Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nergy

Fixation

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
162 posts
9,906 battles

What is this fixation on "We need to cap. We need to cap. We need to cap." They are so bend on that "game winning" cap that they rather lose their ship and match then not to go for the "game winning" cap. Don't they realize that capping doesn't work or help unless you beat the other team first? Of course once you've beaten them you don't need to cap anymore.

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles
8 minutes ago, Nergy said:

What is this fixation on "We need to cap. We need to cap. We need to cap." They are so bend on that "game winning" cap that they rather lose their ship and match then not to go for the "game winning" cap. Don't they realize that capping doesn't work or help unless you beat the other team first? Of course once you've beaten them you don't need to cap anymore.

Capping, on Domination mode, gives you points every few seconds putting you that much closer to the 1000 points you need to win. So you can win via cap points, even though you have not defeated the other team.

[BLHK]
Members
336 posts
3,430 battles
6 minutes ago, Nergy said:

Agreed. I would much rather you be still around and have the potential to spot, even if that means temporally  giving up the cap. But then the peer pressure tells. Someone is constantly saying push for the cap etc, it starts to become a habit to try and do it for players, especially the DD drivers.

[BLHK]
Members
336 posts
3,430 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

Capping, on Domination mode, gives you points every few seconds putting you that much closer to the 1000 points you need to win. So you can win via cap points, even though you have not defeated the other team.

But it is a question of balance, if you lose 2/3 of your fleet to get the caps, you have no hope of holding them long enough to win the game.

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles
2 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Agreed. I would much rather you be still around and have the potential to spot, even if that means temporally  giving up the cap. But then the peer pressure tells. Someone is constantly saying push for the cap etc, it starts to become a habit to try and do it for players, especially the DD drivers.

1 minute ago, MG1962 said:

But it is a question of balance, if you lose 2/3 of your fleet to get the caps, you have no hope of holding them long enough to win the game.

True, don't throw away ships trying to cap, but don't ignore caps either.

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles

Like most things, there's a balance. Of course you want to Sink Their Battleship™, but capping can also put enormous pressure on them, forcing them into mistakes and giving you further opportunities to win. I won't throw away my bote for a cap, but if I can secure one without much fuss, I'll take it off their hands.

Members
18,219 posts
5,202 battles
19 minutes ago, Nergy said:

I dunno, not that I advocate suicidal capping, but having 2 out of 3 caps puts pressure on the enemy. (of course, how long that pressure needs to be on individual players to force them to react will vary)

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles

Because if you don't control at least the majority of the caps, battles like this happen:

cL2pyNx.jpg

We lost this, because our team didn't control the caps.

Controlling caps allows you to control the center of the map and puts ever increasing pressure on the enemy team.

• Cool 1

Members
154 posts
6,510 battles

Depends on the game situation.  Point total, time left, correlation of forces, many variables determine whether or not you need caps.

Having said that, I've lost too many games because the other team controlled more caps and constantly racked up points as a result.  So unless you're sinking their ships so fast that it doesn't matter if they control all the caps or not, then at some point you're going to have to start taking caps.

I don't expect DDs (any ship type for that matter) to go rushing in and get themselves killed.  I almost exclusively play cruisers and I feel my primary job is to support my DDs when the approach camps and to kill any DDs in the vicinity. 

The problem that I have is so many people that sail around or near caps that never make any attempt to take them while the enemy team is racking up points.

• Cool 1

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
849 posts
4,798 battles

I've scene this behavior on standard maps. Idiots that think they can win by sitting in the enemy's cap while the enemy has a spotter and even one ship behind an island to reset. They'll rage at you if you leave the cap to fight the resetters and try to blame you for their loss. DDs can do it if they have smoke to hide in but most cruisers and BBs can't do this but that's who you see just sitting in the cap slowly being whittled down by a couple of ships firing from cover.

Members
3,469 posts
6,165 battles

Teams have thrown entire games, well up in points, control the majority of the caps, and they get so blind on killing - they toss the game away.  Something I always had to remind teams in Ranked.  Also had to remind them that all we need are 2 caps and hold them.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,102 posts
6,742 battles

Most people don't have the strategic understanding to know the different win condition situations and all the nuances of getting them right at the right time.

People know kills and caps contribute to wins but until there is a deeper understanding of how that happens in a game, people error on focusing on either:

• Try to kill all enemies, regardless of whether it's worth the risk
  • Try to get caps, regardless of whether it's worth the risk

Basically, players are generally bad at understanding the risk (whether possible or likely) associated with either of those goals and how actions towards them will work out.

A classic example here is the destroyer who sails into a cap, stops, and smokes -- in a game with 5 unspotted radars. That action is towards a good goal but generally the risk is not worth the reward until there is a more clear vision into enemy deployment, etc.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,431 battles

I think the OP is talking about early game fixation with capping. I play dd a lot and I get a ton of get that cap dd 2 min into the game. Why don’t I scout around and get a feel for where the red ships are? Do I have support? I love cruisers that have my back. Losing two caps early is no big deal if your team is working the red ships. You can cap them as you dwindle their numbers down. Well losing 3 caps is pretty hard to kill them fast but ouch but two caps is ok early. Or you can rally the troops and stop the cap. I find it’s more effective to let a cap go early and live on to fight. I bet 2/3 time the team that has the early cap advantage overextended and lose too many ships. Then the other team takes the caps. 

If you can get caps early and force the other team to play from behind. Great. It’s not the end to not cap early.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,329 posts
13,061 battles
20 hours ago, Nergy said:

This is how WG sets up the game with objectives and a clock to force engagement of the enemy fleet. Otherwise, each team would hide all day and snipe - nobody wants that.

Most games/sports have a clock with objectives - caps are there to penalize static play and reward active play

Tic Toc :)

Edited by Commander_367

Sign in to follow this