You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

When di you finally feel like you were "getting it"?

18 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,894 battles

For most of my time here in the game, I have been a very average player (not for lack of trying).  I watch the videos from iChase et. al., I read the Wiki, I read this forum for each new ship that I'm in and then I play them in the game.

Something has happened over the last month.  I am becoming a much better player and I'm not sure why.  My win rate, average damage, average experience, and survival are all up.

Just to put things in context, I am currently a dd main player with USN T7-10 dds as my preferred method of damage with a T8 IJN, a T8 Pan Asian, and a very special Canadian dd in the barn.  I do play USN cruisers like the Atlanta because I need to know how to defeat the radar cruisers in a dd.  I do NOT enjoy driving BBs and I only have T5s.

I have about as many games in PVE as I do in PVP (I practice in PVE with each new ship).  Right now, it's about 1500+ each.

Something is very different over this last month.  No, I have not become a Unicom, but I am playing better.  I've attached my latest fight in my Benson. Yes, my team lost, but if you watch, I was able to anticipate where the red boats would be pretty well.  I don't think that the Kidd driver will forgive me anytime soon.

Was it all of the desperate fights with the radar ships with my Kagero, Fletcher and Gearing that made me better?  Does it just take a certain number of battles before we as players get to that point where we become good?

What was your moment where you realized that you could play this game well?

20180922_203145_PASD008-Benson-1945_42_Neighbors.wowsreplay

[-S-R-]
Members
325 posts
7,291 battles

About 2500 games in and when I got towards the end of the Emerald.  That’s when it really clicked for me.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

I wouldn't say I'm a great player, but I think it's safe to say that I'm going to be an asset to the team in most games I play (I still manage to go full potato on occasion). I'd say it's this summer I've started to feel that I'm at least competent. This Ranked Season, taking out my Montana. It's been up and down, but most games I've been doing 100K damage, farming High Calibers. We don't win every game, but I feel that most of the time I did everything I could. I've also decided to regrind up the new USN cruiser lines. Took out the Omaha to get Dallas. After a couple games of breaking her in, I got comfortable, and then the rest of the games were 60-100K damage, even on a loss. Realized that I was a good player, and it showed against the lower tiers.

I also find that I can read the mini-map pretty well. I can usually predict what's going to happen, and where I might be most useful. Usually the execution of this doesn't go smoothly, but I have found myself recently seeing how the reds are going to move. Usually I'm right, whether I can do anything about it is a different matter. Still, at least I'm ahead of the CV captains who send their ship to the opposite flank from the one the team is pushing.

Members
4,549 posts
6,463 battles

Well personally I have got it, lost it, got it, lost it, got it, lost it etc. blah blah.  I have put up unicorn numbers at times for several weeks then "lost it" and reverted back to average and this has happened more than once.  Finicky game.   I hope you really have "gotten it"! If you have congrats. 

Edited by dmckay

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,472 battles

I felt I was getting it when I started blind firing ships in smoke :cap_rambo:

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,880 battles

I don;t think you really truly "get it" when you play WOWS for a long time. IMO, its a continual learning that is never ending, in where you stop learning when you stop playing.

Each boat you command its a learning curve to master. That is the ultimate achievement in WOWS. Mastering every ship in the game. That is a never ending learning experiance

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
95 posts
6,352 battles

I’ve been playing and usually enjoying this game since November 2015. I still suck. Occasionally I’ll have an above-average game and start to think that maybe I’m one of the big boys. The next game I’m completely humiliated. If I haven’t gotten it by now after nearly three years it seems a forlorn hope to think that I will ever get it. 

Beta Testers
1,327 posts
3,591 battles

I noticed that I got better when I played the ships that I found to be the most fun like the German Battleships and IJN Battleships and cruisers. In fact, I just rebought Fuso and Gens and stuck the premium camo on both of them. 

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,442 battles
44 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I don;t think you really truly "get it" when you play WOWS for a long time. IMO, its a continual learning that is never ending, in where you stop learning when you stop playing.

Each boat you command its a learning curve to master. That is the ultimate achievement in WOWS. Mastering every ship in the game. That is a never ending learning experiance

Playing several different ships and types keeps me from completely getting it. Howver having run many of the lines and deciding which ships I really play well allows me to further my depth of knowledge on how to play, what to expect, and how to predict the red teams moves. For me the Gearing and YY are that/those ships. Even then I see a BB puttering a way all alone and think doesn't she need some torps and completely lose focus on what I need to do.

Once you find the ships that fit your playstyle you will start to get it.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Some quality time in the Phoenix which lead to picking up the Molotov.  Playing the Molotov finally helped me put some things together.

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,880 battles
19 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

Once you find the ships that fit your playstyle you will start to get it.

^^^^ I disagree with that since the OP did not state get it the game or the ship. In a micro sense maybe you understand the capabilities of the ship. The Macro is more broad, but the principles are still the same as you mentioned.

I would argue that if you concentrate your efforts to the ships more suited for your play style, then in a Macro POV you're limiting yourself instead of excelling in the game itself. Yeah you can be good in the ship in the matches in where it fits your play style like a glove.

But I would argue it doesn't make you as good then the one that is diverse/versatile in learning every ships situation capabilities. But hey its IMO as to who is good in certain ships. and who is the GOAT regardless what ship is presented. 

Beta Testers
3,371 posts
2,402 battles

When I got to the Nagato.

I realized I had gotten it.  I knew how to play BBs.  
It's just that Low tier BBs just wont cooperate; you never knew if you did your aiming correctly or angling because the game at those tiers makes BBs atrociously inaccurate and the games where/are full of HE slinging cruisers and overpowered DDs.
So yeah, it felt really good to come to the realization that... you know... I didn't suck.

In number of games?  I dunno... 350? (including Beta testing phase).  Early WoWS youtubers really helped me thru the essentials as well.

[NNA]
Members
192 posts
5,661 battles

I've been playing since 2016. Played for about 2-3 months had a horrible win rate along with a horrible survival rate, got bored with the game and took about a six month break. It wasn't until I came back and really started watching videos, learning about the ships and watching how others handled certain situations during the battle, that I began how understand the ins and outs of this game. I'm not a great player. Heck, I wouldn't even consider myself a good player, but I realized that my game play had significantly improved when I was not only surviving battles, but racking up good scores too. I still have off days, make boneheaded moves, and sometimes pull a Notser when I'm around islands. But I'm much more confident with the ships I'm playing and generally enjoy the outcome of most of the battles I'm in.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Very quickly got to about 51-52% about the time I got my Cleveland (first tier 6), then somewhat quickly made it up to high 54% where I stopped and now I'm at around 54.3% IIRC. I have been stuck there. I need to division more or play lower tiers if i want to improve that. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles

I remember at launch, the general feeling was at about 1k PVP matches things should start clicking and coming together.  I was past that :Smile_teethhappy:  It was around 1500 when things were starting to come together, and even then it was a slow slog to get to 50%.

I didn't watch videos, I didn't follow anyone on Youtube, nor did I specifically looked for guides, nor did I ask for help.  It was a lot of trial and error and browsing on the forums for tidbits of information, seeing people talk about different builds for the same ship and different styles of play, etc.  Eventually I was branching out trying different ship lines, ship types.  Tried Cruisers, then BBs, then DDs, even CVs for a little bit.  The DD part of the game I felt was crucial because if forced me to learn mechanics that may not have been as strongly enforced as sailing around on a Battleship.  It was also eye-opening to see what it was like from the DD perspective when you were trying to stalk someone for torpedo attack.

Reaching a certain tier did not mean I got better.  The best proof of that is my Yamato stats, she was my first Tier X ship.  I played tons of battles with her making all the stupid mistakes you could possibly make in that ship.  It was only much, MUCH later after a lot of experience in Tier X, Tier X Battleships did I get better with her.  By the time I got better with Yamato however, I had done so many matches that it's going to take way too much work to dig her stats out of the gutter.

OPncfcM.jpg

That Yamato WR% of mine used to be a lot worse :Smile_Default:  I know what to do with her now and I love her, but it's too late to save that WR%.  I got better with Yamato, and when I got Montana, she benefited immediately from that experience.  When German BBs came out, I FreeXP'd to get her on Day 1 or Day 2, and she immediately clicked because of my better play first with Yamato and then Montana.  When Conqueror came out, same thing.  Republique had been good so far thanks to the experience.

I also remember when my highest tiered ship was Tier V Omaha, that I went and bought Tier VIII Atago and Tier VII Atlanta.  I did so badly in them.  My Atago stats still suffer the same way Yamato did, but I never went back to "fix" my stats after I got better.  My Atlanta stats used to be H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.  But she was one of the first ships were I got good with, but again, it was too late.  I had done MANY terrible games with Atlanta.  Only after getting better and doing tons of matches were I able to salvage my Atlanta stats to at least look average.  It got to the point where Atlanta became the reason why I got my first High Point USN Captains.  I played her so much that even though I haven't used her a lot in a long time, she still is my most played ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway