Capt_Flatulence

Game crashes come back to disciplinary penalty

19 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
1 battles

I keep running into the game crashing mid-battle and then coming back to a disciplinary penalty for 'inaction' or 'leaving the battle early.' No into my 7th penalty, really tired of it, what can be done. It isn't a problem with my connection because everything else works well.

Members
95 posts
6,336 battles

I lost connection whilst still in the queue, got 3 pink games for inactivity, not fair but not a big consequence. If your game crashes that much, I’d consider reinstalling.

[WORX]
Members
1,809 posts
12,846 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Flatulence said:

I keep running into the game crashing mid-battle and then coming back to a disciplinary penalty for 'inaction' or 'leaving the battle early.'

IF your running a MAC, change to PC... Other then integrity check, I recommend dont run other programs on top of WOWS.  You can soft restart if it crashes then a hard one. Usually that clears it up

Community Department
2,096 posts
520 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Flatulence said:

I keep running into the game crashing mid-battle and then coming back to a disciplinary penalty for 'inaction' or 'leaving the battle early.' No into my 7th penalty, really tired of it, what can be done. It isn't a problem with my connection because everything else works well.

19 minutes ago, Captmuddxx_2018 said:

Run the integrity check then reboot your compu and try again. If that does not help put in a support ticket!

If it's not a critical error, I mentioned the possible fix here: 

And you think that issue may happen with network you need to create WGCheck report (extended network diagnostics). Write details in the ticket and also the model of your router and type of the connection. Attach this all to the ticket. 

[-V1-]
Members
159 posts
4,574 battles

The core issue is not the connection.    The core issue is being penalized for something that is not the player's fault.    This is arbitrary, though well intended,  fix to those players who simply bail out of a game because they don't like the lineup or their team.   But every player does have real issues that occur, a must take a phone call, a delivery of medicine to their door they must sign for, unexpected visitors or family dropping in, a sudden demand for bathroom facility, etc., etc.. and they should not be arbitrarily fined for these incidents.   I do understand that WoWs good intentions and that a computer is impersonal but the current method I fear does more harm than good, creating disgruntled, enraged players who rightly feel they have been victimized or wronged by this computer-driven imposed penalty.

Another penalty that needs to be rethought by WoWs is the automatic assessment of fines in ship collisions.    When a ship is stationary and is run into by another ship the stationary ship should never be fined, yet it occurs all the time.    Even when both ships are moving the innocent is fined even though they may have been unable to avoid the collision while the striking ship easily could have done so.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
136 posts
5,021 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

IF your running a MAC, change to PC... Other then integrity check, I recommend dont run other programs on top of WOWS.  You can soft restart if it crashes then a hard one. Usually that clears it up

Keep in mind a hard restart with Windows 10 will require that you disable Fast Startup, lest you just pull the power plug.

[WORX]
Members
1,809 posts
12,846 battles
4 minutes ago, SnipeySnipes said:

Keep in mind a hard restart with Windows 10 will require that you disable Fast Startup, lest you just pull the power plug.

^^^ So true.. Yet so effective

[LOU1]
Members
3,017 posts
8,124 battles
14 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

The core issue is not the connection.    The core issue is being penalized for something that is not the player's fault.    This is arbitrary, though well intended,  fix to those players who simply bail out of a game because they don't like the lineup or their team.   But every player does have real issues that occur, a must take a phone call, a delivery of medicine to their door they must sign for, unexpected visitors or family dropping in, a sudden demand for bathroom facility, etc., etc.. and they should not be arbitrarily fined for these incidents.   I do understand that WoWs good intentions and that a computer is impersonal but the current method I fear does more harm than good, creating disgruntled, enraged players who rightly feel they have been victimized or wronged by this computer-driven imposed penalty.

Another penalty that needs to be rethought by WoWs is the automatic assessment of fines in ship collisions.    When a ship is stationary and is run into by another ship the stationary ship should never be fined, yet it occurs all the time.    Even when both ships are moving the innocent is fined even though they may have been unable to avoid the collision while the striking ship easily could have done so.

I have never been fined in a collision with another player in WOWS.  I have been charged some minor amount for repair of their ship, and I know they were charged a minor amount for the repair of my ship.  There is also no arbitrary fine  (no fine anyway, just a penalty), if you do not move or do damage in a game you are considered AFK.  If it happens occasionally, nothing happens.  If it happens repeatedly, there are pink games assessed.  Still continues and you are orange and limited to Co-op. 

Connection issues, installation issues, life issues may all cause a player to be AFK.  It is up to the player to take steps to address it, which includes submitting the Support ticket turbo07 mentioned.  I have had two times where I was having DC AFKs to pink status and I know it is irritating.  Got it fixed, though.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,809 posts
12,846 battles
15 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

The core issue is not the connection.    The core issue is being penalized for something that is not the player's fault.

It is the connection issue. Your not there then you costed the fleet to be a man down. That is why, the current system is there, BTW its not a penalty, its a warning.

You are correct on one thing, its not the players fault if his connection is down during the match. However, it is and its definitely the players fault IF he doesn't return to the match before the game ends.  That means

21 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

But every player does have real issues that occur, a must take a phone call, a delivery of medicine to their door they must sign for, unexpected visitors or family dropping in, a sudden demand for bathroom facility, etc., etc.. and they should not be arbitrarily fined for these incidents.

^^^^^^ These situations you mentioned are not "penalized". THey're so many AFKer's who play the current system and dont get a warning for this.  You do get a warning when you physically are in the match then you loss connect (typical). Its when you don;t make the attempt to return return back to the match is when you are given the pink warning card.

Hope this clears it up because the system is here to stay. GL/HF

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,401 posts
9,560 battles

I always do a training battle first thing.  Locked up 2 out of 3 times on consecutive days.  Also locked up on a 4th day that I forgot.

[-V1-]
Members
159 posts
4,574 battles

There have been times when I started a game with honest intentions only to have to leave the game by a surprise and unanticipated demand on my presence that required me to leave my computer, even my home and was unable to return for some time, certainly well after that game was over with.    There should be NO Warning, Fine, or anything negative taken against a player in those instances in all fairness.    To simply say it will never change is sort of like sticking one's head in the sand and ignoring a reality of life!      So let's all think positively and find a solution to this issue.   

[WORX]
Members
1,809 posts
12,846 battles
2 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

So let's all think positively and find a solution to this issue.   

think positive pink, that is your warning. Orange is the penalty. The solution is there, its totallly different if you dont like the solution.

[WAX]
Beta Testers
15 posts
1,449 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 6:25 AM, dbw86 said:

First of all, if it is a game crash, you can usually come back to the game in few minutes. When you are in the waiting room and cannot enter the game, instead of quitting the game which looks like you really quit the game, instead, do CTRL + ALT + DEL to summon the task manager and kill the game. When you relaunch the game, you will resume from the previous game you left. If it is such a rare event that you have to be AFK, then it is not the end of the world if you get fined once. If it is not as rare as that, then you deserved to be fined.

[NFE]
Members
43 posts
2,805 battles

What the_stork said. I have had my game crash, had idiot allies run into my torps, etc. but somehow, some way, I managed to pluck up my courage to the sticking point and soldier on. Look at it as a character builder, read "If", by Rudyard Kipling, and go kill red ships.

[KRAK]
Members
1,130 posts
13,551 battles
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, Capt_Flatulence said:

I had this issue a month or two ago and I would recommend that if you are using any of Aslan's mods to uninstall them they cause crashes. I would also check my video card for driver updates.

If still having problems I would write support as they will help you discover what the issue is and fix it.

Members
121 posts
1,519 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 5:29 AM, Navalpride33 said:

IF your running a MAC, change to PC...

Yes, because purchasing an entire new machine with a bloated, frustrating operating system for the sake of one game is definitely a reasonable course of action...

[WORX]
Members
1,809 posts
12,846 battles
2 hours ago, CRGKevin said:

Yes, because purchasing an entire new machine with a bloated, frustrating operating system for the sake of one game is definitely a reasonable course of action...

^^^^ I had the same mentality, but make no mistake I don;t like PC probably never will now. A cheap PC with a very good CPU processor, decent video GPU, is more then enough for processor heavy games like WOWS.

Although yeah not every one can make the switch, its highly recommend it because if you don;t, the Mac Wrapper is not supported by WG/WOWS. Bless the Mac wrapper Developers for there patients of a saint in dealing with a very annoying program. Although MAC users are not left out of the game, its not the "best" application to use WOWS in.

so what are your options ? None that is feesable other then getting a PC if you want to play WOWS in peace. THe reason-ability factor, well its up to ones own judgment to make

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
10 posts
4,339 battles
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, Navalpride33 said:

It is the connection issue. Your not there then you costed the fleet to be a man down. That is why, the current system is there, BTW its not a penalty, its a warning.

You are correct on one thing, its not the players fault if his connection is down during the match. However, it is and its definitely the players fault IF he doesn't return to the match before the game ends.  That means

^^^^^^ These situations you mentioned are not "penalized". THey're so many AFKer's who play the current system and dont get a warning for this.  You do get a warning when you physically are in the match then you loss connect (typical). Its when you don;t make the attempt to return return back to the match is when you are given the pink warning card.

Hope this clears it up because the system is here to stay. GL/HF

Disagree.

If you are unable to load up for whatever the reason and then when you finally get in, you are either dead or the game is over, it still records a penalty against you, a couple of these and you get pinked

An automated system that penalises legitimate play and or inactivity that is no fault of the player, is flawed and frustrating.

On the entry screen it shows if a player is in the game or not.  Clearly WOW hasn't made the quantum leap to include this in their penalty parameters.

Basically its [edited]

Fully understand the reasoning for such a penalty, however the current construct requires review and updating