You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

UK DD reviews?

22 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,191 posts
18,924 battles

Lightning. Jevris is okish. You are right about the two others.

Just copy what I wrote a few minutes ago in another post about T7/8

Strength:

- good concealment, the Lightning is with modul, camo and CE down to 5.5km

- torpedos hit hard

- the acceleration is excellent

- turrets turn 360°, good fire angles

- shell balistic is slightly better then USN at T7, T8 is much better

- Lightning is down to 4.1 seconds reload with BFT

- hydro, but mostly to evade torpedos because of the limited range

- ruddershift and turning circle is ok

- high chance to start a fire

- Lightning need 9 seconds for her turrets to turn 180°

Weakness:

- smoke only last for 40 seconds, rather to get away then sitting inside and pewpew

- no speedboost

- they aren't the fastest DD

- hitpoint pool is low

Good support ships, if you want to contest caps, you better bring some friends.

Subjective: the Lightning looks good.

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
715 posts
2,678 battles

I got the Gallant in Christmas crates last year and never played it. With the RN event on, I noticed a couple of tasks have to be done in RN DD's and actually found it pretty good. I'm not sure I'd buy it based on stats, but I'm surprised that I did consistently well with it over 12 matches or so. 

[DENY]
Members
345 posts
4,765 battles

I got all 4 of them , where it start to be really good it the lighting ,  lightning beats Shima in concealment by .1 km , they are all good fire starter ,  I even detonated a Farragut last night with the t8 , guys was salty ! 

I will likely grind the t10 , I think I actually found the perfect line for my style of play

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles

I got Gallant in the Santa crates and it really needs the MBM2 to get the turrets to turn faster (15.7s instead of 18s). Once I get EM for the 12th skill point, then the main guns will do a 180 deg turn in 12.9s so the guns won't be so bad. The T2 through T7 UK DDs will have 18s or more 180 deg turns, so I'm thinking that MBM2 and EM will need to be on all of them. I'm planning to go with this until the T8 UK DD boats (in the order I will get them).

Up to T7 & T8 Cossack

PT, LS, SE, CE, EM, IFHE, BFT

The T8+ tech tree UK DDs will be this as their turrets will do a 180 deg turn in 9s or less.

PT, LS, SE, CE, IFHE, BFT, AR/SSE

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles

I have the Tier V - VII and Gallant.

As stated, Gallant is.....not great. OP Dynamo is kind of it's only thing. It can be played in Random, but I would only suggest that if you like a challenge.

The three tech tree DDs I have not played enough yet to make a complete determination.

Members
42 posts
2,607 battles

The Acasta is not great.  Really nothing to write home about.  It just doesn't do anything particularly well.  It doesn't really have anything about it either.  But that is inline with the other T5 destroyers.  The Nicolas and Jianwei are let downs after Clemson and Shiratsuyu, and the T-22 is the low point of the KM line.

The Icarus is horrible.  I was kind of interested in it because the 3km hydro isn't too bad in relation to other t6 hydros.  While that did come in handy a couple times, it's really hard to get your guns going.  The gun arcs are very bad and you pretty much have to be broadside to get them all firing.  It's a bad combination with 18s 180 turn time.

The Jervis is okay.  It increases to 3 double turrets.  Stealth torp firing is much more possible with the range increase to 7km.  It's better than the US DDs and probably similarly good to the KM DD.  The real issue is in comparison to Gadjah Mada.  The Jervis is J-class and Gadjah Mada is N-class, so they are not the same class of ship.  However, they look and feel almost identical.  So it really makes one wonder way Jervis has 6.3 detection to GM's 6.1, and why it doesn't have the 15 degree forward firing angle for the 3rd gun like GM has.  I don't know what it is, but it's nowhere near 15 degrees.

The Lightning is very good.  It has massive upgrades over the Jervis.  It's torps increase in range to 8km.  Its detection goes down to 5.5km.  all three turrets turn 360 degrees.  It is much closer to having all guns firing at 15 degrees off center than Jervis.  It may actually be 15.  It's too close to tell.  It's 180 turn time also goes down to 9s, so that is much stronger.  It's just a nice feeling ship to play.  Of course you are still stuck in T10 most of the time, but it can manage pretty well.

In conclusion, Lightning is the keeper out of the four of them.  You may want to keep Jervis as well, but I wouldn't bother if you already have Gadjah Mada.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
24 posts
5,367 battles

It's not necessarily a full blown review, but I posted my thoughts on the Lightning a little while ago having run it through a handful of matches. I have had Gallant for almost a year, and got the Acasta, Icarus and Lightning from the RN crates. I like the Lightning quite a bit, but it makes certain demands on your playstyle (ie; you MUST stay out of radar range - there are no quick ways to escape in this boat).

Here's the link to my thread on Lightning 

Lightning - initial thoughts

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles
31 minutes ago, Rainman106 said:

Stealth torp firing is much more possible with the range increase to 7km. 

Icarus has this on the upgraded torps (which go from 4 per launcher to 5); did you remember to select the upgraded modules before you took her out?

Granted, I put a captain with CE in her while she's still semi-premium, so that helped, but no camo was involved.

Members
42 posts
2,607 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Icarus has this on the upgraded torps (which go from 4 per launcher to 5); did you remember to select the upgraded modules before you took her out?

Granted, I put a captain with CE in her while she's still semi-premium, so that helped, but no camo was involved.

I actually just forgot they were the same.  I was playing with a 10 point captain as well.  Icarus was the last one I got, so I spent a lot of time comparing the jump from Acasta to Jervis.  Hence my ill-advised statement.  Still, Icarus sucks.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I really like the Jervis, won't play the tier 5 and 6 because what's the point. I have the Cossack but haven't played it yet. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles
8 hours ago, firemedic1428 said:

I really like the Jervis, won't play the tier 5 and 6 because what's the point.

Some of us are enthusiasts and want to savour the whole line; some of us just want the best bote. Whatever floats yours, friend.  :Smile_honoring:

[WMD]
Members
182 posts
5,219 battles

I find Icarus quite fun when I get it out. You need to plan your torp runs, but with CE you have a 1km stealth torp window. I mostly spot and torp, using guns only when everybody is distracted. With the guns I play it more like a BB, moving the ship around the turrets, given its acceleration and turning it works fairly well. 

I'm not a pro, but playing the boat to it's strengths works better than trying to make it a Faragut light. 

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Some of us are enthusiasts and want to savour the whole line; some of us just want the best bote. Whatever floats yours, friend.  :Smile_honoring:

I mean as far as for me its to grind the line, tier 5 and 6 are just bad tiers as of late (although 9 and 10 aren't any better this morning)

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

I'm not a pro, but playing the boat to it's strengths works better than trying to make it a Faragut light. 

Odd you should draw that comparison, because:

1) The Icarus's torps are slightly longer-ranged than the Farragut's, IIRC, and with a 10 point captain (I am using my Leander captain* while the Icarus is still semi-premium), she has a 1km stealth torp window; the Farragut does not.

2) Show me ANY other destroyer at Tier 6 that can put out ten torps at once FROM STEALTH.

In terms of guns, no, the Icarus is no match at all. But that five torp spread means that if the enemy BB is headed straight in, you have one on the nose and two either side; it's a lot harder to head straight down the middle and hope they go either side of you. And that's just the first rack. The benefits of early unlock (the stock Icarus has a four-torp launcher, which will have to be ground or free XP'd to, and I think it should be the first module people spend their ship XP on when the line is released).

* = I feel that the British destroyer captains could benefit from taking torpedo armament expertise as their first three-point skill. My Leander captain's lineup of PT LS SI CE is destroyer-suitable and gives you the extra smoke charge, and hydro at higher tiers, but others may prefer to play a different game.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Well, I started out not liking it, but I've been playing Lightning like my IJN DDs, only closer, because of the concealment (it's literally better than Shimakaze's at T10 which you will fight) and it's better.

The AP is not bad broadside to a Gearing or equivalent, was getting 3K+ damage, got some 2k volleys on broadside DM, I usually don't switch to AP unless I'm playing German DDs.

The problem is the guns don't hit hard or fast compared to many other DDs at tier or above, the torps are short range but the detection is okay, there are better ones. An Akizuki or other true gunboat will [edited] you up in a hurry. It's hard not to include direct comparisons with T10's because of the famous T8 MM where you are always fighting them.

The agility is to annoy, like a Khab, you can sometimes brazenly open water gun at things drawing fire and getting people to reveal their locations, it's a good scout. Fire chance is not bad and with the floatiness you can land fires over hills on BBs and with your agility you can open water fairly well. It depends on who you're fighting but I was able to gunboat with a DM at 8km and he could barely hit me (probably a better one would have deleted me to be fair).

As stated, you don't bleed speed in a turn, it has built in propulsion mod, but the speed is average not great and you don't get a speed boost (this part sucks).

The smokes are ... gimmicky and kind of crapbut given the current meta smokes are mostly crapanyway even the "good" ones. There's a LOT of radar and hydro in the MM spread. I've seen some comparisons to Lo Yang, that's fair, but this has better and guns with worse torps, hydro, and smoke.

$.02

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
40 posts
1,647 battles

I received through playing the Acasta, Icarus, and Jervis. I kept the Jervis and sold the other 2. I have not tried much to move up to the Lightning. To me, the British DD's shots are all over the place, the torps are ok. The smoke is a joke, and not having the boost when you need it can leave you in a pickle at times.

Edited by woody428
mispelling

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
1 minute ago, woody428 said:

I received through playing the Acasta, Icarus, and Jervis. I kept the Jervis and sold the other 2. I have not tried much to move up to the Lightning. To me, the British DD's shots are all over the place, the torps are ok. The smoke is a joke, and not having the boast when you need it can leave you in a pickle at times.

Just type your boast into chat. :Smile_teethhappy:

The lack of the speed boost means that you have to be more careful about exits and saving the smoke for that.

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
40 posts
1,647 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Just type your boast into chat. :Smile_teethhappy:

The lack of the speed boost means that you have to be more careful about exits and saving the smoke for that.

I understand that and it was an adjustment from playing USN DDs. I know my spelling is terrible but you know what I mean.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 11:02 PM, Kizarvexis said:

I'm planning to go with this until the T8 UK DD boats (in the order I will get them).

Up to T7 & T8 Cossack

PT, LS, SE, CE, EM, IFHE, BFT

I took a different route. Wanting to grind this line up from the very bottom, I took the six-point British Azure Lane captain they were giving away free for a pittance of achievement a while back and specced PT, LS and Torpedo Armament Expertise.

At Tiers 2 and 3, this means my nimble little sports-car boats don't have to wait quite as long for their torps to reload and I can spit them out at an impressive rate while using my complete lack of bleeding off speed in sharp turns to WASD better than most other destroyers at this tier. Valkyrie guns are good enough that BFT is not essential when dealing with Tier 2 ships that you meet often and I am prepared to take my chances with the base hit points if it means having my primary armament ready 10% sooner. 

The acceleration and lack of speed loss even in sharp turns (the ENTIRE HORIZON heels over when you kick the rudder into full, it's THAT fast) compensate for the lack of speed boost, but it does make you play a bit more carefully... which is probably a good thing. Once you get into trouble, though, you have the WASD power you need to keep you alive until you can either smoke up or duck behind hard cover.

Whether this meta will last into and beyond T4 or whether I'll have to spec another captain when I get up to the Acasta is yet to be seen. But for now I'm having a great time.

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
Just now, woody428 said:

I understand that and it was an adjustment from playing USN DDs. I know my spelling is terrible but you know what I mean.

I knew what you meant, but just couldn't resist. Hence the laugh emoji. :Smile_teethhappy:

I figured that your device "corrected" it for you. Mine does often enough.

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I took a different route. Wanting to grind this line up from the very bottom, I took the six-point British Azure Lane captain they were giving away free for a pittance of achievement a while back and specced PT, LS and Torpedo Armament Expertise.

At Tiers 2 and 3, this means my nimble little sports-car boats don't have to wait quite as long for their torps to reload and I can spit them out at an impressive rate while using my complete lack of bleeding off speed in sharp turns to WASD better than most other destroyers at this tier. Valkyrie guns are good enough that BFT is not essential when dealing with Tier 2 ships that you meet often and I am prepared to take my chances with the base hit points if it means having my primary armament ready 10% sooner. 

The acceleration and lack of speed loss even in sharp turns (the ENTIRE HORIZON heels over when you kick the rudder into full, it's THAT fast) compensate for the lack of speed boost, but it does make you play a bit more carefully... which is probably a good thing. Once you get into trouble, though, you have the WASD power you need to keep you alive until you can either smoke up or duck behind hard cover.

Whether this meta will last into and beyond T4 or whether I'll have to spec another captain when I get up to the Acasta is yet to be seen. But for now I'm having a great time.

I had some spare Cmdrs, so I had enough for each tier and 3 for future tiers. Cossack and Gallant came with 10pt Cmdrs, so those will be my permanent T7 & T8 Cmdrs when I get those ships. The 6pt Nelson girl went into Icarus as the permanent Cmdr and I got her to 10pts last patch. My 5pt Weymouth Cmdr went to the T4. The 3pt Campbeltown Cmdr went to the T3 and the 3 pt Icarus Cmdr went to the T2. Acasta kept her Cmdr, but I got him to 6pts. I have a 10pt UK Dasha Cmdr who will move up the line to Daring. I'll make a new 10+pt permanent Cmdr for Jutland when I get to it.

To me, the low tier and mid tier DDs are pretty similar, so I don't think I'll spec them any differently as the Cmdrs get more points.