You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
nagasakee

USS Massachusetts photos and new info

16 comments in this topic

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,008 battles

Yesterday I took my long-awaited, and often postponed trip to the USS Massachusetts (BB-59) in Battleship Cove, Fall River Massachusetts. Also there was the USS Joseph P Kennedy, (DD-850) a missile destroyer with a helicopter pad, 5'-38's, 2x3 torpedo launchers (Mark 6) and of course missiles: 8 in two 4 boxed cells.   She (he?) has the capability of handling nuclear depth charges (!!??) and carried anti-sub gyrodyne helicopters, tiny little things for one pilot in the stern of the ship.

I did go into the PT (patrol torpedo) boat exhibit.  They had two full size real boats, and many models.  Models of ships is a big thing at  BattleShip cove: there are many throughout. (The two photos below are not mine btw) 

image.png.dcac59e63feb56659029106576cf2953.pngimage.thumb.png.3c72839f7a4660bd2beff508acd7bb12.png

There was also the incredibly claustrophobic USS Lionfish a submarine (it's ok, its only used for Halloween events!!!)  with fore and aft torpedos, and tiny, and I mean tiny...fore and aft heads.  The ship had been modified by a 5 inch gun that had been donated by the crew after the fact. Apparently the ship may not have had a gun in service. Otherwise she is one of the only "as built" subs in existence.  Below is a photo of the Kennedy, with the Lionfish and Hiddensee in the background, a ship used in the Cuban Missile blockage and in rescue operations for the astronauts in Gemini 6 and Gemini 7.  She fought in WW2 as well.  When I visited there was a funeral service for a member of another DD (I believe DD 227 the Pillsbury, but could easily be wrong) and at least 50 USN officers in dress whites were aboard. I left quickly as to not wander through a remembrance service.

USS_Kennedy.thumb.jpg.9d0c778ae1e36368e917153af4f2a35b.jpg

Also there was another missile ship the Hiddensee , a German corvette. I did not go on her.  If it was the Bismarck...sure :)

Finally I boarded the majestic USS Massachusetts.   It did not have the plane launchers on the stern as does the ship in our game, but the retrieval crane (I don't know the terminology, so apologies) was present.   I walked all around the Bofors on the stern, and then finally the big 16" gun.  I was shocked at the size, it was nearly as big as my house.  

Of course the thing that makes the Massachusetts so good in World of Warships are the secondaries.  I was lucky enough to get a photo of the interior. The turret is huge on the outside, think a medium sized truck, but cramped on the inside where apparently a five or six man crew labored, under their own "gun captain".  I did not do the engine room tour, went as far below decks to see the wardroom, staterooms, galleys, sickbay and the brig.

I 5ba6392c840e5_TrueMassachusettsflag.thumb.jpg.dbaa4a8cc6969a6ab93822297ee24171.jpg

On the two photos above note that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' (we are a commonwealth like Virginia, and not a "State") true flag is white with blue shield, and note the real flag of the USS Massachusetts (and USS Joseph P Kennedy) flown on the ships is actually a blue flag with stars on it.  A photo of that flag is far below.

I've added additional files like the "Walkway Bridge" with Captain's Chair, the real bridge is off limits to visitors,  a nice set of diagrams of the 16" gun turret, and the camouflage.  As you will see in the photos, Massachusetts has the Measure 22 camo, the Measure 32 we got in game was "never implemented".   As you can see in my sig, that bothers me and I hope WG will fix that by giving us the option of both 32 and 22, or if that's too much, just the historically correct Measure 22.

5ba639b2ecdc0_massmeasure32.thumb.PNG.a3fafcbe7cfa1c463eaff707060fe9c4.PNG

Overall this was about a 4 hour day, I rushed so I could get home for my dogs.   There is a pretty extensive gift shop there: 720 scale models you build of the Massachusetts and other ships, many types of coffee cups and glassware, posters, clothing etc.  They have some nice USS Massachusetts gray t shirts but out of my size, so I bought the yellow shirt from Café press and now see where WG got their patch from :)  BTW on the store, the online Battleship Cove online version has only 1/20th of what they have physically there, so if you want some bling, go there to the physical store.

The ships themselves are not in superb condition: lots of rotting deck wood, paint is badly needed in many areas (it takes 92,000 gallons of paints to cover the Mass alone) but its definitely worth going.   I am a history buff and so loved this day, and it was cheap ($23 for a senior) and was a beautiful day.  Sadly it did not seem to be busy...on the sub I met two other people, on the destroyer maybe a dozen, but on the Mass maybe 300.

I edited this to add a few more photos (sorry if this is too much)  I added the guide to "George the Gremlin" (ah, so that's why the bad dispersion!)  the original George that has disintegrated into almost nothing. (Did you know I had to stop a guy from trying to peel off sections of the paint !!!) and the new George copy.

20180921_113123.jpg

secondary interior.jpg

walking bridge.jpg

20180921_111756.jpg

camoflague.jpg

t shirt.PNG

flag.jpg

20180921_104438.jpg

20180921_104501.jpg

20180921_111322.jpg

Edited by nagasakee
  • Cool 9

[-V1-]
Members
163 posts
4,621 battles

It is great that these ships have been saved, but also sad to see their state of repair.    The reality is that as museums these ships would be far better if displayed in a concrete berth dry dock and for those that it is possible with a cover over them to semi-protect from elements.    Of course, all this requires money and rarely are people willing to donate for such museums.   As a boy I saw the U-505 being brought up the Illinois River to Chicago where it is displayed and maintained in excellent shape by a museum there.   While on the Cuban Blockade I saw the sea covered with all kinds of USN Ships of the WWII era that I will never forget.    I also saw them bring the USS North Carolina up the Cape Fear River to Wilmington, NC where it is still on display and have toured it several times.   Every time I've been in awe of its size.   I fear many of these historic ships will eventually simply rot away and sadly great pieces of our naval history will be gone forever.

[SAA]
Members
859 posts
27,322 battles

Good post!  Like to see anyone visiting some of the ships we use in this game, makes me think about the men that fought on them.     :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,773 battles

Very nice!

I recently visited (and posted here) the USS Iowa (BB-61) in Long Beach.

Members
60 posts
10,602 battles

4 decades ago on a elementary school field trip, I fell in love with grey steel ladies. I have tried to get back every 5 years. I fear that one day with the elements that she will be hitting hard times like the Texas. On one trip during the summer we stumbled in to Fall River's Portuguese Day. Never to see so many people onboard and the banks near by where filled with tents full of food, vendors, and performers. Found out that the night would be fire works with the Massachusetts in the foreground. Then we found out that if you had ship tickets you could add on firework viewing from on deck. So we eat dinner and head back on board. Noticed that the 5" guns where roped off. Fireworks started with 4 salvos from all of the 5" and they where used through out the show. What a site to see. Unfortunately I think they have stopped the festival for economical reasons and lack of supporters.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,008 battles
2 minutes ago, Ens_Stovall said:

4 decades ago on a elementary school field trip, I fell in love with grey steel ladies. I have tried to get back every 5 years. I fear that one day with the elements that she will be hitting hard times like the Texas. On one trip during the summer we stumbled in to Fall River's Portuguese Day. Never to see so many people onboard and the banks near by where filled with tents full of food, vendors, and performers. Found out that the night would be fire works with the Massachusetts in the foreground. Then we found out that if you had ship tickets you could add on firework viewing from on deck. So we eat dinner and head back on board. Noticed that the 5" guns where roped off. Fireworks started with 4 salvos from all of the 5" and they where used through out the show. What a site to see. Unfortunately I think they have stopped the festival for economical reasons and lack of supporters.

Man, I would have LOVED to hear the 5 inchers.  So cool.  Happily the city still does something for the Portugese:  http://www.heraldnews.com/entertainment/20180605/day-of-portugal-kicks-off-thursday

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

On my short list of trips, along with the Kidd. I have been on the Alabama multiple times, as well as the Iowa and Missouri as museum ships as they were taken out of the active fleet just prior to when I enlisted in the Navy. 

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,008 battles

Thanks much guys, I had about 30 more photos, but there are far better versions on the net

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,008 battles
31 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

So what's the story behind the flying field of stars?

Fabulous question, well done!.   The "Jack" flag, blue field with 50 white stars is defined as: "The jack of the United States of America is a maritime flag representing United States nationality flown on the jackstaff in the bow of American vessels that are moored or anchored. The U.S. Navy is a prime user of jacks for its warships and auxiliaries, but they are also used by ships of the U.S. Coast Guard, the predominantly civilian-manned replenishment and support ships of the U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command, the ships of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and other U.S. governmental entities. "The jack is flown on the bow (front) of a ship and the ensign is flown on the stern (rear) of a ship when anchored or moored. Once under way, the ensign is flown from the main mast."["

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,435 posts

Fantastic forum post! One of these is all I need to get through months of whine threads. Thank you!!

I’m a road trip away from ALABAMA. It’s amazing too. Went to Long Beach many years ago and walked thru the Queen Elizabeth ocean liner. Amazing. A lifetime ago I walked a bulk freighter museum in Cleveland and thought it was cool. One day I hope to travel the  east coast and check out its many ship museums. 

Edited by thebigblue

Beta Testers
2,990 posts
4,421 battles

nuclear depth charges,nuclear tank shells,portable nuclear missile. they exist to make SURE the enemy DIE for real.

god the cold war was hilarious and amazing,so many "nuclear" gadgets

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,150 posts
14,555 battles

I've only visited a BB once, and it was long ago.  Early 1980s for one of San Francisco's annual Fleet Week, back when the USN used to call S.F. as one of their homes in the West Coast.  Dad took me to visit Iowa-class, USS New Jersey when she was in port for the event.  Even after all the base closures of the 1990s, the USN still does Fleet Week in San Fran, Blue Angels flying around and everything.