You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WES_HoundDog

Should Islands of ice be returned to it's former layout?

Should Islands of ice be returned to it's former layout?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should Islands of ice be returned to it's former layout?

• Yes
    • No

30 comments in this topic

Members
435 posts
8,398 battles

I don't think the game needs another mountain range map that is identical one one side as it is the other so it's the exact same map every time you play it.  No positioning differences, no strategy difference, the complete rerun of the same game on each side. Boring twice as fast!   What say you?

• Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,892 battles

I definitely prefer the two older versions. Now seems to play similarly to several other maps

[HYDRO]
Members
1,338 posts
3,669 battles

I like how they copied so many things from mountain range, as if it's the best example of a good map :Smile_facepalm:.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,223 posts
8,804 battles

Alpha/CBT version please. We saw far too much of it back in testing and at least for me it took some time for the twitches to go way but it was a good map.

Another map, actually match type I would like to see come back if the Alpha/beta Hot Spot five cap domination.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
21 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Bring back the first version(CBT), or second version(OBT).

Bring back the original version.  I remember playing the "original" version (the one with the dense field of ice floes in the map's southeast) in open beta.  The original version of Islands of Ice was the best.  It had real character.  It's possible that it may have been too large, but that's not THAT difficult to fix.  Just remove the top 1-2 rows and the leftmost 1-2 columns, and resize.  Bingo, presto!  A slightly smaller version of the original map with the most important parts of what made it so great intact.

But I'd also make one or both of these new versions into a "new" map with a different name!  We need MORE maps, not simply a constant stream of revised maps.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Alpha/CBT version please. We saw far too much of it back in testing and at least for me it took some time for the twitches to go way but it was a good map.

Another map, actually match type I would like to see come back if the Alpha/beta Hot Spot five cap domination.

BrushWolf, I liked some of the original version of Hotspot, particularly the layout of the islands around where A cap is currently.  OTOH, I didn't like the cross-split spawn at all.  Every battle was the same.  One team would try to send both of their sub groups at a single enemy subgroup, and often overwhelm it, if enough of that attacking team moved together.  And the 4th subgroup was often not able to get close enough to help out their team mates.

Thus, while I did like that map (though not the cross spawns), I think that it's still too similar to make a comeback.  Islands of Ice, OTOH, doesn't have this problem.  The previous E/W spawning version and the new N/S spawning version are both SOOOOO different from the original that the devs could absolutely use all 3 maps as different maps with different names, and I don't think that anyone would seriously complain.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
34 minutes ago, Crucis said:

BrushWolf, I liked some of the original version of Hotspot, particularly the layout of the islands around where A cap is currently.  OTOH, I didn't like the cross-split spawn at all.  Every battle was the same.  One team would try to send both of their sub groups at a single enemy subgroup, and often overwhelm it, if enough of that attacking team moved together.  And the 4th subgroup was often not able to get close enough to help out their team mates.

Thus, while I did like that map (though not the cross spawns), I think that it's still too similar to make a comeback.  Islands of Ice, OTOH, doesn't have this problem.  The previous E/W spawning version and the new N/S spawning version are both SOOOOO different from the original that the devs could absolutely use all 3 maps as different maps with different names, and I don't think that anyone would seriously complain.

Yeah, a more normal spawn would be needed for the five cap Hot Spot. Yeah, it was either an attempted pincer movement or reforming the spawns into a single force. Even with most of the team on TeamSpeak it was hard to coordinate the split spwans.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,204 posts
7,189 battles

Yes. Bring back the original version, not the crap version we've seen for the past couple years.

Members
4,748 posts
5,466 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Bring back the original version.  I remember playing the "original" version (the one with the dense field of ice floes in the map's southeast) in open beta.  The original version of Islands of Ice was the best.  It had real character.  It's possible that it may have been too large, but that's not THAT difficult to fix.  Just remove the top 1-2 rows and the leftmost 1-2 columns, and resize.  Bingo, presto!  A slightly smaller version of the original map with the most important parts of what made it so great intact.

But I'd also make one or both of these new versions into a "new" map with a different name!  We need MORE maps, not simply a constant stream of revised maps.

If I recall correctly, the problem with the original version(after the first revision that opened up the center a little) was the awkward spawn layout. If they just made the spawns NE and SW instead of the east/SW they used to have, it probably wouldn't needed to have been changed so much. Or they could have just kept the island orientation and made the spawns east/west. Map terrain would have been uneven, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
9 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

If I recall correctly, the problem with the original version(after the first revision that opened up the center a little) was the awkward spawn layout. If they just made the spawns NE and SW instead of the east/SW they used to have, it probably wouldn't needed to have been changed so much. Or they could have just kept the island orientation and made the spawns east/west. Map terrain would have been uneven, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As I recall, one of the complaints was that the map was too large.  But as I mention in my post you quoted, that's fixable, as is difficult spawn locations.

The original version of Islands of Ice had serious character.  Tons more than any version that came after it.  

Members
4,748 posts
5,466 battles

A quick google search turns up the two original variants of Islands of Ice.

The original, from alpha/CBT. Lasted into OBT for a little bit before being changed.

post-1013284475-0-55991600-1428180602.jp

This is what I call the OBT version.

59dd5ed9759af_IslandsofIce.thumb.jpg.c98

The issues, from what I remember of these versions of Islands of Ice were, as @Crucis said, the maps were a wee bit too large. Also the spawns were awkward, both being off center and more towards the southern end of the map. The East spawning team also had a habit of having one or two ships spawn isolated in the north while the rest of the team was heavy in the south. In the second version, the center was a little too open, and it made it difficult to push the south side of the map. Lolrado's were infamous for getting caught out in that open area and being unable to escape. And lastly, with these layouts, cap D (north of the two/three large islands) was largely pointless as it was just too cut off and too far away from the spawns to be useful (much like D used to be on the North map, before it was removed).

The alpha/CBT version was definitely the best from an island layout standpoint. It had it's issues, but it really didn't call for such a drastic re-imagining 3 times.

• Cool 1

Members
3,647 posts
13,511 battles

The original map, the one that was in use at the time of game release, is the best one. And the map that was just Charlie Foxtrotted was definitely better than this thing they have now. Hell, the "new" Islands of Ice is so different from it's predecessor that it's a entirely new, and sucky, map and should be renamed.

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
4 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

The original, from alpha/CBT. Lasted into OBT for a little bit before being changed.

The issues, from what I remember of these versions of Islands of Ice were, as @Crucis said, the maps were a wee bit too large. Also the spawns were awkward, both being off center and more towards the southern end of the map. The East spawning team also had a habit of having one or two ships spawn isolated in the north while the rest of the team was heavy in the south. In the second version, the center was a little too open, and it made it difficult to push the south side of the map. Lolrado's were infamous for getting caught out in that open area and being unable to escape. And lastly, with these layouts, cap D (north of the two/three large islands) was largely pointless as it was just too cut off and too far away from the spawns to be useful (much like D used to be on the North map, before it was removed).

The alpha/CBT version was definitely the best from an island layout standpoint. It had it's issues, but it really didn't call for such a drastic re-imagining 3 times.

Ghost, I VASTLY prefer the top version.  I loved the dense field of ice floes in the SE.   The second version is just the original and best version made a smidge more open (which I usually prefer) and more boring.  The original Ice map is by far the best.

I will say this.  The northwest "D" cap area was pretty boring.  And if the map devs wanted to make the original map smaller, as I've previously suggested, they could just cut off the top 2 rows and left most 2 columns, which would remove that D cap area.  (And maybe make some tweaks to give the removal some polish.)  

The original map, aside from the NW, was an outstanding map with amazing character.  All of the subsequent versions of gotten progressively more boring.

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
5 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

The original map, the one that was in use at the time of game release, is the best one. And the map that was just Charlie Foxtrotted was definitely better than this thing they have now. Hell, the "new" Islands of Ice is so different from it's predecessor that it's a entirely new, and sucky, map and should be renamed.

ReddNekk, I wouldn't mind having either or both of the two most recent versions in the game under new names.  The game needs more maps.  Hell, the game needs more mid tier maps.   And BTW, there are no mid tier arctic maps.

Also, the best version of the Ice map was the topmost version in Ghost's post.  The one with the dense ice floe field in the SE.  I usually prefer more open maps, but I truly loved the feel of that ice floe area.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

2n4B6L5.gif

Bring back the OLD, OLD Islands of Ice.  Interestingly, BBs loved to fight in out in that cluster of islands around D4.  Lots of ships went that way.  The island cluster in the south / southeast were AWESOME as a DD or Cruiser!

The best part was there were many zones to cater to the different variety of ships, play styles.  Plenty enough open water and islands.  The islands were great if you liked to fight close-in.  Enough open water zones to establish dominance and control movement once achieved.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
2,733 posts
4,352 battles

I played only big ships that could reached this map's tier back then...people were more offensively minded back then and did not get demoralized easily.

Original version northwest fight is not going to work these days...

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
1 hour ago, pyantoryng said:

I played only big ships that could reached this map's tier back then...people were more offensively minded back then and did not get demoralized easily.

Original version northwest fight is not going to work these days...

Spawn locations was the biggest issue with maps that were changed or removed

[OPG]
Members
3,912 posts
5,503 battles

The old Islands of Ice wasn't with out flaws, but I still think it was far better than the current iteration.  I really really don't like Islands of Ice this patch.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,695 battles
6 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

I don't think the game needs another mountain range map that is identical one one side as it is the other so it's the exact same map every time you play it.  No positioning differences, no strategy difference, the complete rerun of the same game on each side. Boring twice as fast!   What say you?

It's not the best map but anything was better than the previous version where the A cap was a magnet for players with special needs.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,501 posts
8,037 battles
7 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Absolutely yess, current model feels like warriors path with a few islands moved around and snow thrown on top. Old Islans of ice was perfect dor every class ship in the game and looked it too. It was one of the few high tier maps i didn't feel pressured into certain points. 

In addition, nore than enough water on all sides of the map, dds have enough water in the middle ro enter the center without even spotting each other.

Not to mention the spawn layout made you feel apart of a naval task force arriving on station. Not a phalanx amassing for battle.

Yes! PS WG 

Bring back old Islands of Ice!!!!

Please! We love you.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,501 posts
8,037 battles
5 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

With the game as is today [points instead of draws] large size is no longer a problem since you dont have to sink everything to win. In addition, Ice Islands seen much lower riers that had much slower ships with shorter range.

This mode would work perfectly with all the spots for shell lobbing usn/rn cruisers and plenty of open water for long range lazer ships like Hindenberg/Moskva.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,501 posts
8,037 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

It's not the best map but anything was better than the previous version where the A cap was a magnet for players with special needs.

Every map has ome of those spots in all honesty. But i dont blame the player, most havn't even had a boat ride before, and log on for some luff time with our the risk of drowning.