You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ares1967

Epic level of Stupid...

26 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
795 posts
8,264 battles

You're forgiven if you thought this post will be a rant about a team. Its not.

This is about myself and my Div-mate, and our simultaneous sudden onset of Recto-Cranial Retention Syndrome, aka RCRS

Land of Fire, Teir 8. I'm in Hsienyang with @ClassicLib in Harekazi. It was an entertaining battle, fairly close ship wise, blah blah blah.

Late match, we have a low health KGV, ClassicLib barely hanging on to life in Hara, and I'm at nearly full Hp. Reds have a pair of Div'd Torpitz, one about half health, the other very healthy. Two caps each and we have a decent points lead, even losing the KGV we'll have a lead, and there is no way a pair of Torpitz' are gonna chase down and kill two T8 DDs...

I'm saying, "stay unspotted, I'll grab this cap and we just ride it out"  <~~~ I actually said that, I swear I did. Classic agrees, there is perfect agreement between us. we know what we should do... :Smile_glasses:

KGV dies, I'm getting the cap, both Torpitz start heading to the cap I'm in. Awesome, I can farm some damage. <~~ dumb idea #1. Classic has the same idea. <~~ Du.... you get the picture.

I manage to pull a Notser, running aground while setting up for a torp launch, pop smoke, get the launch off, and run aground again! Yes, really.

Even better, Classic manages to get spotted (yeah we know) and deleted, but does land a torp or two on one of the Torpitz'. My torps are gonna take that one out. But not before I get spotted at point blank range.

The 2nd Torpitz is one the opposite side of the small island I grounded on.

Multiple choice quiz time:

A) I can sit still and take a bit of a beating from the Torpitz Im about to kill. Im gonna take one even if I run. That will allow me to reverse, pop smoke again, and possibly vacate the area before the 2nd Torpitz can effectively engage me.

B) Make an extreme hard right toward the Torpitz who's about to die. This allows me to run like a rabbit from the 2nd Torpitz.

C) Run, take a beating from Torpitz 1 and Torpitz 2, in succession, and hope I can get unspotted.

If you think I picked C, you win a cookie.

I run, Torpitz 1 damages or sets me on fire, whatever, causing me to use my DCP. He dies.

Torpitz 2 gives me a good beating and sets me on fire with secondaries. Being on fire my Detection is worse, he inflicts just enough extra damage that I burn down.

Sudden Onset RCRC is real! Warn your friends about this deadly disease!

The Torpitz' played well, the one I killed topped 2k XP, his buddy wasn't far behind, GG for them, even had they lost. 

If anyone is interested, humiliating replay attached.  @Lord_Zath

20180922_000035_PZSD108-Hsien-Yang_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,804 posts
4,072 battles
9 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

sudden onset of Recto-Cranial Retention Syndrome, aka RCRS

I tend to have a chronic case of this myself.  Add in the Fatal Notser Syndrome (FNS) and it's a winning (for the red team) combination.  

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
21 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

sudden onset of Recto-Cranial Retention Syndrome, aka RCRS

I also have had this syndrome afflict me. Tier 6 Gaede. All I need to do is stop the enemy cap and the point spread becomes too much for them to recover and escape. I stop cap till i get detected and head between two islands to break detection. Instead I over steer and manage to beach myself in such a fashion that I can barely move forward or backwards... We only won because of a lucky detonation at the last moment. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

All I needed to do in my New Orleans last night was to skirt the island closely. Not only did I Notser; I went full Mr Bean Parking Dilemma.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,721 battles

And this is why you are an above average player. When you make mistakes, you don't hide your stats or blame other people or external factors. You take accountability and own it and learn from it.

This is what separates winners from losers.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles

this is the weekend, like every weekend, teams are unpredictable, and players do strange (often you'd argue, stupid) things. Think how much more exciting the game is, every battle a surprise! :Smile_glasses:

[INTEL]
Members
645 posts
7,559 battles

:Smile_hiding:

Yeah.  In the bag.  Right.

And it would have worked if the Tirpitz brothers would have played along and been the average weekend player or had made a mistake themselves.  As it is, they dodged one Harekaze torp spread + TRB and a second Harekaze torp spread.  They took a couple but not enough to slow them down. I was planning on staying unspotted but in the last minute, one of them launched a plane and caught me with my pants down.  kudos.  They were smarter than we were.

@Ares1967 and I both took awhile to calm down but it was the most exciting battle I've had in a week and I enjoyed it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,658 posts
7,466 battles

Islands need a serious nerf and WG never does anything about it! :Smile_teethhappy:

Great write up. Thank you for the laugh this morning @Ares1967:Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

It happens to even the very best and I am definitely not the best.

giphy.gif

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

Been there...done that.  It is a game after all...and the urge to engage is very powerful indeed.  It takes a LOT of patience to just do nothing and win when you can do SOMETHING and damage the enemy.  I will say that, in general, I do nothing.  But sometimes..even now...I can't resist the urge....just gotta take the shot.  Doesn't always result in a loss, but does make the win much more "exciting".  

Members
18,223 posts
5,204 battles

Was brawling a Colorado with secondary-specced Bayern. He's on all kinds of fire, and broadside. He's going right to left, I'm going left to right, angled enough to unmask the aft guns.

As I get closer, I put in more angle, aft guns are now masked, aiming to the left side of my ship. 

He hits an island, and starts backing up. I double cit him from about 3km out with the forward guns. He now has about 4k HP left.

All I have to do is swing right enough to unmask my already-loaded aft guns, and I can take him out before he can shoot back.

What do I do? Keep going straight past his bow. Now my aft guns are on the wrong side, and he has a perfect broadside shot with his forward guns. BOOM! 30k HP to 0.

To add insult to injury, as I slide beneath the waves, he burns down to 3-digit HP, pops DCP and a heal, and lives a few minutes longer....

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,826 battles
2 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

This is about myself and my Div-mate, and our simultaneous sudden onset of Recto-Cranial Retention Syndrome, aka RCRS

I lost my team a match in Leander that way once.  All I had to do for us to win was run and hold fire.  Of course, I didn't realize that until just after I fired.  In my defense the whole situation that resulted in my being in the position to run and win to the time I fired the shot I ought not have was about 5 seconds, but.....

Live and learn, right?

[ICE9]
Members
815 posts
2 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

@ClassicLib

I manage to pull a Notser, running aground while setting up for a torp launch, pop smoke, get the launch off, and run aground again! Yes, really.

When I play DD's I always have my 1st Division deck apes rig fenders fore and aft. The Notser is strong in me.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

The day I put down my Z-23 grind for a little bit was the day in which someone else spotted an incoming torp spread 6 km out, and I had my hydro on, and I still managed to snag a rock when the moment to vacate the area had arrived and ate them as a result.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
449 posts
1,962 battles

Oh man, I've had a few brainfarts not only in WoWs but WoT, WoWp and other games as well and when you get ganked you kinda just stop for a bit and think something along the lines of "Why the heck did I just do this? I really know better and yet I just picked the poorest choice available to me". We all have "our moments", I'm getting older so I can soon start to claim those 'senior moments' too which at that point may give some sort of real explanation as to why. lol. One just have to laugh at it though, nobody's fault but our own. Glad we can share some of these stories as well, even you know it's good to have it confirmed that 'it's not only you'. :Smile_great:

[-AGW-]
Members
665 posts
9,490 battles
2 hours ago, Sped_Gax said:

I also have had this syndrome afflict me. Tier 6 Gaede. All I need to do is stop the enemy cap and the point spread becomes too much for them to recover and escape. I stop cap till i get detected and head between two islands to break detection. Instead I over steer and manage to beach myself in such a fashion that I can barely move forward or backwards... We only won because of a lucky detonation at the last moment. 

This must have been a thing yesterday. Farragut in standard battle. Two BBs enter our cap, but I keep resetting them with long range shots while running. Of course I loose map focus and beach on the one single island in my way. :Smile_facepalm:

[DPG]
Members
895 posts
4,435 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Islands need a serious nerf and WG never does anything about it! :Smile_teethhappy:

Great write up. Thank you for the laugh this morning @Ares1967:Smile_honoring:

Wasn't there someone on these forums that suggested that they start having Islands do damage when you hit them?

Edited by Amenhir

[PVE]
Members
9,658 posts
7,466 battles
10 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Wasn't there someone on these forums that suggested that they start having Islands do damage when you hit them?

From what people have said, back in Alpha or Beta test, Islands caused flooding which meant it was real easy to sink yourself.  So they took out island damage.

But they should stop islands from moving into my way! :Smile_teethhappy:

[DPG]
Members
895 posts
4,435 battles
27 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

From what people have said, back in Alpha or Beta test, Islands caused flooding which meant it was real easy to sink yourself.  So they took out island damage.

Yeah, darn those pesky rock formations that spring out of nowhere.  Now if only I could take my propensity for hitting islands to allow me to master US CLs.

[PVE]
Members
9,658 posts
7,466 battles
Just now, Amenhir said:

Yeah, darn those pesky rock formations that spring out of nowhere.  Now if only I could take my propensity for hitting islands to allow me to master US CLs.

:Smile_teethhappy:

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts
37 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Sure did. Handling on many ships was wonky too. Hitting islands was even more common because of the wild moves you were always doing to dodge the torp soup.

An ironic aside, more often than not when I hit and island it’s because “collision avoidance” drove me directly into one rather than going thru the gap I was shooting for. Lol

Edited by thebigblue

[PVE]
Members
9,658 posts
7,466 battles
2 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Sure did. Handling on many ships was wonky too. Hitting islands was even more common because of the wild moves you were always doing to dodge the torp soup.

An ironic aside, more often than not when I hit and island it’s because “collision avoidance” drove me directly into one rather than going thru the gap I was shooting for. Lol

I keep the warning on, but turn off the auto avoid. Still, when I get focused on shooting and dodging, I don't always watch where I'm going. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles
4 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

Recto-Cranial Retention Syndrome

Good!  Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step toward repeating it. 

I should know; I am afflicted with chronic Notser Syndrome.  And yet, I still find uncharted islands with disturbing regularity ...

See you tonight?

[INTEL]
Members
795 posts
8,264 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

See you tonight?

Seriously man, you gotta stop stalking me. I already told you I'm not interested in a date! :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles

But.  But.  That moment we had in the semi-trailer park.  I thought it was something special !!!  <boo hoo hoo>  Get away from me, you cad!