You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
embeddeddear97

Arizona camo change

11 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
210 posts
1,897 battles

So I took out the Arizona to retrain a commander today and noticed a difference in the camo. Me and my clan were talking about the camos on the standard class and the markings on the gun turrets. We noticed how the Arizona had 4 red turret markings which is not realistic. The Arizona had turrets red red blue red. Wows had it all red. Today I found out they changed it to its historical accuracy

C1D2A52F-B4FA-46A0-883B-51B573D1F6A5.jpeg

23A8D224-ABB4-495A-8A64-3AC6F03815DB.jpeg

7D995928-828C-4F12-85CF-D96A20FEDDC7.jpeg

• Cool 2

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
499 posts
5,584 battles

Ok I'll bite. Waiting for a navy nerd to explain this....historical accuracy be darned this is going to bug me. One of my top 5 ships so it's not a deal breaker or anything, just seems really odd. They just run out of red paint one day and said "ahhh that'll do"

[MIA-A]
Members
2,039 posts
9,805 battles
38 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

Ok I'll bite. Waiting for a navy nerd to explain this....historical accuracy be darned this is going to bug me. One of my top 5 ships so it's not a deal breaker or anything, just seems really odd. They just run out of red paint one day and said "ahhh that'll do"

Arizona was part of Battleship Division 1 which also contained USS Pennsylvania and USS Nevada (though at pearl, Oklahoma took Pennsylvania's place because Pennsylvania was in drydock)  You could pick out which ship of the division was which from the air by which turrets were coloured.  Each division had a different turret top colour with the first two turrets being the division colour, and the last the section in the division.  1 was red, 2 white, 3 blue, 4 black, and 5 yellow.  Nevada was Red Red White; Oklahoma Red Red Blue (when the attack happened). Arizona, of course, being the division leader (due to Pennsylvania being in drydock), was Red Red Red.  I assume one turret wasn't painted to allow the triple turret BBs to fit into the code.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,959 posts
25 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Arizona was part of Battleship Division 1 which also contained USS Pennsylvania and USS Nevada (though at pearl, Oklahoma took Pennsylvania's place because Pennsylvania was in drydock)  You could pick out which ship of the division was which from the air by which turrets were coloured.  Each division had a different turret top colour with the first two turrets being the division colour, and the last the section in the division.  1 was red, 2 white, 3 blue, 4 black, and 5 yellow.  Nevada was Red Red White; Oklahoma Red Red Blue (when the attack happened). Arizona, of course, being the division leader (due to Pennsylvania being in drydock), was Red Red Red.  I assume one turret wasn't painted to allow the triple turret BBs to fit into the code.

Or because Arizona had a catapult on her third turret, which would've obscured the paintwork anyway.

CVekIbaUAAA-_dJ.jpg

Nice to see WG correct the turret, but too bad the ship still isn't entirely historical. AFAIK Arizona was never fitted with 1.1-inch AA guns or a radar on her foremast. Only her sister ship Pennsylvania got them since she survived the Pearl Harbor attack.

Edited by Wolcott
  • Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,039 posts
9,805 battles
Just now, Wolcott said:

Or because Arizona had a catapult on her third turret, which would've obscured the paintwork anyway.

CVekIbaUAAA-_dJ.jpg

Also a possibility-though the same code was used even for the 5 turret ships (with 2 turrets left blank) as far as I'm aware

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles

Great, now all they need to do is make the weather deck teak color instead of blue IIRC.

• Cool 1

Members
1,299 posts
21,051 battles

I was wondering about this.  Knew I could find the answer in the forums somewhere.

Members
90 posts
4,010 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, Lert said:

Great, now all they need to do is make the weather deck teak color instead of blue IIRC.

I'm not so sure about this. I've been chasing info on the Pearl Harbor ships' paint schemes for years, and judging by the photos from the attack and the official Navy camo guidelines of the day (effective since Sept. '41) I think the Pearl ships had their teak decks painted blue (Deck Blue 20-B is the official Navy designation of the color used). One Japanese pilot mentioned noting the "light-colored decks" of the battleships, and overhead photos of Battleship Row show some ships with light decks fore and aft. However, other photos show white canvas sun shades rigged over the decks at those locations; I suspect the canvas shades are the source of the confusion. If anyone has more definitive information about this stuff I'd love to hear about it.

I did like seeing that WG has finally gotten Arizona's BatDiv markings corrected, however. :Smile_medal:

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,138 posts
6,777 battles

Didn't I read that NY, TX and AZ getting turret-top catapults and aircraft in an upcoming patch? Perhaps this is in preparation for that change?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,175 posts
11,693 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 11:13 AM, HeathenForay said:

It's because of what the red paint meant, and where it was.  the two forward turrets are the color for BatDiv1.  The red aft turret is which ship in the division it is, in this case, flagship, or element 1.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,543 battles

From what I've seen, the markings were done by turret or mount number, and not by location, and didn't include the North Carolina and any later battleships.

With the Standards, turrets 1 and 2 were the forward turrets, turret 4 was the aft most, With a New York, turret 4 is still the one that would have the colored roof, even though it was not the aft most turret. Same with the Wyoming's, the colored turret roof would be the aft most amidships turret.

As far as the deck being painted or not, the ships at Pearl Harbor were in the final preparations for war (the USN understood it was going to be at war, just not quite that soon), ships were in several different variations of the same camouflage scheme (some had false bow waves, some did not, ect...) , the Arizona and several other battleships had dismounted 4 of the 5"/51 cal guns for replacement with 1.1" AA guns, ect ... It's possible that many of the battleships and cruisers hadn't painted the decks out yet, and were going to wait until the preparations were complete before finishing the paint work (last thing you want to do is paint the deck, and then do a lot of work on board, just to have to repaint it).