Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

No armor is the new citadel protection

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,158 posts
3,146 battles

I was playing some Arms Race in my Yamato, saw a Seattle about 13km away, mostly broadside but just angled enough to arm my fuses... or so I thought. Took more salvoes than I'm willing to admit (at least 4) and they were all overpens. The guy was a very good player statistically and of course he had to make fun of me afterwards which I found amusing. It reminded me that even the worst things in this game can be good... occasionally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,629 battles

No armour means HE-hell and you take full HE damage with every salvo, which can be anywhere between 6000-10,000+ hp. You're in a Yamato, you know what happens when people focus fire you with HE spam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,336 posts
6,609 battles

You should play Roma. That is true hell as you overpen basically anything that‘s not a Battleship (or you bounce, because lol 381mm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,871
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles
42 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

You should play Roma. That is true hell as you overpen basically anything that‘s not a Battleship (or you bounce, because lol 381mm)

Roma is funny, it's the only BB where I willingly skip Cruisers as targets unless it's too dangerous to do so.  I shoot exclusively at BBs with her LOL

 

Not to mention her dispersion can be wayyyy off for Cruiser / Destroyer sized targets.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
482
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,166 posts
3,665 battles
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Roma is funny, it's the only BB where I willingly skip Cruisers as targets unless it's too dangerous to do so.  I shoot exclusively at BBs with her LOL

 

Not to mention her dispersion can be wayyyy off for Cruiser / Destroyer sized targets.

What dispersion curve does Roma reside on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,336 posts
6,609 battles
2 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

What dispersion curve does Roma reside on?

German, and additionally one of the worst vertical dispersion patterns in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,418 posts
12 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I was playing some Arms Race in my Yamato, saw a Seattle about 13km away, mostly broadside but just angled enough to arm my fuses... or so I thought. Took more salvoes than I'm willing to admit (at least 4) and they were all overpens. The guy was a very good player statistically and of course he had to make fun of me afterwards which I found amusing. It reminded me that even the worst things in this game can be good... occasionally. 

Aim below the waterline..like a couple of pixels under. You will citadel every time even at ~25 degree angled. The water will slow down the shell and still pluck the citadel for its full damage. No overpens in most cases. It is up to RNG however how hi/lo your shell hits the aimpoint.

I've obliterated cruisers in Yamato that were basically bow-on towards me with a ~15 degree angle to a side just by aiming a pixel under their waterline. :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,871
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles
10 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

German, and additionally one of the worst vertical dispersion patterns in the game.

Yes, pretty unreliable.  Only good for shooting at BB targets where their size lessens the dispersion issue, and their armor is how Roma gets her Penetration / Citadel damage.

 

One of the worst situation for Roma is a DD popping up doing a torpedo run.  It's the worst disrespect a DD can do to a BB player to show themselves doing so because they have zero respect for your firepower.  The scary part for Roma is her Secondaries are so bad and guns so inaccurate, the DD can realistically get away with it almost unscathed.

 

I like my Roma, I've happily gotten into brawls, even knife fights with other BBs / Brawling BBs and won.  But Cruisers and Destroyers are a whole different problem for her.  With Germans my Secondaries can dissuade DDs from total disrespectful torpedo charges.  Other BBs will have enough accuracy to punish a Cruiser.  Not Roma!  She can barely hit Cruiser or smaller targets!  And even if she does hit a Cruiser, the super high velocity shells will almost always Overpen.

"Well Haze, it sounds like Roma users need to use HE more!"

That'd be fine if Roma didn't have the worst HE shells for a BB in Tier VIII.  Only Bismarck / Tirpitz have lower HE damage values, but nobody comes close to the low Fire Chance of Roma.

10 hours ago, sulghunter331 said:

The one good thing about the USN's AP shell velocity.

Very much so.  Not only with the dispersion pattern, but IMO, the way the shells arc up and down, they catch into the base superstructure real good for reliable Penetration damage when the target is angled.  Warspite's floaty shells do the same thing.

 

For Cruisers this is very bad, even for the ones with waterline citadels.  Even Hindenburg's protection scheme, if smacked around by those floaty BB AP shells at range, will pay dearly.  Montana for example will crush her.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
244 posts
1,273 battles
1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

Aim below the waterline..like a couple of pixels under. You will citadel every time even at ~25 degree angled. The water will slow down the shell and still pluck the citadel for its full damage. No overpens in most cases. It is up to RNG however how hi/lo your shell hits the aimpoint.

I've obliterated cruisers in Yamato that were basically bow-on towards me with a ~15 degree angle to a side just by aiming a pixel under their waterline. :)

Yep. Same thing goes for the French Battleships with their apparent APFSDS ammo and presumably Roma as well. Let the water activate your fuzes and pop em in the boiler room.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,158 posts
3,146 battles
3 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

Aim below the waterline..like a couple of pixels under. You will citadel every time even at ~25 degree angled. The water will slow down the shell and still pluck the citadel for its full damage. No overpens in most cases. It is up to RNG however how hi/lo your shell hits the aimpoint.

 

I was doing this but kept getting horrible RNG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30
[TBOW]
Members
218 posts
1,979 battles

Haha I get it, and I experience it. My friend today pumped in a salvo of shells, I think 5 out of 6 hit overpens where the citadel was and we just got confused. Yes he was close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
345
[BNKR]
Members
716 posts
736 battles
2 hours ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Yep. Same thing goes for the French Battleships with their apparent APFSDS ammo and presumably Roma as well. Let the water activate your fuzes and pop em in the boiler room.

Huh. I learned a thing today. Thanks for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
752
[POD]
Beta Testers
3,008 posts
4,451 battles
15 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

What dispersion curve does Roma reside on?

have you seen a curve ball?it's almost like that but a little more dizzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,418 posts
On 9/23/2018 at 6:22 PM, CarbonButtprint said:

I was doing this but kept getting horrible RNG. 

yamato dispersion (horizontal) was nerfed when musashi came out. You need the legendary upgrade to get it back to what it was. Its night and day. Until then, you're just playing a musashi with slightly better sigma and better secondaries but you will still whiff and miss citadels like crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23
[ADOPT]
Members
76 posts
2,369 battles

I was in a battle this weekend, arms race, where we won literally on RNG. 

We had 1 full health wooster left vs. a half hp gearing, half hp iowa.  The wooster killed the gearing then gets cit by the iowa down to 2k health.  As the wooster turned around to get its guns on the iowa, he gets hit again at 0.5km, but it must have been an overpen as the wooster was down to (no joke), 360hp.  The wooster then finished the iowa off to win us the match lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
305
[O7]
Members
534 posts
12,744 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, CarbonButtprint said:

I was playing some Arms Race in my Yamato, saw a Seattle about 13km away, mostly broadside but just angled enough to arm my fuses... or so I thought. Took more salvoes than I'm willing to admit (at least 4) and they were all overpens. The guy was a very good player statistically and of course he had to make fun of me afterwards which I found amusing. It reminded me that even the worst things in this game can be good... occasionally. 

This is a horrible trend.  In conjunction with ships lacking citadels (conq, republic) there is very little reason to play BB atm.  Especially with Wooster and Harugumo in the current meta.  So I decided to anchor all my BBs for now.  The best thing to do is just adapt with the meta instead of fighting it.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×