You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

How about tweaking the game via RNG

4 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Something for discussion if you're bored. 

1) Players who really enjoy the game really enjoy close, hard-fought, Adrenalin-filled battles where it comes down to seconds, or one single shot. Let us say you agree with this statement.

2) The rush from such a close, hard-fought game is pretty good, if you enjoy those type of matches. Let's say you do and agree with this thought too. 

3) If you surveyed the players and found those two thoughts to be true to the majority of players, would it not then make sense to adjust the teams, attempt to balance the match when it is formed, even while it is ongoing, as your game strives to artificially construct such a battle? Let's say you do agree. 

If you would agree with those three thoughts, then you might ask yourself why aren't they doing this. I've always felt one good means of doing it would be with the team and individual "RNG", or that "fudge factor" artificially built into the game to simulate uhm... chance. 

I think it quite possible players might actually not mind such tweaking if it were A) Not blatantly obvious and B) it produced a reasonable number of good matches. 

What do you think? Would you want it? 

I ask because tonight, after the umpteenth lopsided battle, a red player said, "Da** lopsided battles - they aren't any fun". tiafyc

[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,833 battles

I don't think that RNG should be screwed with.  However, I have no problem with some adjustments to MM.  After the two teams are formed, it'd be nice if MM could take a second look at the teams.  Determine each team's overall WR.  Then look at the individual ships (not any of the divs).  And if there are two  solo ships of the same tier where you could switch them between teams to cause difference between the two teams' overall WR's to be closer, then do it.  For example, team A has a higher overall WR than team B.  And team A has a tier 6 BB with a higher WR than one of team B's tier 6 BB.  Then flip them, and recalculate the overall team WRs for each team.  Maybe do this check and flip a few times, if possible.  Sometimes it won't be possible due to the nature of divisions on each team, but it's worth a try.  The ability of MM to balance the two teams in this model will be somewhat dependent on how  few divs that are per team.  The more divisions, the more difficult it will become.  But it seems worth a try.

[LOU1]
Members
3,088 posts
8,164 battles

Can you imagine the server load real time RNG tweaking would cause?  There are already a myriad of calculations being performed and transmitted back and forth right now.  And, we've seen more than once what happens when something goes awry.  While an intriguing topic of discussion, the actual application would add multiples of the current number of calculations to the data stream.

Members
829 posts
2,638 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Something for discussion if you're bored. 

1) Players who really enjoy the game really enjoy close, hard-fought, Adrenalin-filled battles

Love those matches. Have only had maybe 2 or 3 since I first started. Wows would be a HELL of a lot better if these matches were a lot more common.