Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madman7

Smoke is pretty much useless

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,287 battles

Wont even complain about radar....

If you smoke up you pretty much can expect to be torped...  

Enemy players can easily see your shots and shoot into smoke...  have been deleted more than once by BBs in mino. 

Good for breaking contact ... but I see no real reason to use it otherwise. Oh, and the majority of teammates that I ask if they want smoke say no. 

Members
652 posts
7,494 battles

I usually use smoke and then leave it to bait their radars or torpedoes to an empty smoke... :cap_haloween:
Edit: added an emoticon :p

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi
  • Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
806 posts
6,586 battles

Offensive use of smoke is now a "use at your own peril" game mechanic.  There are just too many players around who know how to defeat smoke firing.  The best use of smoke may be just breaking contact with the enemy when you get into trouble.  There are still some good players that know how to use smoke offensively and can pull it off, but not many.  

[HSD]
Members
294 posts
9,563 battles

It's a second line tool, use it when you are in the second line, not the front line.

The front line spots torps early, or ships that stray forward trying to torp the smoke, it also by virtue of distance allows the torps to spread more creating larger gaps. It's also much harder for radar unless they overextend, in which case they will probably die.

Also ship posture in smoke is important, angled away with stern to enemy fleet is good for zipping out if torps are inbound. Same with smoking near land to provide escape routes or safe havens.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,038 posts
3,564 battles

Smoke is best used to break contact with the enemy, and nothing else. If you sit in smoke, it's your fault if you get torpedoed.

It can still be used offensively, I've done so with the Harugumo. But when you do use it offensively, fire a couple of salvos, then leave, unless you know that there are no ships in the area that has torpedoes or hydro, or radar.

Members
3,806 posts
14,122 battles
1 hour ago, Madman7 said:

Enemy players can easily see your shots and shoot into smoke...  have been deleted more than once by BBs in mino. 

Good for breaking contact ... but I see no real reason to use it otherwise. Oh, and the majority of teammates that I ask if they want smoke say no. 

That's pretty much all I use smoke for anymore. I've torpedoed other botes that were camping in a smoke cloud several times and it's happened to me enough times to cure me of that habit.

'Sides, just think of what that secondhand smoke is doing to you! :cap_haloween:

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,477 battles

Smoke is an escape tool. It's not an offensive tool in any stretch.

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,287 battles
4 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Smoke is an escape tool. It's not an offensive tool in any stretch.

It use to be..... back in the day. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,100 posts
17,770 battles
1 hour ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

It's a second line tool, use it when you are in the second line, not the front line.

The front line spots torps early, or ships that stray forward trying to torp the smoke, it also by virtue of distance allows the torps to spread more creating larger gaps. It's also much harder for radar unless they overextend, in which case they will probably die.

Also ship posture in smoke is important, angled away with stern to enemy fleet is good for zipping out if torps are inbound. Same with smoking near land to provide escape routes or safe havens.

Also, certain ships have both smoke and the gun range to use smoke offensively outside of the effective torp range (RN CL's, the Harugumo, etc.).  But you have to know where the enemy DDs are, particularly the ones with longer ranged torps (say, 12+ km), if you want to sit in smoke and fire from that kind of moderate range.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

Since smoke is considered useless now, can I get smoke generator for my Des Moines and Worcester?  Atlanta also?

• Cool 1

[HSD]
Members
294 posts
9,563 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Since smoke is considered useless now, can I get smoke generator for my Des Moines and Worcester?  Atlanta also?

Only if you give up your torpedoes! Especially since fair and balanced Belfast did! /s

:cap_yes:

Beta Testers
1,330 posts
3,591 battles
2 hours ago, Madman7 said:

It has been this way since smoke detection mechanics changed and every ship got a smoke detection range while in smoke. It is only fun in the lower tiers now.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,539 posts
2,148 battles
14 minutes ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

Only if you give up your torpedoes! Especially since fair and balanced Belfast did! /s

:cap_yes:

A Wooster with smoke would make the Belfast look downright balanced...can you imagine? Radar, hydro, heal, and that ludicrous ROF all in a smokescreen...

As for giving the Atlanta one, we already have that, it's called the Flint and it's about as balanced as the Belfast.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,735 posts
8,298 battles

Well if you smoke in an open area like B on Ocean, you'll be doomed anyway.

But smoke isn't useless, it's especially fun when you bait ennemi BB into shooting you then stop and smoke up to daka daka. Special mention when those BB start saying DD are OP. 

[USFF]
Members
77 posts
4,986 battles

Yeah, smoke as a viable consumable is becoming less relevant overall. Smoke dependent ships such as RN CLs and to a small extent the RN DDs will continue to see diminishing returns. I think a point may come when they need to look at smoke again.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

The main thing with using smoke offensively is not to be too d*mn close, especially if you're a smoke using Cruiser, and the gun-smoke concealment nerf a while back.

As long as you are far enough from where the enemy DDs are operating, you are fine.  A Minotaur sneaks into a cap at the start of the match and smokes at the edge is absolutely begging to get hammered.  The Kutuzov standing off at 15km camping in smoke, moving around a bit while in there, is perfectly safe.  If you are stationary in your smoke, which is what a lot of people still do, you're begging to get hammered.  Some guys get pretty good placing shots for stationary smoke campers.

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles

It's not that bad. Radar has a limited range of about 9-10k. If you stay out of that number, the effect of radar is pretty much nullified. 

Sign in to follow this