You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Acasta: Hot Garbage!

15 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
781 posts
6,404 battles

Hot take time! The RN T5 DD is useless.

Torpedoes are too short ranged to be a torp boat.  Guns are too weak and floaty to be a gunboat.  Smoke wears off so fast there's no time to do any damage even if you get a good firing position.  Thoughts?  Anybody having success with the thing?  I sure as hell am not.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
8 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Hot take time! The RN T5 DD is useless.

Torpedoes are too short ranged to be a torp boat.  Guns are too weak and floaty to be a gunboat.  Smoke wears off so fast there's no time to do any damage even if you get a good firing position.  Thoughts?  Anybody having success with the thing?  I sure as hell am not.

From what I've heard, that pretty much sums up the whole british destroyer line. Guess you know not to play them now right?

• Bad 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles

I hear ya.

Played it a bunch in coop to learn it, felt like I could make it work, took it into randoms and got my [edited]handed to me. 

Shelved it, got the Icarus. 1 KM more torp range makes a difference. 

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Ive seen several with multiple kills in a single battle. Even one with 4 kills in a single battle. So some players must be able to figure them out. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
399 posts
9,362 battles

Wait till you get the Lightning, that boat is good. Shell arcs are good, concealment is great, pretty agile too.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,023 posts

Rather a trash boat at Tier 5 then a trash boat at Tier 10.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
6 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

Ive seen several with multiple kills in a single battle. Even one with 4 kills in a single battle. So some players must be able to figure them out. 

There are some DD mains that can get 4 kills with a rowboat and a stack of potatoes though. I am going to play them, 7-9. 10 maybe. 

• Funny 3

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,615 battles

Yeah, I just got it and I have to agree. 
I have concealment expert on my RN CL, and with that I was able to put it on the DDs to push det range down to 6k. It's very stealthy but since the torps also only go out to 6k, you can't stealth drop, you have to get RIGHT UP in their face but the problem is , its top speed is only 35kts, with speed-flags it only go up to 36.8kts, the torps only go 59kts. So to reliably hit your targets you're talking about within 3k range. That's point-blank range for incoming fire. 

Acasta is..... difficult to play.

Edited by LancasterOne

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
8 minutes ago, Thornir said:

There are some DD mains that can get 4 kills with a rowboat and a stack of potatoes though. I am going to play them, 7-9. 10 maybe. 

Lol that's a little bit of an exaggeration. But I get your point.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
27 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

Yeah, I just got it and I have to agree. 
I have concealment expert on my RN CL, and with that I was able to put it on the DDs to push det range down to 6k. It's very stealthy but since the torps also only go out to 6k, you can't stealth drop, you have to get RIGHT UP in their face but the problem is , its top speed is only 35kts, with speed-flags it only go up to 36.8kts, the torps only go 59kts. So to reliably hit your targets you're talking about within 3k range. That's point-blank range for incoming fire. 

Acasta is..... difficult to play.

yeah, the torps are highly situational, for sure.

Beta Testers
2,987 posts
4,406 battles

they are "designed" to contest cap and vision control,but they can't contest if the torps are too short ranged and the guns are trash,so all that is left is the vision control.

LOL,congratulations,you got a unarmed scout.

things start to get ok at tier8,but seriously,you need to grind all those creepy fellas just to get to tier8.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
781 posts
6,404 battles

Oh and I forgot the mention: The AA seems entirely hypothetical.  Like... I don't expect a T5 DD to have much AA, but it would be nice to be able to shoot down the lingering float plane left behind by a sunken BB with less than a minute of sustained AA fire.

• Funny 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,040 posts
9,833 battles

Eh, I enjoy it.  It's basically Gallant with worse torps at T5.  That's plenty good gunwise (no worse than USN arcs, honestly), and the torps will still cause pain-you just have to be more careful and position right to use them effectively.  The smoke is short, but you have lots of charges and they reload quickly, making for hit and run tactics.  As for AA, only two DDs at T5 have any AA to speak of: T-22 and Nicholas (which has worse DPS but access to DFAA).

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
272 posts
3,713 battles

its tiny and hard to hit, ambush ships kite. If i don,t potato then i get 1-3 kills 5-7 torp hits even gun down the occasional dd

[XBRTC]
Members
1,419 posts
7,445 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Oh and I forgot the mention: The AA seems entirely hypothetical.  Like... I don't expect a T5 DD to have much AA, but it would be nice to be able to shoot down the lingering float plane left behind by a sunken BB with less than a minute of sustained AA fire.

Kamikaze would like to talk to you about hypothetical AA.

image.png.b26a698f636bc03bd14f0f48895e9161.png

• Funny 1