You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Astrosaint

Defect in 7.9 for Macintosh users

16 comments in this topic

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles

To all Macintosh players of World of Warships:

Since the release of 7.4, there has been a tendency for the game the crash in the first 2 matches you play.  The game slows down and finally stops working within 30 seconds of the start of the match.  Sometimes the computer locks up and a hard reboot is required to restart the computer and get the game running.

The problem seems to clear up after 1-2 crashes.  It seems it takes the Mac hardware those crashes to "adjust" to running the WOWS software.  The problem only periodically surfaced in versions prior to 7.8.  Now it is regular enough that Mac players should follow the following precautions while playing WOWS:

1.  For the first 1-2 matches, DO NOT PLAY a ship higher than Tier 3.  Do not add any flags or camo to those ships.  Play ONLY CO-OP so that you will not throw a ranked, scenario, or other type of higher end match.  The game will most likely shut down those 1-2 matches you play and you will likely get pinked for going AFK.

2.  After the 2 matches, the game and computer stabilizes so you do not have additional crashes.  You can do normal play after that at least up to Tier 7-8.  If the player shuts down WOWS and tries to play it again at a later time, the defect appears again and you have to play the first 2 co-op matches again to allow the program to settle down to a more normal state.

3. As a precaution, play at Tier 5 or less until Code Weavers of Minnesota, USA can update the Mac Wrapper.  They are already probably doing this for the submarines and the new class of CV gaming.  These defect may induced a faster modification.  Tier 5 ad below uses slower ships, smaller maps, and fewer resources like radar and sonar thus making the program less demanding on the Mac.  

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles
20 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

You might have to buy a computer. 

Let see now:  My machine NEW cost $512 with educator discount.  I do other more important jobs besides gaming with it.  Game players spend that much just on a NEW, mid level, VIDEO CARD.  I will get a new Mac when funds provide but I found my purchase to be a very wise one.  Worse case, I will stop gaming.

Astrosaint

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles
1 minute ago, Astrosaint said:

Let see now:  My machine NEW cost $512 with educator discount.  I do other more important jobs besides gaming with it.  Game players spend that much just on a NEW, mid level, VIDEO CARD.  I will get a new Mac when funds provide but I found my purchase to be a very wise one.  Worse case, I will stop gaming.

Astrosaint

I honestly don't care; it was tongue in cheek. But good for you on the NEW $512 (with educator discount) Mac.

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles
35 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Mac user here and no abnormal issues.

The problems do not seem consistent. Some Macs (those emulating PC) get off with few problems as best as I can tell.  Those using the Wrapper trade stability for memory and other resources. Some Macs with Wrapper run fine.

Astrosaint

[WPP]
Members
515 posts
5,421 battles
1 hour ago, Astrosaint said:

The problems do not seem consistent. Some Macs (those emulating PC) get off with few problems as best as I can tell.  Those using the Wrapper trade stability for memory and other resources. Some Macs with Wrapper run fine.

Astrosaint

Never used Bootcamp or Parallels or whatever it is.  My iMac is 6 years old, cant run WoT anymore, but doesn’t really have any issues with Ships unless WiFi in general is crap.  I’m not sure even where to start, sorry.

[STW-M]
Members
2,050 posts
5,861 battles

For me, my game tends to crash every 4-5 matches, usually because of some "bigworld exception" error.

It sometimes locks up the computer, but that was with an older model. I haven't experienced any computer crashes with the newest one.

As for the WIFI, it's fine for the most part (a few fluctuations here and there, nothing too serious), but my college WIFI has an unfortunate tendency to automatically disconnect every few hours, meaning sometimes I can die because the WIFI died while I am executing a torpedo rush.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,411 posts
7,420 battles

I’ve got a 2017-model 15” MacBook Pro and haven’t been able to play on it since ... probably 6-point-something? Last October or so, at any rate.

... fortunately my PC workstation runs it just fine.

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles

The age of the Mac does not seem to be the issue.  I am using a 2014 vintage mac mini with Yosemite.  I too have an occasional crash every 6-10 games but so do PC users.  I do use a satellite link since broadband is not available in all parts of the US.  Satellite is not a responsive as broadband.

WG passes the Mac issues to Code Weavers in Minnesota.  they are the unsung heroes of Macworld Gaming.  None of us would be playing without them.

Astrosaint

Edited by Astrosaint
Typos

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles

Well, after 3 crashes in a row, I can pretty much declare WOWS as not very usable for Macintosh computer users.  Update 7.9 is not compatible with Mac Wrapper.  I will just have to wait until Code Weavers bring in Mac Wrapper Version 22 and try again.  The game crashes about 4 seconds after the match begins.

I miss the Version 5 Series. It was rock solid and I could fire the cannons using the left mouse button rather than the wheel button.  The newer patches seem to require even PC players to do full reinstalls.

Astrosaint signing off for now.

Beta Testers
1,836 posts
10,762 battles
6 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

You might have to buy a computer. 

"What's a computer?"

[_H2O_]
Members
137 posts
6,203 battles

Just before I shut down for the night, I should point out that crashes during matches leave you pinked for a number of games.  You are treated as AFK due to pulling out of a match.  Too many pinks can lead to account suspension.  WG has created a mess.  Your account is suspended because their program crashes.  This did not happen with Update 7.8.  I hope that the pinks are erased from my record when and if the problem is fixed.

Astrosaint Signing out.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,411 posts
7,420 battles
49 minutes ago, Astrosaint said:

Just before I shut down for the night, I should point out that crashes during matches leave you pinked for a number of games.  You are treated as AFK due to pulling out of a match.  Too many pinks can lead to account suspension.  WG has created a mess.  Your account is suspended because their program crashes.  This did not happen with Update 7.8.  I hope that the pinks are erased from my record when and if the problem is fixed.

Astrosaint Signing out.

Yeah, see, here’s the thing about your complaint here: it’s wrong.

when you get dumped because of a system fault, you don’t turn pink. You log back in and a notification pops up that says “disciplinary penalty lifted.”

And yes, this happens even on Mac.