You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dc2mitchell

Armed Forces players Acknowledgement

73 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
7 posts
2,084 battles

I have played WoT, WoWs, and WoWP over the years.   Do you think there should be any accolades or possible flags for people that have served for their country so that when in battle, you can honestly tell if their name is for show or if they just type a name that might possibly give them undue respect?

My problem is ... I run into names like reconmarine, ArmyRanger, AdmiralDukakis, and I often wonder if these people are legit US Armed Forces or just playing off the genre of the game itself.    

Wouldn't it be nice that the real active duty members and veterans that play the game get due representation when you see them in game?

Anyone have ideas on how Wargaming, which is basing the whole game off of historical representation, can accommodate our military veterans to distinguish someone with a name and a player that actually served in the military?   

How many times have you seen a military name in which you thought, "Hey, thank you for serving our great nation!" , to then wonder if someone is taking a compliment for something they never contributed to?

I don't think veterans should get a super duper "Your dispersion rate is 50% inefficient against me, camo", but maybe a special asterick in the name... to denote that this guy is a legit veteran.

Email a copy of a DD214 to wargaming to show that this account is actually a true US Military veteran in order to get the special "whatever", so that other players know, "Hey, this guy served our country".

What do you all think?

Edit:   My profile picture has me in it when I served.    I'm the ugly one.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,799 posts
7,039 battles

This is the internet, I confess, I am not a cat (nor cuddly). 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
55 posts
2,275 battles

Answer is a quick no.

Not everyone in the game is American, so would you include other nationalities?

Secondly, data protection. Would you trust an external company with info on serving military personnel?

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles

As a navy vet I can honestly say I dont really need any recognition for my service in a video game. For that matter, I dont really need any recognition in RL, either. I did what had to be done, end of story. 

Whats more, Im really not keen on sending my DD214 to anybody in Belarus, Russia, Greater Mongolia, or anywhere else unless required by the government for official business.

• Cool 17
  • Funny 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,571 posts
3,751 battles

While not what you suggest, there are quite a few clans that have a preference in veteran members of Armed Forces, so veterans can band together, talk and enjoy the game.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
213 posts
4,360 battles
14 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

This is the internet, I confess, I am not a cat (nor cuddly). 

And I am not a shoggoth, a pinup or a battleship... snail... thing.

I am actually a lolibote! The horrible truth comes free... I'm sorry!

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
7 posts
2,084 battles
1 hour ago, mulafasi said:

Answer is a quick no.

Not everyone in the game is American, so would you include other nationalities?

Secondly, data protection. Would you trust an external company with info on serving military personnel?

No, not everyone is American.   I honestly thought this was the NA forums, I may be mistaken but it is also why I stated "Armed Forces".   You can be from any nationality on the NA server to be eligible.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
563 posts
3,640 battles
1 hour ago, BBsquid said:

As a navy vet I can honestly say I dont really need any recognition for my service in a video game. For that matter, I dont really need any recognition in RL, either. I did what had to be done, end of story. 

Whats more, Im really not keen on sending my DD214 to anybody in Belarus, Russia, Greater Mongolia, or anywhere else unless required by the government for official business.

This exactly.  Thanks for your service swabbie!  And for posting my exact thoughts.  I'm not very good at this grammar and punctuation nonsense as I served in the Corps.  They remove your frontal lobe on the first day of recruit training.  I appreciate having a Navy guy to help be my brain again. ;)

CS

p.s. - My dog does all my typing because I'm no good at that either.  :)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

Beta Testers
7 posts
2,084 battles

This wasn't at all my intention, "recognition", but for those seeking to claim something in which they are not and distinguishing the difference in someone that actually is a military veteran and someone that may claim to be.

I do believe there is a Wargaming HQ in America and I do believe you are able to look up anyone's service record just by asking for it through the proper channels via internet.

I mean, I haven't served in over 20 years, but I'm pretty sure DC2 is kinda familiar to you being a Navy vet and I don't see anything wrong with giving those that want to be "recognized" of having served on a military game that they enjoy playing so that others might be inclined to chat them up.

This was just an idea that I was considering due to curiosity.  I welcome your input. 

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,287 battles

I lol'ed at the DD214 line... 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
21 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

This exactly.  Thanks for your service swabbie!  And for posting my exact thoughts.  I'm not very good at this grammar and punctuation nonsense as I served in the Corps.  They remove your frontal lobe on the first day of recruit training.  I appreciate having a Navy guy to help be my brain again. ;)

CS

p.s. - My dog does all my typing because I'm no good at that either.  :)

Lol no worries, Devil Dog. I got your six. Semper Fi!

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

Not so much here but in other gaming forums I've noticed that most everyone who claims to have served in the military was Army Special Forces, Marine Recon, or a Navy SEAL. Who'd have thunk that special op's military would be so into video games. 

• Funny 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
23 minutes ago, Dc2mitchell said:

This wasn't at all my intention, "recognition", but for those seeking to claim something in which they are not and distinguishing the difference in someone that actually is a military veteran and someone that may claim to be.

I do believe there is a Wargaming HQ in America and I do believe you are able to look up anyone's service record just by asking for it through the proper channels via internet.

I mean, I haven't served in over 20 years, but I'm pretty sure DC2 is kinda familiar to you being a Navy vet and I don't see anything wrong with giving those that want to be "recognized" of having served on a military game that they enjoy playing so that others might be inclined to chat them up.

This was just an idea that I was considering due to curiosity.  I welcome your input. 

To clarify, if my post seemed snarky; that was not the intent. 

Way back in the day, WG offered the military appreciation pennant that (I think) was -10% to ship repair costs. Only offered once.

Whether WG has a NA office or not, still not keen on coughing up a DD214 and the data on it to a game company, foreign or domestic. 

For those vets that want that recognition or camaraderie, as previously stated on this thread, there are several clans that are vet only, or cater to vets.

I have always gotten by with just word of mouth, and may talk about my service to any that ask. If there is any doubt, as you said, it's not hard to look people up. 

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
2 hours ago, BBsquid said:

Whats more, Im really not keen on sending my DD214 to anybody in Belarus...

The last time I got my driver's licence renewed they asked for six different forms of ID (I'm not kidding, look up "Real ID"). I wasn't even sure that I had six different types of ID so just gave them everything I had. My new driver's license came back with a big red "VETERAN" stamped on the front.

• Cool 1

Members
309 posts
42 minutes ago, Dc2mitchell said:

Who cares if someone is pretending to be a vet. Quit idolizing them.

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Not so much here but in other gaming forums I've noticed that most everyone who claims to have served in the military was Army Special Forces, Marine Recon, or a Navy SEAL. Who'd have thunk that special op's military would be so into video games. 

Fortunately I have yet to meet that crowd. All the vets I have interacted with this far are lowly swabbies like me, grunts, PoGs, rotor heads, throttle jocks, REMFs (intel weenies mainly) or dirt darts.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles
1 minute ago, intixw said:

Who cares if someone is pretending to be a vet. Quit idolizing them.

Vets are useful if your kitty has the sniffles.

• Funny 3

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,880 battles

Only in America where a person who claims "vet" status to receive "benefits" from a gaming company. You dont see this in Canada, Mexico or any other part of the world but in America. I guess exploiting your "vet" status is cool now ?

If I were you cherish your service, you should never exploit it for commercial gains. It just don't look good.

• Cool 1

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,671 battles
23 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

Fortunately I have yet to meet that crowd. All the vets I have interacted with this far are lowly swabbies like me, grunts, PoGs, rotor heads, throttle jocks, REMFs (intel weenies mainly) or dirt darts.

+1 I got a chuckle at all the all the handles.

Some of which i have not heard in years lol 

<<old SeaBee 

and on topic , i don't need recognition in game or outside of game .

But thanks for the nod .

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
163 posts
3,521 battles
3 hours ago, BBsquid said:

Most actual Vets do not crave the attention. As said above, we did what we did.

• Cool 6

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,146 battles
3 hours ago, BBsquid said:

This. 

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,146 battles
2 minutes ago, Darksaint1071 said:

Most actual Vets do not crave the attention. As said above, we did what we did.

And this.

• Cool 1

Members
1,788 posts
5,663 battles

You are making several big mistakes.

1 This has nothing to do with historical representation.

2  This is Fantasy and Arcade. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,399 battles

maybe with CV rework we will finally get our TOPGUNS.

[H_]
Members
794 posts
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

The last time I got my driver's licence renewed they asked for six different forms of ID (I'm not kidding, look up "Real ID"). I wasn't even sure that I had six different types of ID so just gave them everything I had. My new driver's license came back with a big red "VETERAN" stamped on the front.

Me too !  It was absurd what they wanted !!!    And, I'm not sure I completely understand if they do that because the police want to know before the approach the car whom is inside or if it is "just being nice...."  Police officer friends of mine have said it is a movement to "protect non-veteran" officers by knowing whom they are trying to communicate with........vets have some interesting behaviors and communication skills that require a lot of police departments to take "Green Zone" training courses so as to avoid cultural incompetence issues and misunderstandings...  Google that.  Many University's conduct Green Zone training several times a semester to help the non-veteran staff understand a culture they have no idea about and to avoid serious misunderstandings....   The LGTBQA has a "safe zone " module as well.......  Cultural competence starts with knowledge!