pick up the 10 Guineas for $1 to give you a cushion. Then when you hit 50 Guineas, you can buy Cossack again and as long as you keep Cossack in port until then you get 9,600 doubloons for having Cossack in port when you buy it from the Arsenal. So at least you will get almost the full doubloon value for the money spent on Cossack.

• Cool 11

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,891 battles

Strictly speaking, any money spent on this game is a waste of money.  Sometimes you can add a little fun, sometimes buyers remorse.  

• Cool 2

Members
629 posts
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Go ahead and work to get the 40-48 Guineas you can get from Directives and pick up the 10 Guineas for $1 to give you a cushion. Then when you hit 50 Guineas, you can buy Cossack again and as long as you keep Cossack in port until then you get 9,600 doubloons for having Cossack in port when you buy it from the Arsenal. So at least you will get almost the full doubloon value for the money spent on Cossack.

Thanks for the info.

Not easy to play. Also invites jeers from others but after watching flamu’s video several times I think I got it. 

There is some good advice from LWM and others how to play. Beginning of game just sucks. My Capping is hilarious.  Once the first  quarter of the game is going it is get one torp hit. Stop, smoke up, guns for fire then repeat. No IFHE, due to decrease in Fire chance. 

Everyone needs to go easy on Cossack drivers...takes some studying and weird tactics especially in caps

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

It's not a Torp boat, you use its concealment and hydro to contest caps. Are you running SE? IFHE? Those are pretty much mandatory for the RN DDs. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,718 posts
8,150 battles
36 minutes ago, Thamelas said:

DDs are supposed to be fragile

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
5 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Tell that to Comrade Khaba

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
9,944 posts
7,492 battles
Just now, firemedic1428 said:

Is balans Comrade 

:Smile_teethhappy:

[WSU]
[WSU]
Members
20 posts
7,109 battles
8 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

It seems more fragile than normal to me. I play a lot of DD's.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,718 posts
8,150 battles
4 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Comrad khabarovsk isn't a DD comrad: GRU border cruiser.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,302 battles
48 minutes ago, Thamelas said:

This is why you were supposed to play for it slowly while other fools rushed in and learned the play style the hard way. Then buy it for one US dollar at the end and be smiling.

• Cool 1

[ICBM]
Members
371 posts
8,248 battles

Some work for you some don't...

Purchased RN Camo as well...  

[ICBM]
Members
371 posts
8,248 battles

A Kaba is a pita no matter what you're commanding.....

I'm not a DD guy, but, need to know DD perspective, so playing them is the only way...

Haida and Cossack have sentimental value to me, so I'm all in - crap or not...

I don't care as long as she's purdy...

[WORX]
Members
1,887 posts
12,967 battles

IF you ask me...

image.png.8cf1a5987f8a3f9ba0d8a2eddff30b1e.png

^^^ This Cossack Or

^^^^^ Or this Cossack, I would pick option two. :)... Russian Music is stronger then the DD Conrad.

Edited by Navalpride33

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles

It's not crap, but it's definitely not the easiest ship in my port to play.

After 10 games I'm at 70%, but my damage numbers are not really where I'd like to see them.  (only ~24k average atm.)

Yes, the torpedo arcs aren't great, and yes, you're only likely to have 3 gun mounts at a time pointed at a target... but that detection range. That's magical. And the turning is pretty spectacular as well. It's not hard to dodge enemy torps with COSSACK, and these guns are 120mm, not the 113's that people were worried about. It'll penetrate DD's no problem, even without IFHE.

Yes, it's fragile as hell, and yes, it's sometimes awkward to employ... but it's definitely an interesting ship. I'm not comfortable playing it yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
54 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Khab is not a destroyer, it is a Russian pocket cruiser.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,492 battles

It's not a bad boat per se, but it's definitely not a boat I'd buy just because you want to be OP.  It can be made to work and if it's the top tier DD or it's in a game where it can dominate spotting around caps it can be a monster.  But nobody claimed the Cossack was an easy boat to play or even a particularly strong ship for its tier.

Beta Testers
852 posts
5,984 battles
1 hour ago, firemedic1428 said:

It's not a Torp boat, you use its concealment and hydro to contest caps. Are you running SE? IFHE? Those are pretty much mandatory for the RN DDs. 

Nah, you don't need IFHE on the Cossack or the Lightning. They do fine without it.

The Cossack is a unique playstyle. I think people were hoping it would be a Tier 8 Gearing or something. Lol

I am really enjoying the Cossack so far. It isn't "amazing" at any one thing, but it is a good cap contester and has the ability to maintain vision control. It's ability to harass is no joke either.

[TOG]
Members
2,492 posts
15,057 battles
19 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Nah, you don't need IFHE on the Cossack or the Lightning. They do fine without it.

The Cossack is a unique playstyle. I think people were hoping it would be a Tier 8 Gearing or something. Lol

I am really enjoying the Cossack so far. It isn't "amazing" at any one thing, but it is a good cap contester and has the ability to maintain vision control. It's ability to harass is no joke either.

The issue I believe for people is that lack of ability to stack damage. Not to mention the high skill level to make it work.  You want something more comfortable, you'd need Harekaze or Lo Yang. They perform the same function and can stack damage.

Edit:  What I had found out is that RDF works better with me, rather that IFHE. The low detection limit can also be a 2 edge sword. Imagine a radar CA rounding the corner at 5.8 km.  That means for 48 seconds worse case radar exposure. RDF at least tells you the closest ship is there and allows you to open the distance.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,195 posts
18,949 battles

Oh wait, I wasted $1?

You may take a look at Mouse reviews before you buy a ship.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,054 posts
7,794 battles

Cossack is one of the best DDs at T8 if not THE best, and the survivability is average. Not really a ship you will enjoy if you're not a DD player though.