You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FloridaPanther25

Worcester - Long Range Module?

9 comments in this topic

Members
54 posts
7,173 battles

I have the Worcester outfitted with the fast gun reload module and like it. Range is 16.7km. But it's a light cruiser and you have to angle/kite to not take a beating. I was curious about using the longer range module and what that might take my range out to - 18km? Does anyone have experience with it? Would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

Members
396 posts
6,338 battles

Long range is handy to melt BBs or camping Moskva / Des Moines otherwise hard to hit at that range, I like the long range 

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

The question that should determine whether you should go for the range mod, is whether you can nail targets over 16.7km.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,281 posts
12,830 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

The question that should determine whether you should go for the range mod, is whether you can nail targets over 16.7km.

With those arcs, even.

[TSPC]
Members
178 posts
6,581 battles

16.7km is actually a surprisingly easy engagement range to get into even in t10. That combined with the poor long-range performance means that you should probably not run range mod.

- Though to answer the original question, range w/ range mod it's like 19.4km.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles

I can see the extra gun range being useful to troll camping targets.  Bow Camping BBs at safer distances, easy to hit since they are stationary or moving slowly, etc.  Hitting island campers, i.e. other USN Cruisers hiding behind islands while further out.  Just hitting them and dislodging them to stop what they're doing is a benefit to the team.  But moving targets at those ranges?  Even BBs will be annoying to hit, much less a smaller Cruiser.  Worcester already struggles to hit DDs above single digit ranges.

However, with the extra range is extra gun bloom / detection.  One of the things I frequently did with Worcester is going to some side to intercept a DD, and then killing it.  With the normal Worcester gun range, once the DD is dead, I'm usually far enough to immediately drop back into stealth, because the DD was the only thing close enough to spot me.  But if you go with the long range, your bloom is going to be so high that doing what I described becomes much more difficult, and enemy players will get their chances to take pot shots at you before you go dark, some of which may be accurate enough to punish you.

I highly considered taking the extra range upgrade, but with my time on Atlanta, Tier VI & VIII Cleveland with their floaty shell behavior, knowing how gun bloom works, and because I liked intercepting DDs with my Cruisers, I elected not to take the upgrade.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RUSHB]
Members
148 posts
2,285 battles

I am good at shooting, so went long range with the Worcester and Mino. Have had a few people laugh at me and call me a noob bc I use the range upgrade. Those same players WISH they could do the damage I do. If you know how to shoot, range upgrade can be great on it. If you are not as good at shooting stick to reload. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,227 posts
14,647 battles
2 hours ago, Ghatazhak said:

I am good at shooting, so went long range with the Worcester and Mino. Have had a few people laugh at me and call me a noob bc I use the range upgrade. Those same players WISH they could do the damage I do. If you know how to shoot, range upgrade can be great on it. If you are not as good at shooting stick to reload. 

I've imagined doing that with Worcester.  Take the range upgrade, find a central position, and shell across the map.  Moving targets at long range will be extremely difficult, but High Tier is very campy.  Someone, somewhere is trying to camp and you can use your range and high arcing shells to make them change their minds.

As I said before in my reply before you, the gun bloom when I intercepted DDs was why I didn't take the upgrade.  I was pretty close, but man, that massive gun bloom.

However, now that I think about it more, since WG nerfed Worcester's radar range, and the impending CE nerf, the split between her Radar and concealment range will be even more massive than it is today.  So the days of me surprising a DD when I intercept them are over.  The range module may be the way to go.  I'll think about it some.  I'm just greatly annoyed that the primary reason I got Worcester for, unrivaled DD Hunting capability for a Cruiser, is now dead.

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,787 battles

Completely destroyed a Worcester with my Hindy the other day. He was running the border of the map and I just stayed around 15-16km nailing him with AP & HE. He couldn't hit me hardly at all at that range.