You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Bankrupted by my own productivity!

63 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles

The last week or thereabouts has been excellent in terms of gameplay productivity. I've finished the Jianwei grind, I've finished the New Orleans grind, and I am within a game or two of finishing off the Konigsberg. (ETA: I forgot to mention that I also recently got the Helena.)

Of course the price for all this is that of acquiring the next ship up. Fushun was alright because I got her in the discount period. Baltimore only came after, and I'm sort of wishing now that I had cheated and free-XP'd the final stretch because I only had a couple hundred K silver when I was done. 

And now, with still less than half a million silver in hand and the end of the Konigsberg grind in sight, I'm in a position where I'm probably going to delay researching and buying the Nurnberg. I really don't want to sell the Konigsberg to get the money, because I live for those games I have in her where I am top tier on a map like Solomon Islands.

I'm made poor by my own success and loving it! (And the Baltimore is a hoot - two games in and I love her already.)

ETA 5 October: see my related post on the true cost of a tech-tree ship.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles

Nurnberg is worth it.  Use it a bunch in Ops.  Seems to do well in Killer Whale and N.S. Newport.  Good place to grind some credits and XP.  It is fragile.  But the AP is good.  Only thing I don't like about it is it leads to the Yorck, a ship I've not enjoyed nearly as much.  

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles
4 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Nurnberg is worth it.  Use it a bunch in Ops.  Seems to do well in Killer Whale and N.S. Newport.  Good place to grind some credits and XP.  It is fragile.  But the AP is good.  Only thing I don't like about it is it leads to the Yorck, a ship I've not enjoyed nearly as much.  

Oh well. At least earning silver is one of the mission goals for these directives, so I will accumulate enough in due course.

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
878 posts
7,275 battles

I remember when I was grinding up lines like no tomorrow, kept on running out of silver. Then I got the Missouri. It really is nice having a federal mint in port.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles
6 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

I remember when I was grinding up lines like no tomorrow, kept on running out of silver. Then I got the Missouri. It really is nice having a federal mint in port.

This is good for you. However, it's a federal mint that a lot of people don't have access to and probably never will.

I really need to play my mid-tier RN premiums some more, as they are neat credit earners, but I've been so close to the end of several grinds recently (especially with that 200% period) that I just wanted to knuckle down and get them over with. First game last night, even with the normal bonus, was an all-flags-loaded victory in the New Orleans that finished off the ship, and because I'd already won the Freedom camo for the Baltimore it was a natural to grab her right away.

Oh, I forgot. I also got the Helena recently. That also didn't help the finances. But now I also have the Remembrance Night permacamo for her, which is good, and I have had the Cleveland since before the split so there are no associated costs with getting the next ship once I have ground the Helena out and no rush to do so (except to get the better hull and fire control).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
4 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Don't know what it is about the Mo Money, but I've never gelled with that one.  I do better average damage with Mutsu.

Maybe I should start spamming it in Arms Race and try to learn to use it.  

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,681 posts
18,265 battles
26 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Honestly the only tier 7 cruiser I enjoyed and kept was Fiji. She is a real hoot. The others were not horrible, just nothing interesting about them I suppose. 

21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh well. At least earning silver is one of the mission goals for these directives, so I will accumulate enough in due course.

The way I kept up my bank balance during the grind was to use all my low tier premiums to grind a first win bonus and get some cash. It had the added benefit of boosting my captain xp. I always played the premium ships in coop so I did not need signals or premium consumables. It is a slow way to earn silver but it works. Just another tidbit, I would use whatever captain I was grinding in the ship. Didn't matter if it was a carrier captain, would plop him in the Albany or Katori and blast away at bots. I find that player skill is far more important in co-op than the captain skills at those tiers. It takes around 5 minutes to play and I average about 50k credits banked. 

[KAPPA]
Members
235 posts
4,409 battles
24 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Don't know what it is about the Mo Money, but I've never gelled with that one.  I do better average damage with Mutsu.

...Ohh my god, I hadn't considered that. I kinda hate taking her into random, but Mo might be awesome in that mode!

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
14 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Honestly the only tier 7 cruiser I enjoyed and kept was Fiji. She is a real hoot. The others were not horrible, just nothing interesting about them I suppose. 

I also like the Shchors a bit.  Not as much as the Buddy at T6, and nowhere near as much as the Fiji.  But it's okay.  The rest at T7 are just kind of 'meh'.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,195 posts
18,949 battles

And then I wish you could give a guildmate some of your credits.

Most operations are a good in printing credits, since you can do a lot of damage.

Some of the T7/8 premiums have a good credit multiplier while being low on maintaince costs.

Below T7 the earning isn't bad but nothing compared to the higher tiers.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles
8 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Below T7 the earning isn't bad but nothing compared to the higher tiers.

The flip side is that the COSTS are low, and even if you lose you can still turn a decent profit. That's not so easy to do at higher tiers.

[VW]
Members
1,950 posts
12,499 battles
51 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Arms race only tier 10.

[VW]
Members
1,950 posts
12,499 battles
30 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

...Ohh my god, I hadn't considered that. I kinda hate taking her into random, but Mo might be awesome in that mode!

Only tier 10 in arms race

Edited by monpetitloup

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Arms race only tier 10.

9 and 10.  Unless the Buffalo and Mo Money have been moved to T10.  Played it a few times in the Buffalo, and saw a few Mo Money's in there as well.  

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-079-royal-navy/#arms-race

New Arms Race Type of Battle

Get your Tier IX and X ready for battle in the new Arms Race test mode, which has its own unique mechanics. To take part in the Arms Race, change the battle type and select a Tier IX or X ship.

[VW]
Members
1,950 posts
12,499 battles
1 minute ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

9 and 10.  Unless the Buffalo and Mo Money have been moved to T10.  Played it a few times in the Buffalo, and saw a few Mo Money's in there as well.  

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-079-royal-navy/#arms-race

New Arms Race Type of Battle

Get your Tier IX and X ready for battle in the new Arms Race test mode, which has its own unique mechanics. To take part in the Arms Race, change the battle type and select a Tier IX or X ship.

Wierd, i selected it and only saw my tier 10 ships, but now that you mention it that makes sense because i sold all the tier 9 after unlocking the 10! :Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
Members
5,681 posts
18,265 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The flip side is that the COSTS are low, and even if you lose you can still turn a decent profit. That's not so easy to do at higher tiers.

This is correct and was kind of my point that I didn't make because I am stupid.. You make less in low tier, BUT the costs are so low you actually bank the same amount of credits as high tier ships (least in co-op). In an average game with a standard tier 8 ship, I will bank 40-50k. That is after costs. That is the same amount I bank with a tier 2 or 3. Worse yet, if I have a bad game with a tier 8, I will lose credits. Course on a really good game I can bank 100-200k in a tier 8 match but have to do really well and blap lots of tier 10 ships. 

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
Just now, monpetitloup said:

Wierd, i selected it and only saw my tier 10 ships, but now that you mention it that makes sense because i sold all the tier 9 after unlocking the 10! :Smile_teethhappy:

In one of the streams WG did, one of "the twins" mentioned this.  And one of the reasons was to get some of the 9's and 10's into their own mode to ease the hammering the T8's get in MM.  

Now if only some of the DD's would go cap some of the buffs early in the game...………….  In the four games I played, only once did we have a DD that capped one of the early buffs.  Most of the time they hid in the back behind the BB's.

[SIDE]
Members
1,262 posts
8,886 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

The Yorck was recently buffed. I have yet to try it, so I cannot say if it was a meaningful buff as regards gameplay, but you might want to give it another go.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,452 posts
4,302 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

This is correct and was kind of my point that I didn't make because I am stupid.. You make less in low tier, BUT the costs are so low you actually bank the same amount of credits as high tier ships (least in co-op). In an average game with a standard tier 8 ship, I will bank 40-50k. That is after costs. That is the same amount I bank with a tier 2 or 3. Worse yet, if I have a bad game with a tier 8, I will lose credits. Course on a really good game I can bank 100-200k in a tier 8 match but have to do really well and blap lots of tier 10 ships. 

The other side of that coin is that the earn-X-credits missions take your gross earnings before costs, giving you the best of both worlds. So if you want to accomplish permanent-campaign missions, you can do double duty there.

[VW]
Members
1,950 posts
12,499 battles
3 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

In one of the streams WG did, one of "the twins" mentioned this.  And one of the reasons was to get some of the 9's and 10's into their own mode to ease the hammering the T8's get in MM.  

Now if only some of the DD's would go cap some of the buffs early in the game...………….  In the four games I played, only once did we have a DD that capped one of the early buffs.  Most of the time they hid in the back behind the BB's.

I dont see the point because you cant win achievements, however the repair costs are the same are they not? Not to mention it doesn’t count towards missions or brit dd stuff

Edited by monpetitloup

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah. T9 is a money pit for anything other than the Mo Money.  It is one of the many things I hate about the Buffalo.  I don't want to buy a perma-camo for it because as soon as I can I want to sell it.  I really do hate that thing.  

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
3 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

The Yorck was recently buffed. I have yet to try it, so I cannot say if it was a meaningful buff as regards gameplay, but you might want to give it another go.

I did.  Only one game.  The buff helps, but it's not a game changing buff.  Still don't like playing it as much as I do the Nurnberg.  

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
6 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I dont see the point because you cant win achievements, however the repair costs are the same are they not? Not to mention it doesn’t count towards missions or brit dd stuff

Many of the Brit DD missions list Arms Race as a completion mode.  And it's not like I'm going to win any achievements in the Buffalo anyway.  Did I mention I hate that thing?

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

[VW]
Members
1,950 posts
12,499 battles
2 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Yeah. T9 is a money pit for anything other than the Mo Money.  It is one of the many things I hate about the Buffalo.  I don't want to buy a perma-camo for it because as soon as I can I want to sell it.  I really do hate that thing.  

The advantage is with ranked on you can mount military awareness flag plus cost reduction rank flag for extra bonuses if you finished halsey campaign.

[VW]
Members
1,950 posts
12,499 battles
1 minute ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Many of the Brit DD missions list Arms Race as a completion mode.  

But arent xp rewards less than random mode? I checked for unique upgrqdes, arms race is not listed.