You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

how to play new british destroyers?

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

Hi all just thought I would ask has anyone found what these new British destroyers are good at? I recently got the mission for Jervis the tier 7 so now I am somewhat interested in how this new line plays and no I didn't buy a bunch of containers I just got some of the free containers and got him. When I spent $15 on containers I only got Acasta for a dd mission. Weird how that turned out, but anyway I am happy and will enjoy Jervis once I get an idea of how to play him first.  SO how does one play these new britishdestroyers?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,701 battles

WASD for movement, look around and aim with the mouse, leftclick to fire your weapon.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 3

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,443 posts
11,712 battles

Really strong under 9 km.

They seem to take damage similar to German destroyers. 

Don't really miss speed boost.

Smoke reminds me of Pan Asian. 

You really need concealment expert.

They come stock, but all upgrades are free.

Currently seems they act like premium as far as putting captains on them.

Members
1,296 posts
21,024 battles

I'm not a good DD player.  But i do well in the RN cruisers until the Mino.

The RN DD have super responsive speed it seems to me, so I don't really miss the speed boost.  

I've only played the Icarus, and just got the Acasta.  I'm actually enjoying the play style.  Enough smoke to get you out of trouble, but not good duration, so I can't sit and fire from smoke too long, which is one of my many DD player faults. 

I coming to like the hydro, and Icarus seems to hold up OK against other T6 DD's in a gun fight, despite the slow turret traverse.

Torps are OK.

[WOLFB]
Members
623 posts
22,302 battles

you play them for missions until they are release "live" in the regular Tech tree....Then you can SELL THEM.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,887 battles

If you are ok with the Jervis you will like the Lightning. T5 and T6 are rather rubbish.

Strength:

- good concealment, the Lightning is with modul, camo and CE down to 5.5km

- torpedos hit hard

- the acceleration is excellent

- turrets turn 360°, good fire angles

- shell balistic is slightly better then USN at T7, T8 is much better

- Lightning is down to 4.1 seconds reload with BFT

- hydro, but mostly to evade torpedos because of the limited range

- ruddershift and turning circle is ok

- high chance to start a fire

- Lightning need 9 seconds for her turrets to turn 180°

Weakness:

- smoke only last for 40 seconds, rather to get away then sitting inside and pewpew

- no speedboost

- they aren't the fastest DD

- hitpoint pool is low

Good support ships, if you want to contest caps, you better bring some friends.

Subjective: the Lightning looks good.

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

From what I gathered, they're annoying defensive ships that can use smoke to hold or get out of bind and still hang around the area somewhere to torpedo you. 

[NNA]
Members
185 posts
5,642 battles

I admit I was kind of skeptical of them as well until I started playing them. After a few battles they kind of grew on me. Right now I have the Acasta and the Icarus and I'm working on getting the Jervis. I've had to change my tactics with these ships from the way I normally play DDs. Since the smoke is of such short size and duration, I use it mostly to disengage or to reposition. The reload time for the torps (at least on the Icarus) is 1:20 if you've upgraded to the Mk VII, otherwise it's 90 seconds for the default Mk V. Most times my torps are not ready to fire, by the time I get to a cap so I have to maneuver to stay concealed until they're ready. As mentioned, there is no speed boost, but a Sierra Mike flag will help with speed. They are pretty agile and can hold their own against most DDs. Overall they have to played on the run, usually  smoking out to concealment and then reengaging at a different angle. They're very good at harassing CAs and BBs as long as you stay on the move and duck and weave against enemy fire. They don't have great AA, but most times planes will pass you by for juicer targets. You can get some decent scores if you play them right.

Icarus 1 2018-09-22.png

Icarus 2 2018-09-22 (1).png