Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

RN tier 5 and 6 DDs

14 comments in this topic

Members
1,457 posts
12,302 battles

Have played a few rounds with the new tier 5 and 6 DDs for the RN line, and I am very unimpressed - quick smoke, terrible range on hydro, poor guns, awful arcs on torps and lousy range (especially when tiered up).  I have played all the DD lines, and these are just the worst, I would play every other line 5 and 6s vs these turds.  Will have to see in the future about 7 though 10, but kinda disappointed right now

• Cool 1

[L-S-D]
Members
43 posts
22,763 battles

did you install the upgrade module's?

they come as stock with all modules researched but not installed

Edited by Saint06
  • Cool 1

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,204 battles

I'm not much of a DD captain, but I did well on the first mission with the Icarus.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 2.32.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 2.32.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 2.32.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 2.32.43 PM.png

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
52 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Have played a few rounds with the new tier 5 and 6 DDs for the RN line, and I am very unimpressed - quick smoke, terrible range on hydro, poor guns, awful arcs on torps and lousy range (especially when tiered up).  I have played all the DD lines, and these are just the worst, I would play every other line 5 and 6s vs these turds.  Will have to see in the future about 7 though 10, but kinda disappointed right now

6km torps on a tier 5 isn't that big a deal for a tier 5 DD that's not even a pure torp boat DD.  And the hydro on RN DDs is supposed to be strictly defensive in nature, not offensive like German hydro can be.  The smoke does have a short duration, but it's long enough for escapes and to get a  few shots in.

At tier 6, the upgraded torp range is 7 km.  Not great, but functional, if you have a CE trained captain.  Also, those torps do 15.7k damage and have a detectability range of a very respectable 1.2 km.  They are completely usable torps, if a little bit short legged.

As for the guns, yeah, they don't seem like much, but this is just tier 5 and 6, so I don't expect much.  And they both have a 8% base fire chance, which is entirely respectable.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,798 posts
10,299 battles

Acasta is, in my opinion, indefensibly garbage. I've not played Icarus, but she looks like a ship with some bad trade-offs to Gallant, which is already a far from overpowered ship.

Life begins at 30, RN DD's start at T7 seems to be the thought.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,769 battles
16 minutes ago, Crucis said:

6km torps on a tier 5 isn't that big a deal for a tier 5 DD that's not even a pure torp boat DD.  And the hydro on RN DDs is supposed to be strictly defensive in nature, not offensive like German hydro can be.  The smoke does have a short duration, but it's long enough for escapes and to get a  few shots in.

At tier 6, the upgraded torp range is 7 km.  Not great, but functional, if you have a CE trained captain.  Also, those torps do 15.7k damage and have a detectability range of a very respectable 1.2 km.  They are completely usable torps, if a little bit short legged.

As for the guns, yeah, they don't seem like much, but this is just tier 5 and 6, so I don't expect much.  And they both have a 8% base fire chance, which is entirely respectable.

Defensive hydro with crappy smoke is literally the dumbest gimmick in the game. Just saying.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
2 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Defensive hydro with crappy smoke is literally the dumbest gimmick in the game. Just saying.

You're probably right, IronMike.  Clearly, they're trying to create a unique identify for the RN DDs.  Personally, I think that they try too hard on these national identity nonsense.  I don't mind the lack of speed boost, when combined with the built in great acceleration and holding speed very well in turns.

As for the crappy hydro, with the unified hydro change that supposedly upcoming, maybe RN DD hydro will get better.

As for the smoke, it's only crappy for offensive smoke shooting.  When used for an escape maneuver, it's more than sufficient.  And the fact that you get more of them means you can escape from trouble more often.

Honestly, I'm willing to be patient and see what the higher tier RN DDs are like, because I never expect all that much from lower tier DDs.

[WOLF9]
Members
42 posts
3,565 battles

I have only the Acasta so far.  Took it out last night for the first time and earned a kracken and a victory.  I played as an aggressive supporter of my other DD’s much like I play cruisers.  So far I’ve had fun and I’m still intersted in pursuing the line.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
50 minutes ago, mofton said:

Acasta is, in my opinion, indefensibly garbage. I've not played Icarus, but she looks like a ship with some bad trade-offs to Gallant, which is already a far from overpowered ship.

Life begins at 30, RN DD's start at T7 seems to be the thought.

Read posts from other players who weren't all that impressed at tier 7 either; apparently these are tier 8+ ships designed for tier 10 matches, which is what everything else in this game is also coming to so WG can get more of your money.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
1 hour ago, Saint06 said:

Remember also to SELECT them.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts

I take the negatives with a grain of salt. When the German DD line was released it was much the same reaction, but as people got used to playing to their strengths perception changed. I expect the same will happen here.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,798 posts
10,299 battles
18 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Read posts from other players who weren't all that impressed at tier 7 either; apparently these are tier 8+ ships designed for tier 10 matches, which is what everything else in this game is also coming to so WG can get more of your money.

The T7's at least had mixed feedback, rather than the pretty miserable Acasta, and the worst I've seen on Jervis is 'not great' rather than 'garbage'.

3 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I take the negatives with a grain of salt. When the German DD line was released it was much the same reaction, but as people got used to playing to their strengths perception changed. I expect the same will happen here.

Well, the German line was buffed a couple of months after release by the proper removal of stealth firing rather than the ham fisted 'just add 10km to detection bloom for KM DD' mode they were slapped with.

The ships were generally buffed rather than nerfed after that, T-22 had a pretty considerable best-case concealment upgrade to 5.7km from originally ~6.4km or so. I believe Z-52 originally just had T10 hydro before getting the KM cruiser hydro with far better stats too.

Members
1,457 posts
12,302 battles
5 hours ago, Saint06 said:

Wish I could say that this was it, but no,  all upgrades installed and I am moving a 14 point captain with IFHE between them.  Again, maybe upper tiers are good, but not impressed with tiers 5 and 6 here.  

Sign in to follow this