You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh; my game strategy moving forward.

7 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles

So far I've been a bit higglety-pigglety in my selection of ships for this RN event, but it's time to get focused.

I have a 19 point UK captain and it's time to make full use of him.

I have Jack Dunkirk at 10 points, and it's time to start building him up.

As far as eligible premium ships are concerned, I have Acasta and Icarus (while they are still pre-release premiums), Gallant, Warspite and Nelson.

My 19 pointer is in the Edinburgh; Jack is in the KGV.

My intent is to rotate the 19 pointer through all the premium ships, and if I die before the end of the match, to rotate Jack between KGV and whichever premium battleship is not currently on the bottom of the ocean. He doesn't have Last Stand, so taking him into the pseudo-premium destroyers or the Gallant has risks.

Part of me is a bit loath to use the newly won destroyers when I have absolutely no experience in a brand new destroyer line with unique characteristics (lack of speed boost). I am fortunate enough to have the Gallant to run UK DD missions in, but you can bet that if I were still free to play, I'd be flogging the Acasta and Icarus as hard as I can.

By the time all this is done, it's my intent to have the Monarch unlocked and the Cossack in hand. With the exception of the submarine phase, Halloween might be on the back-burner for me this year. I badly wanted it to milk elite captain XP (as could be done last year) for the 19 point captain, but I already have him now and I would rather put my effort into making Cossack as cheap as I possibly can.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,236 battles

Sounds like an ambitious autumn for you then ... no? Good luck with the Captains grind, I'm doing the same with my mid tier cruisers.

[RLGN]
Members
8,249 posts
17,264 battles

Did it with Sims in Dynamo; 100k+ elite xp in five runs, with signals.

Been using Jack in Gallant (had it since last year’s Dynamo,) because I hate RN cruisers; and refuse to waste him on one.

I like Gallant, but realized last night funding his specialty skills meant I hadn’t activated Last Stand...

...duuuuuuuhhhh...

(...mouses to the training toggle...)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

My highest commander is 17 points in my Benson. So I am also focusing on getting this commander to 19 points ASAP using the Tech Tree ship, the Sims  (Dynamo!) and the Atlanta.

Next up will be to get my Pan Asian DD commander to 12 points (LS & EM are both highly desired) and then on to 19 points. I have LoYang and Anshan so this will be fun and fruitful.

Following that, I want to level up a USN CL commander (IFHE + CE for the win!) and a couple RN commanders for CL and DD action.

On top of all that I want to dive back into Ranked play, level up to the Fletcher/Gearing for Arms Race and keep up with the Royal Navy event for all the free stuff (correction: 3 ships for $1... they're exploiting me!). And the subs/Halloween operations look awesome so there's that (fortunately it'll generate Elite Commander XP - I hope).

Lots going on in this game. I just want to play and play and play.

[PVE]
Members
5,618 posts
18,209 battles

Jester I got my first 19 point captain by grinding the heck out of Dynamo when it first came out. It does not take as long as you think if you have two ships you can use. Make sure to buy some premium time to max out your earnings and use your signal flags. Use them every match, don't skimp. Once you get him to 19, keep grinding until the event ends because he will be earning Elite XP and you can assign it to your Pan Asian captain (or whomever). I played Dynamo hundreds of times when it was first out and earned millions of xp. It got old, I used lots of signals, but in the end it was worth it. I ended up with two 19 point captains and a 18 pointer. Once you have your first 19 point captain, you will be surprised how quickly you start getting more. If you can get a 5 star win each time in Dynamo, farm that scenario until you hate your life..... It really is worth it. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
796 posts
8,274 battles

Don't be afraid to use the new DDs. I've had Gallant since it was released and have never been any good with it. Jervis is a totally diff animal. I'm having the normal new ship issues as I get used to her but she does her part when I do mine, and she does it well. 

You'll never know how they work for you till you take them out.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 2:28 PM, Ares1967 said:

Don't be afraid to use the new DDs.

I'm not afraid to, per se, but I'm invested in this line on a historical-interest and sentimental level. I've taken the Acasta and Icarus out a few times in co-op and I don't hate what I see, but I'd rather take it from the beginning and work my way up to really get a feel for the line (and so that the devs' work on T1-4 isn't wasted, as @Lord_Zath has also pointed out).

Granted, if I got a Jervis or Lightning unlock and completing one of the T7/8 missions was the difference between getting the Cossack vs having to buy a couple more guineas I would probably use them, but I'll cross that bridge when and if I come to it. So far I've got all four in-game guineas plus the 10-guinea bonus deal from the premium shop through the website, and I await the next lot of missions with interest. Hopefully they don't ramp up to impossibly hard levels.

I ended up using the Scharnhorst last night, of all things; I haven't taken her out much since I bought her, and because T7 is a good tier (MM favourable, gains potentially high, costs still relatively low) I figured why not? Still not quite comfy in the KGV and there were doubts about exactly when the missions became unavailable, so I figured it was do-or-die and use the best tool I had. 

No plan survives first contact with the enemy, LOL. Scharnhorst in the Royal Navy event did the trick :Smile_teethhappy: and got me the fourth in-game Guinea with a really good battle to wind up the night.