You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Montana

42 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,840 posts
4,731 battles

....is arguably the best tier X battleship in the game. 

I wont go crazy here, but I really feel like...every ship in tier X that is a BB struggles in this environment. My GK feels like fat/dumb/slow garbage, it was powercreeped by the French (rip secondary king), the Yamato....is a joke...and the Conq is a lol'd boat of gimmicks. 

I had such a great game last night in the Montana...I honestly feel like the ban hammer of Uncle Sam. Those guns are so accurate, they hit stupid hard, and when she is angled she is hard to really hurt. I just...I just don't get why I don't play that ship more often. She can push, she can brawl (ish), she can snipe, she is an AA fortress.....I honestly don't see any notable weakness (aside from being a tato and going flat broadside.)

Getting 6 kills outta the blue by smiting people from full or near full health...12 barrels of pain just smite people. 

Yammy is too fat/slow and can't put out accurate pain strangely enough. GK literally cannot hit the broadside of a barn, and its secondaries are kinda meh. I'm not impressed with the Republic TBH, and the Conq...I haven't gotten there but it seems like it's an HE staleboat. 

• Cool 2

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
225 posts
8,189 battles

each BB has its own role. I don't think any one is actually bad, but if you like the montana over the rest of the pack, that is certainly fine. I haven't played her yet, but when I'm in cruiser or dd, monty is the T10 BB I fear the most, especially in the hands of a player with good aim.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles

the yamato and republique are both fine. 

14 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

yammy can't put out accurate pain strangely enough

literally more accurate and precise than the Montana, and with the legendary module, more so.

yamato has monty beat by 70 meters or so in dispersion. and .3 in sigma.

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
23 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

the Yamato....is a joke...

That’s where I stopped reading.  Yamato with legendary upgrade is NOT a joke.

• Cool 1

Members
1,640 posts
7,474 battles
37 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

it was powercreeped by the French (rip secondary king

????

GK is still by far the best secondary ship in the game, simply due to having 1/4 pen on her guns. Republique secondaries don't have the chance to do sort of direct damage like GKs can.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

????

GK is still by far the best secondary ship in the game, simply due to having 1/4 pen on her guns. Republique secondaries don't have the chance to do sort of direct damage like GKs can.

being the ship with the best secondaries is like being president of a home school

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Bad 1

Members
59 posts
2,171 battles

I suspect Montana can feel more accurate than Yamato just by throwing more shells, even though the reverse actually true. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,971 battles
53 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

....is arguably the best tier X battleship in the game. 

I wont go crazy here, but I really feel like...every ship in tier X that is a BB struggles in this environment. My GK feels like fat/dumb/slow garbage, it was powercreeped by the French (rip secondary king), the Yamato....is a joke...and the Conq is a lol'd boat of gimmicks. 

I had such a great game last night in the Montana...I honestly feel like the ban hammer of Uncle Sam. Those guns are so accurate, they hit stupid hard, and when she is angled she is hard to really hurt. I just...I just don't get why I don't play that ship more often. She can push, she can brawl (ish), she can snipe, she is an AA fortress.....I honestly don't see any notable weakness (aside from being a tato and going flat broadside.)

Getting 6 kills outta the blue by smiting people from full or near full health...12 barrels of pain just smite people. 

Yammy is too fat/slow and can't put out accurate pain strangely enough. GK literally cannot hit the broadside of a barn, and its secondaries are kinda meh. I'm not impressed with the Republic TBH, and the Conq...I haven't gotten there but it seems like it's an HE staleboat. 

Not sure  where you ever got the idea Yamato can’t move or how she can’t hit anything when I can put 3 Shells  through Groz at 24km...

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not sure  where you ever got the idea Yamato can’t move or how she can’t hit anything when I can put 3 Shells  through Groz at 24km...

not to mention the yammy doesnt really need to move. positioning has to be perfect. small increments of movement rarely are you charging anything. and you dont really need to flank much because citadels work from all angles cuz yammy

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,597 battles
58 minutes ago, RC_1140 said:

I suspect Montana can feel more accurate than Yamato just by throwing more shells, even though the reverse actually true. 

Yamato‘s vertical dispersion is somewhat worse than Montana‘s due to the ballistics of the shells. But horizontally Yamato rules.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
36 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Yamato‘s vertical dispersion is somewhat worse than Montana‘s due to the ballistics of the shells. But horizontally Yamato rules.

although when youre shooting someone bow on that kinda gets mitigated

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,310 posts
6,597 battles
2 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

although when youre shooting someone bow on that kinda gets mitigated

It‘s almost as if WG has somehow intended that to be the case :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles
On 22.09.2018 at 8:53 AM, Hanger_18 said:

the yamato and republique are both fine. 

literally more accurate and precise than the Montana, and with the legendary module, more so.

yamato has monty beat by 70 meters or so in dispersion. and .3 in sigma.

Yamato can even citadel Montana right through the bow.

On 22.09.2018 at 9:03 AM, DouglasMacAwful said:

I thought a GF's secondaries were still superior to the Repblique, with AFT/Manual secondaries?

GK still has several things going for her over Republique.

1.  You can still citadel Republique just fine, GK still has her turtlebacks.  Yes, GK as with other German BBs can eat lots of pens, but suffering a bunch of penetrating damage is way better than eating multiple citadel hits.  You can repair back a good amount of penetrating damage, but citadel damage, you're ******.

2.  German BBs commonly feature thick deck armor, 50mm being a theme from Tier VII on.  This means that the HE spammers will get more Non-Pens when shells fall on GK's deck.  In contrast, Republique is a French BB.  French & RN BBs are coated by 32mm armor all over the place.  CAs with their 203mm+ HE shells easily penetrate that.  152mm armed CLs with IFHE devour 32mm armor.  Just as Richelieu gets eaten alive by Cruiser spam, Republique suffers the same problem.  Hell, you can watch one of Flamu's Haragumo videos and see the Non-Pens the IJN 100mm guns get when the shots stray onto GK's deck and not the superstructure.  In contrast when Flamu hammers Republique, the French BB's HP just MELTS.  Unless the shells landed on a main battery turret, it was nothing but HE pens rapidly chipping away the French Battleship's HP.

3.  As wonky as German BB dispersion is, GK still packs 12 rifles to get hits.  Republique is decent in gunnery but with 8 rifles, when RNG decides not to cooperate or flip the user off, then Republique is really off.

4.  GK has Tier X German Hydro, which is a wonderful safety net against torpedoes and even lets that immobile brick of a ship somehow torpedo beat when it's active.

Still, both are good to go.  They are both brawlers but they cater to some different strengths.

• Cool 3

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
On 22.09.2018 at 12:01 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yamato can even citadel Montana right through the bow.

GK still has several things going for her over Republique.

1.  You can still citadel Republique just fine, GK still has her turtlebacks.  Yes, GK as with other German BBs can eat lots of pens, but suffering a bunch of penetrating damage is way better than eating multiple citadel hits.  You can repair back a good amount of penetrating damage, but citadel damage, you're ******.

2.  German BBs commonly feature thick deck armor, 50mm being a theme from Tier VII on.  This means that the HE spammers will get more Non-Pens when shells fall on GK's deck.  In contrast, Republique is a French BB.  French & RN BBs are coated by 32mm armor all over the place.  CAs with their 203mm+ HE shells easily penetrate that.  152mm armed CLs with IFHE devour 32mm armor.  Just as Richelieu gets eaten alive by Cruiser spam, Republique suffers the same problem.  Hell, you can watch one of Flamu's Haragumo videos and see the Non-Pens the IJN 100mm guns get when the shots stray onto GK's deck and not the superstructure.  In contrast when Flamu hammers Republique, the French BB's HP just MELTS.  Unless the shells landed on a main battery turret, it was nothing but HE pens rapidly chipping away the French Battleship's HP.

3.  As wonky as German BB dispersion is, GK still packs 12 rifles to get hits.  Republique is decent in gunnery but with 8 rifles, when RNG decides not to cooperate or flip the user off, then Republique is really off.

4.  GK has Tier X German Hydro, which is a wonderful safety net against torpedoes and even lets that immobile brick of a ship somehow torpedo beat when it's active.

Still, both are good to go.  They are both brawlers but they cater to some different strengths.

at close range the KM BBs are the most accurate in the game

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Everybody has their own opinion, and that's cool, but to say every other tier 10 battleship is crap shows you have taken time to get acquainted to them. 

I feel like Montana is bu far the easiest battleship to play... you can just lob 12 shells in any direction, and it is not hard to do very good damage. It's nice, but so is yamatos overmatched abilities, republique speed, conquerors super heal, and GKs hydro and survivability

Alpha Tester
5,071 posts
2,434 battles
7 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Yammy is too fat/slow and can't put out accurate pain strangely enough. 

And yet, whenever I get into tier 10 games in my NC or Bismarck, the Yamato is the ship I fear the most. If she even angles slightly she can dodge or deflect anything I send her way, while her own guns can even shred my Bismarck when I'm not showing her any broadside whatsoever. I've always known the Yamato as the lolpen machine, laughing at whatever armour you have as she gets 10k salvos every time..

[-V1-]
Members
161 posts
4,597 battles

As a below average to an average player I've had considerable success spamming HE from my Chapayev, Seattle, Hipper, and other T7, 8, 9 & Worcester CR's, particularly with IFHC rounds and burning the Yamato and her sister along with all the other BB's of those tiers with the exception of the Montana's, though I can usually hurt their health a great deal.    The German, French, English and especially the T10 Japanese BB's are floating tinder waiting for a match to ignite them.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, dbw86 said:

As a below average to an average player I've had considerable success spamming HE from my Chapayev, Seattle, Hipper, and other T7, 8, 9 & Worcester CR's, particularly with IFHC rounds and burning the Yamato and her sister along with all the other BB's of those tiers with the exception of the Montana's, though I can usually hurt their health a great deal.    The German, French, English and especially the T10 Japanese BB's are floating tinder waiting for a match to ignite them.

First of all, any BB with the best skills is going to be susceptible to focused and sustained HE spam, so skilled players will at least plan and try to have a way out and disengage from such situation.  Having said that, some BBs are less vulnerable to HE spam due to their armor scheme, specifically thicker armor plate on upper hull.  German, Japanese, US battleships have it better than French and British.  British however have an ability to drop out of detection range and heal huge amount of fire damage dealt to them, so they are not so easy to burn.  French have the speed and gunnery to make single cruiser or DD regret challenging them when played right.  Then there are captain skills, upgrades, and signals that can help (sometimes greatly) with HE spam.  If BBs are a floating tinder, Cruisers are loaded with barrels of TNT just waiting for the right volley to blow them sky high.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
7 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

And yet, whenever I get into tier 10 games in my NC or Bismarck, the Yamato is the ship I fear the most. If she even angles slightly she can dodge or deflect anything I send her way, while her own guns can even shred my Bismarck when I'm not showing her any broadside whatsoever. I've always known the Yamato as the lolpen machine, laughing at whatever armour you have as she gets 10k salvos every time..

Best advise I can give here is when facing a yamato , angle like an IS-6 in WOT. if you hadn't played that then pretend you don't have a bow or stern. The only thing protecting your ship is the bulkhead, and belt. So angle off slightly, and try and bait him into shooting the belt. Take note the Yamato reloads faster than you think, and the shells get there fast. Do not fail in baiting him because you're eating 20k if you mess this up.

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles

This is crazy. It's almost like each tier X battleship has her own strengths and weaknesses, and some players may prefer one to another. I can't believe what I'm reading.

Edited by RagingxMarmoset
  • Funny 1

[-V1-]
Members
161 posts
4,597 battles

What are the thoughts of the BB players on the Musashi?    Has Yammy's monster guns but seems like a sitting duck to me most of the time.    I'm approaching the point I could buy her in the Arsenal or by-pass her for the Salem so I am keenly interested in the BB players thoughts. 

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
1 minute ago, dbw86 said:

What are the thoughts of the BB players on the Musashi?    Has Yammy's monster guns but seems like a sitting duck to me most of the time.    I'm approaching the point I could buy her in the Arsenal or by-pass her for the Salem so I am keenly interested in the BB players thoughts. 

any chance I get to show me playing the Musashi, I take it! here I am sitting behind an island sniping.... its what the Musashi does. No AA, No secondarys, more like a pillbox that floats.

Image result for toad

Members
1,640 posts
7,474 battles
3 hours ago, dbw86 said:

What are the thoughts of the BB players on the Musashi?    Has Yammy's monster guns but seems like a sitting duck to me most of the time.

She's tankier then Yamato, on part of less vulnerable superstructure and 100 more hp.