You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Retnav54

Gerfalcon IRL Counterpart Identified

9 comments in this topic

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
8,086 battles

For those of us who are naval history buffs, and have been trying to identify which IRL submarines the Halloween Event subs are based on, I believe I've identified which one the Gerfalcon is based on.

It's a German Type XXVI. 4 of them were under construction at the end of the war. They were designed to use the Walther closed-cycle hydrogen peroxide propulsion system, to give a sustained submerged speed of 25 knots - which would explain why WG gave them a 31 knot speed in game. Looking at the design drawings on Google Images, the hull, conning tower, mast arrangement, and torpedo tube arrangement of the Type XXVI, all match the Gerfalcon. You can simply Google "German Type XXVI", and you can get all the images and an article giving a short synopsis of the class.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,733 posts
7,733 battles

On the reddit thread: 

They posted their identities of the subs as:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
8,086 battles

Hmmmm. He's saying the only way to spot a fully submerged sub will be by proximity spotting or hydro. But I'm wondering, if the captains skill RDF will work on subs, giving a bearing on them, so that a DD or cruiser could run down that bearing and eventually find them.

Members
59 posts
2,171 battles
56 minutes ago, Retnav54 said:

Hmmmm. He's saying the only way to spot a fully submerged sub will be by proximity spotting or hydro. But I'm wondering, if the captains skill RDF will work on subs, giving a bearing on them, so that a DD or cruiser could run down that bearing and eventually find them.

I don't see why not, might become a more popular skill.

[HDR]
Members
2 posts
2,575 battles

So I've played the new Halloween Operation in Public Test many times already, even got 3 stars once and have twice hit over 400k damage. At the moment, I have the Barracuda and the Zipper Sub (I think that was originally going to be named Krokha). Most players I have come across on the test server only have one submarine, the Barracuda. I don't even know how I unlocked the Zipper Sub. Also, does anyone know how to unlock the other three submarines?

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,733 posts
7,733 battles
1 hour ago, Rushbin730 said:

So I've played the new Halloween Operation in Public Test many times already, even got 3 stars once and have twice hit over 400k damage. At the moment, I have the Barracuda and the Zipper Sub (I think that was originally going to be named Krokha). Most players I have come across on the test server only have one submarine, the Barracuda. I don't even know how I unlocked the Zipper Sub. Also, does anyone know how to unlock the other three submarines?

I unlocked two subs, one by 5 staring the sub mission and one by 5 staring the Transylvania mission. The Zipper was from the second one and the I think it was the Seelow from the sub mission. Not sure were to get the other subs, it is also confusing how the missions rotate, I didnt understand that they changed at first as was trying to play the sub mission. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,715 posts
8,143 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 1:13 PM, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

On the reddit thread: 

They posted their identities of the subs as:

Deep water torpedoes shouldn't be able to hit surfaced submarines but periscope depth subs should be fare game.

In addition, to the submarines slow speed, a french speed boost consumable would remedy the problem.