You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aggressor97

Paper Ships in the game

61 comments in this topic

[LLAMA]
Members
16 posts
1,123 battles

There are some here who like to complain about the so called paper ships, ships that were designed but never built, these people believe all paper ships should be removed from the game. Using tier X as an example, let me illustrate why this is a bad idea.

currently there are 21 tier X ships from 7 nations, which is quite the selection. With that many available to chose from, your bound to find one you like. However if you get rid of the paper ships, suddenly it becomes 7 ships from 3 nations. Those nations being U.S.A, Japan, and P.A. I have a feeling that many players would resent being stuck to just 3 nations if they want to play tier X. Not to mention the BB mains who’d only have 1 BB to chose from.

Edited by Aggressor97
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles

Some of the paper ships were serious design studies or blueprints drafted but never built; others were nowhere near as far along the road to even getting detailed blueprints. I have reservations about some ships in the second group, but the first of these I have no problems with at all.

• Cool 1

[ICE9]
Members
844 posts

I don't have a problem with it at all. Since we already have some of the IJN "8-8" ships, I'd like to see the RN 1921 G-3 and N-3 designs as well as the 1920's Lexington CB and South Dakota BB shoe-horned into the trees somewhere.

• Cool 1

[LLAMA]
Members
16 posts
1,123 battles

I figured a majority of players didn’t really care about if the ships were actually built. This was more in response to someone who wanted them all gone. I just wanted to put the math out there, about why it wouldn’t be a good idea to remove them.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,247 posts
12,800 battles
26 minutes ago, Aggressor97 said:

currently there are 21 tier X ships from 7 nations, which is quite the selection. With that many available to chose from, your bound to find one you like. However if you get rid of the paper ships, suddenly it becomes 7 ships from 3 nations. Those nations being U.S.A, Japan, and P.A. I have a feeling that many players would resent being stuck to just 3 nations if they want to play tier X. Not to mention the BB mains who’d only have 1 BB to chose from?. 

The Dutch can offer a tier 10 DD. Ofcourse, it'd have to be nerfed a bit to keep it from being too OP ...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,004 posts
4,451 battles

some blueprints were seriously created,others were made with the toilet paper of the janitor's room.

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,438 battles

There is a huge difference between a paper ship and one that is entirely a work of fiction by WG.  Think Khabarovsk, never existed in paper or otherwise.  Either way doesn't matter to me, more ships are always a good thing.

[MUDD]
Members
87 posts
1,009 battles

I would like to see a feature allowing us to choose a hull equip it and build our own ship of any tier! Say a Yamato hull with all Atlanta main guns and Shimakazie torps and 40 knot speed

• Funny 1
  • Angry 1

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
637 posts
8,063 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Some of the paper ships were serious design studies or blueprints drafted but never built; others were nowhere near as far along the road to even getting detailed blueprints. I have reservations about some ships in the second group, but the first of these I have no problems with at all.

You know, it's a game, it's not perfectly accurate of each ship!  I like the paper ships and I hope they turn up more, especially if they are cruisers!  So, in that spirit, let's get the USS Alaska CB's out on the waves for all to enjoy!

[LOU1]
Members
3,064 posts
8,155 battles

If you watch the Developer's Diaries or the new Paper Ship series, you will see that WOWS does not just make things up out of thin air.  They extrapolate what the ship design would be based on the then current design philosophies and techniques and collaborate with naval architects and historical societies.   The modeling is similar to what is used to test out designs in the modern ship building industry.  I find the fact-based "what if" to be fascinating.

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,711 posts
8,143 battles
2 hours ago, Aggressor97 said:

There are some here who like to complain about the so called paper ships, ships that were designed but never built, these people believe all paper ships should be removed from the game. Using tier X as an example, let me illustrate why this is a bad idea.

currently there are 21 tier X ships from 7 nations, which is quite the selection. With that many available to chose from, your bound to find one you like. However if you get rid of the paper ships, suddenly it becomes 7 ships from 3 nations. Those nations being U.S.A, Japan, and P.A. I have a feeling that many players would resent being stuck to just 3 nations if they want to play tier X. Not to mention the BB mains who’d only have 1 BB to chose from.

Yes, nobody wants to auto loose because they decided to sail a montana again. 

Members
329 posts
328 battles

Some of them as Montana were almost ready to be made, but others like Khaba are a nonsense, as a Capitani romani with much more armour than expected...

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles

And while we’re at it, for all the realist out there, let’s remove the all the space ship, eagle and shark camo,s. They weren’t “real”either. 

I think WG did a great job modeling all the ships, paper or otherwise. Good point Aggressor, who wants to play just 7 ships. 

Beta Testers
1,330 posts
3,591 battles

Just keep in mind that without them many lines would be lacking some ships in certain tiers. I would like to see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_B-65_cruiser

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_(1920)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosa-class_battleship

B-65 was a complete design study and was never built armed with 310mm 3x3. Looks like a mini-Yamato. A tier 9 or 10 potential IJN  Heavy Cruiser 

South Dakota class of 1920 represented the pinnacle of the Standard battleship design was 38.5% complete so not entirely paper. It was designed to carry Colorado 406mm guns in a 3x4 layout. A battleship that fits into tier 8 nicely go any higher and it is not competitive without some consumables or stat buff. 

Tosa Class was built to be an improved Nagato class with a 410 5x2 layout 60-70% complete It is very similar to Amagi class with a shorter length of the ship overall. The best way to think of it take Kaga’s bottom half which was supposed to be a Tosa class and take Ashitaka’s top half and merge them together. Potential Tier 8 premium ship unless IJN BB split happens.

• Cool 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles

Why is T10 important though? 
You're sailing ships with no history here. I find it hard to bond with ships that never stood the test of reality. If the ship never had to be tested and operated in ideal circumstances all the time, seem like it'll give REAL ships a disadvantage who had to face compromises of reality. 

Beta Testers
1,330 posts
3,591 battles
1 minute ago, LancasterOne said:

Why is T10 important though? 
You're sailing ships with no history here. I find it hard to bond with ships that never stood the test of reality. If the ship never had to be tested and operated in ideal circumstances all the time, seem like it'll give REAL ships a disadvantage who had to face compromises of reality. 

It was a tried and true model with world of tanks so they brought it over to World of Warships. At least the grind is faster to tier 10 compared to world of tank’s grind. In short to make more monies off of potential ships that could have existed if world war 2 or Korea had gone on longer. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into 3 fake Russian battleship tier 10’s that didn’t exist in any blueprints. World of tanks has tons of “paper Russian tanks.” The game is moving towards submarines for instance as they can model them faster and creating ships from paper takes many months of work. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,192 posts
18,932 battles

Japan, France and Germany hadn't much to offer for higher tiers if it weren't for the paper ships.

While some are complete made up (I look at you Zao), some were actually laid down (Z-52).

The quality of the paper ships improved over time.

Members
756 posts
13 battles
30 minutes ago, Aggressor97 said:

One thing that kinda amused me, was how almost all of the American tier Xs were built and used in real life.

>All the American tier x were built and used in real life

>Montana

>"built and used in real life"

Edited by RyuuohD_NA
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,714 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, Amenhir said:

There is a huge difference between a paper ship and one that is entirely a work of fiction by WG.  Think Khabarovsk, never existed in paper or otherwise.  Either way doesn't matter to me, more ships are always a good thing.

The Khaba existed on paper and doesn't fall under the category of "designed by War Gaming", although it is of the more flimsy variety. 

Edited by yashma

Modder
341 posts
14 battles
On 22. 9. 2018 at 10:40 PM, Aggressor97 said:

There are some here who like to complain about the so called paper ships, ships that were designed but never built, these people believe all paper ships should be removed from the game.

Really? Or arent they rather complaining about WG's sometimes very loose interpretation of these designs...I thought it has to be pretty obvious for anyone, who knows more than just Arizona and Bismarck, that you simply can not make this game without paper ships.

Edited by puxflacet

Modder
341 posts
14 battles
On 22. 9. 2018 at 11:45 PM, Amenhir said:

Im not an expert on russian navy but based on WoWs wiki, Khabarovsk is real design

The only ship however that I'm aware of which was completelly made-up by WG is actually Grosser Kurfürst. Fair to say, that it was actually somewhat frankensteined from other designs. But as a whole it never existed.

Also french BBs Normandie and Lyon were prolonged to reach the high speeds they have in the game, while IRL even after engine refits they wouldnt be able to make more than 25 knots. The questionable thing WG did, was that they prolonged them in the middle, while the original designs were much shorter. This means that these designs basically doesnt exist in WoWs universe, because you cant refit a warship by adding a chunk of hull in the middle.

Edited by puxflacet

[VW]
Members
1,947 posts
12,499 battles

Once you establish that naval combat was meant to be conducted bow on and that any ship presenting all of its guns should be immediately destroyed, i dont see how paper design ships could be troubling: the game is already centered in imagination.

• Cool 1

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
On 09/22/2018 at 6:21 PM, Captmuddxx_2018 said:

I would like to see a feature allowing us to choose a hull equip it and build our own ship of any tier! Say a Yamato hull with all Atlanta main guns and Shimakazie torps and 40 knot speed

Sure, id take Alabama hull, Arizona guns, and Alabama AAA with Massachusetts secondaries.  Ill take the stock engine of the NC, cuz 25 knts is still workable.

• Cool 1

Members
611 posts
4,893 battles
3 hours ago, Aggressor97 said:

One thing that kinda amused me, was how almost all of the American tier Xs were built and used in real life.

3 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

>All the American tier x were built and used in real life

>Montana

>"built and used in real life"

You must have missed where he said almost.:Smile_sceptic:

I like the paper ships. It allows WG to complete lines as well as allows us to play with some of the “what if’s?” Of naval design in this time period. 

Edited by Forgottensoldier117
  • Cool 1