You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Situation Report Saturday - The Arms Race

54 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,929 battles

599px-Admiral_Mitscher_and_Arliegh_Burke

*pictured - Admiral Marc Mitscher and Commodore Arleigh Burke on board USS Enterprise after a kamikaze attack on their flagship USS Bunker Hill in May 11,1945 near Okinawa*

Have you tried the new game mode "Arms Race" and what is your assessment?

In patch 0.7.9, a new PvP battle mode was introduced called "Arms Race".

The concept of opposing teams remains the same but there are some new objectives to play for: ship buffs.

The buffs provide noticeable advantages and boosters to your fleet's weaponry, survivability, and concealment.

Since this game mode is still undergoing sea trials, statistics will not be visible nor will achievements. Should the fleet find this new battle mode sea worthy and of value, it may become a permanent feature of the game.

What is your situation report on the "Arms Race"?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/arms-race/

"There never is a convenient place to fight a war when the other person starts it." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#sitrepsaturday

#armsrace

#anchorsaweigh

• Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,806 battles

I've been to busy trying to win back Rank Stars that keep disappearing when ever the potatoes show up on my team. 

Also if Arms Race battles don't count for Missions and Tasks than playing them doesn't make a lot of sense right now. 

#RankStarSystemSucks

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,104 posts
Just now, RedSeaBear said:

I've been to busy trying to win back Rank Stars that keep disappearing when ever the potatoes show up on my team. 

Also if Arms Race battles don't count for Missions and Tasks than playing them doesn't make a lot of sense right now. 

#RankStarSystemSucks

Yeah, the clock on all those legendary upgrades is ticking.

[PVE]
Members
9,678 posts
7,466 battles
1 minute ago, RedSeaBear said:

#RankStarSystemSucks

Arms Race counts for the RN Missions to complete the weekly Directives.

BwhPpnq.jpg

1 minute ago, Doombeagle said:

Yeah, the clock on all those legendary upgrades is ticking.

Nope, the Unique (Legendary) Upgrades will have the end date reset at the end of the year. Multiple Devs have said that the UU missions do not end at the end of the year, but had to be set that way due to limitations of the software.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,941 posts
7,518 battles

AR is, to me, utterly pointless. It doesn't count for campaigns, legendary mod grinds, or daily missions. If you're going to add modes, the surest way I know of to get folks to not play them is to make sure they don't count for what the players are working on.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles

I have tried the new battle mode.

2 principle observations :

Monday to Friday - most players adapt well to the new scenario, and quickly adopt sensible strategies (one dd per cap/buff zone for example)

Saturday and Sunday - the teamwork/organisation gets a bit crazy, players are slower to understand winning strategies, teams aremore easily confused with too many objectives.

personal appreciation : the new battle mode is lots of fun, gives players an extra degree/level of gameplay complexity to explore and master.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
9,678 posts
7,466 battles
7 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

AR is, to me, utterly pointless. It doesn't count for campaigns, legendary mod grinds, or daily missions. If you're going to add modes, the surest way I know of to get folks to not play them is to make sure they don't count for what the players are working on.

It is a live test mode right now and it does work for the RN Missions to complete Directives. See the screenshot in my post above.

• Cool 1

[SSN]
Members
239 posts
10,743 battles

I have tried Arms race, both on PTS and live.  It a mode i do not enjoy. I'd rather have map Ocean or battle mode Epicenter.  Fortunately Arms Race is a separate mode - whew.  I don't like Arms Race because the mode encourages selfish play. It is a free for all, don't support each other,. mine ... mine ...mine ... mode.  Players charge around trying to get the buffs, but not supporting each other in sinking the enemy.  having said that, it is probable I'm not playing it correctly.   I'll try new iterations as they are released. For the present, I'll pass on running this mode any more.  Happy Hunting to those who play AR..   

Despite all the above, Kudo's to WG for thinking outside the box and broadening the game offerings to the base.

Edited by Lancer240
editted text
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,941 posts
7,518 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

It is a live test mode right now and it does work for the RN Missions to complete Directives. See the screenshot in my post above.

ONE thing it works for, and, please note, it does NOT work for the primary things we do each day. I'm sorry, but if I have a choice between 3-4 things to work on, and ONE, I'm choosing the side which gets me where I want to go faster.

More, I didn't say anything about RN DD joy, I specifically listed what I, and many, have issues with. You totally ignored that, so, your reply is invalid.

[TBB]
Beta Testers
212 posts
2,510 battles

The mode is completely frustrating to play. It runs counter to everything that has been learned by keeping enemy at range and park and reverse tactics that even if bad habits, are like trying to break faith of a religion to the player base. If you even try to explain the concept and how you need be aggressive and secure the caps, you become the "idiot in chat". So, even though the one match out of 10 you luck into a team with a few players that understand it, it's not worth the frustration of the rest of the matches with so little reward. 

• Cool 1

[TBB]
Beta Testers
212 posts
2,510 battles
2 hours ago, Lancer240 said:

I have tried Arms race, both on PTS and live.  It a mode i do not enjoy. I'd rather have map Ocean or battle mode Epicenter.  Fortunately Arms Race is a separate mode - whew.  I don't like Arms Race because the mode encourages selfish play. It is a free for all, don't support each other,. mine ... mine ...mine ... mode.  Players charge around trying to get the buffs, but not supporting each other in sinking the enemy.  having said that, it is probable I'm not playing it correctly.   I'll try new iterations as they are released. For the present, I'll pass on running this mode any more.  Happy Hunting to those who play AR..   

Despite all the above, Kudo's to WG for thinking outside the box and broadening the game offerings to the base.

You are in fact not playing it right. Not trying to be offensive. Those buffs are not selfish, they buff anyone within 12k. They also ramp up QUICKLY! Sinking the enemy is secondary to getting a lead on buffs or you are screwed. You must push as teams towards and supporting the capping ships is PRIORITY, denying enemy caps is Secondary, and everything else is below those priorities. Yes, you still kill and shot the enemy as you go, but you MUST be aggressive towards the caps and should be sailing within 12k of the closest caps and trying to place yourself within 12k of multi caps if possible. If you are closest to a cap. YOU ARE a capper. If you are going around a cap or pass a cap, you are screwing your entire team, regardless of if you are engaged in combat. Chasing targets will only get you team killed as they scoop up buffs while you ignored yours. Health caps are by far most important. The mode is designed to be hyper aggressive. Recommend watching Nosters video he posted recently on it. Regardless. No one understands the mode, so if you are the one guy on the team that does, it does not make it any less frustrating because everyone thinks like this still because it runs opposite of everything we have learned up to now. 

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
1,414 posts
5 minutes ago, JohnPaul_Jones said:

You are in fact not playing it right. Not trying to be offensive. Those buffs are not selfish, they buff anyone within 12k. They also ramp up QUICKLY! Sinking the enemy is secondary to getting a lead on buffs or you are screwed. You must push as teams towards and supporting the capping ships is PRIORITY, denying enemy caps is Secondary, and everything else is below those priorities. Yes, you still kill and shot the enemy as you go, but you MUST be aggressive towards the caps and should be sailing within 12k of the closest caps and trying to place yourself within 12k of multi caps if possible. If you are closest to a cap. YOU ARE a capper. If you are going around a cap or pass a cap, you are screwing your entire team, regardless of if you are engaged in combat. Chasing targets will only get you team killed as they scoop up buffs while you ignored yours. Health caps are by far most important. The mode is designed to be hyper aggressive. Recommend watching Nosters video he posted recently on it. Regardless. No one understands the mode, so if you are the one guy on the team that does, it does not make it any less frustrating because everyone thinks like this still because it runs opposite of everything we have learned up to now. 

I agree. Many camper team were losses. The few hard charger teams I was on actually won. The buffs  stack a lot. Had a gearing I was chasing disappear at 5km!!

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,973 battles

Loving how Arms Race because of the nature of it and no stats being kept leads to all out aggressive brawling in battles. Much like how Space Battles were. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles

Funnest (<<<spellchecker don't think that's proper English but I say screw spellchecker) mode ever IMO...had a blast on PT w/it & the couple games I've played on regular server but as others have pointed out too many things going on that require other modes to get done in a timely manner...can't wait to finish them so I can just grind out a bunch of AR just for the fun of it.

(lol...left out the "n" in "things" & had to correct it myself because apparently thigs is totally cool w/spellchecker)

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles

Arms race is fantastic!  It’s exactly the shot in the arm high tier play needed.   It should completely replace random battles for Tiers 9 and 10.

It just needs to be adjusted so that you can grind all the missions and such with Arms Race the way you can with randoms.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,447 posts
11,755 battles

Watching all the CC videos on it, I thought I could play it easy peasy...

Wow, what a difficult game mode to grasp.

Flamu's latest video on how to play it has helped me to understand it better.

BUT, with the British event not counting for that mode, it is difficult to justify the mode.

And don't forget we are still in ranked season...

Timing probably a bit off.

Concept is great and well thought out. I would hate to see the battle mode removed.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
9,678 posts
7,466 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

BUT, with the British event not counting for that mode, it is difficult to justify the mode.

Concept is great and well thought out. I would hate to see the battle mode removed.

The RN event does count in Arms Race per the RN event rules.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Hopefully they’re just using this as a live server test to try and get broader exposure.

As I said, I’d love to see it come back and replace ALL tier 9 and 10 random battles.

• Cool 1

[WJDC]
Members
1,234 posts
7,559 battles
21 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

What is your situation report on the "Arms Race"?

I am too busy trying to get all the other missions completed and the legendary captain quests, and clan war practice ( which we lose bene's from) and life yeah.. that too, and Arms Race is excluded from the being valid for completing the plethora of other tasks that reward better...

you guys might be trying a bit too hard?  it feels like you are tossing stuff on the "hope it sticks wall" as quick as you can think it up....

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,804 posts
4,072 battles

So far I've only played it on a weekend.  And it appears that it's just a group of people sailing around aimlessly.  In four games I've seen one friendly DD go for one of the early buffs.  Rest of the DD's seem to want to hide behind the BB's.  So the game gets out of hand.  Once it does, it quickly snowballs into a ROFLstomp.  

Also, the symbols for the buffs aren't intuitively obvious.  Almost every time I played, people in chat were asking which symbols meant what.  I have no idea either TBH.  Make the symbols more clear or intuitive.  Shouldn't need a decoder ring to figure out which one you want to prioritize.  And given it's a new game mode, there isn't even a wiki entry for it.

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,447 posts
11,755 battles
10 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

The RN event does count in Arms Race per the RN event rules.

I said, BUT with the arms race not counting.....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,447 posts
11,755 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

Hopefully they’re just using this as a live server test to try and get broader exposure.

As I said, I’d love to see it come back and replace ALL tier 9 and 10 random battles.

Not all tier 9 and 10, but a definite alternative to randoms that is exciting.

[PVE]
Members
9,678 posts
7,466 battles
6 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I said, BUT with the arms race not counting.....

BwhPpnq.jpg

[H_]
Members
794 posts

Division mates have tried it and we'll not be playing there.....  It's just non-value added and a complete gimmick to appease the FPS crowd....  WG: we don't need any more gimmicks......

Sorry, Lad.........."missed: add one complete form and fire !"   If this was a FFE, you are going to run out of ammo before you achieve your purpose.  We have about a dozen "it's not worth doing" and a few that have now walked away from WoWs....

• Bad 1

[TASC]
Members
145 posts
5,832 battles

I played it on the test server and on the live server. 1- i enjoy it. I can see it helping with several things. like getting some of the T10s out of T8 games, and promoting staying in supporting range of team members. 2- lots of people have said they don't like it. they probably said the same for every new thing in the game. once they learn how this mode works they should be fine. 3- it isn't hard to play, let DDs cap the buffs, while you are inside 12K of them keeping rude strangers away and work to the center by the 10min mark when the main cap happens. BBs should sail to be in the middle of several buffs so they can support the DDs and get many buffs. CAs the same. 4- i would love to see this in the main game as any of these ways, A - seperate game mode like random and co-op. B- the buffs added to the other game modes of random and co-op. C- in the rotation of battles like standard, domination, and epicenter. D- a T9-T10 mode with a buffed rewards system.   

• Cool 2