Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JohnPaul_Jones

Average Joe First Impressions on British DD's

18 comments in this topic

[TBB]
Beta Testers
212 posts
2,510 battles

British theme -  Honestly love having more smoke for short duration because it fits the playstyle I naturally play if allowed. Never much cared for the sit in smoke 2 or 3 times a battle and hope things go right to do as much damage as possible. Using it instead as a safe exit when needed just feels right.  Single launch torpedoes are situational. They go really well or really bad. I am not sure what the concealment are on them, but it seems pretty severe because it may have just been me, but it seemed like some Houdini style escapes were happening. Ship stealth is excellent! Makes it easy to slip in and out of spotter and damage dealer teamed up with quick smoke drops to escape. Anti-DD I found to be much better then I would have expected because you pop out of cover so close that they are already below the curve and you have already landed multi hit shots easily on them before they can react. Also found myself doing the same thing to light cruisers with AP.

T5 Acasta - Ship is just meh. Not much I can say. Having 8 torps is nice but you have to resort to suicide runs or get lucky with island ambushes to use them. Guns are ok at best and feel pretty sluggish rotating. It's not really good at anything aside from spotting. That being said, it is pretty standard compared to its tier peers. DD's are all pretty meh at tier V.

T6 Icarus -- Just quickly looking at the basic setup it does not seem like it is much different then the Acusta. It however IMOP just feels better. With a 10 point Capt, you can get some decent stealth fire from your torps at least. It also seems more agile. Overall it is still just OK, but it is more fun to play compared to the Acasta at least. 

T7 Jervis -- Real fun starts here. The gun power is dramatically better and the arc feels pretty good. You can get all your turrets on target from a steep front facing arc much like the Gadjah. Concealment is excellent and as stated before, can be lethal with the combination of British smoke mechanics. Only concern I have is the torps. Sure there is 10 of them but they seem very weak. REALLY weak! Most notable example was a perfect target of opportunity that I had. Iron Duke cut off from help. Steamed right up to him like it was a tier 2 or 3 match within 3 or 4 km range to make sure every torp hit. ALL 10 torps hit their target. The full health TIER 5 BB was not only still alive, but he had over 1/4 his health still !!! After x10 tier 7 torps?! Which then resulted in a quick death for me instead and him to go on to wipe the floor with the rest of my team one by one and over half health after healing. If 10 of your torps can't kill a tier 5 BB, what is it going to do vs a tier 9 who you would never be able to close that short a distance? Hopefully they get a buff because it seems pretty bad right now. That being said, the Jervis is a great little DD and I would put it right behind the Gadjah in fun factor of the tier 7 DD's.

T8 Lightning -- Also very fun.  It feels similar to the Jervis but not as powerful due to a increased size and more deadly adversaries you meet. Also felt the torp concealment concerns most on the Lightning but it could have just been bad luck. Being able to exit with available smoke quickly was really nice at this tier. It's just a really good DD, simple as that. Easily my favorite T8 DD now. 

I did pickup the Gallant this event and I know it has been out a while. I don't know what it is, but I struggle with it. My guess is it is not really much different then that Icarus and my mind just playing games with me, but it seems very underwhelming with slow gun traverse, lower range torps, and poor maneuvering. Just my opinion.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
266 posts
3,893 battles

I got the Acasta and Jervis; not going to bother with Acasta as it looks awful.  Jervis could be interesting, I hope to get some time in it this weekend.  I suspect you damage saturated the Iron Duke and that is what saved him. 

Will be following first impression threads on the RN DDs with interest.

[SOB]
Members
45 posts
3,103 battles

Giving you this right off the bat...I'm Not That Good

That said (one man's opinion, freely given and worth Almost that much) looking at all the new RNDD's I am less than impressed. Slow not very stealthy, the guns are...OK, Torps...Do Not get me started(!).

You end up with some 3 point Captains, which is better than a poke in eye with a sharp stick.

Anyone who wants to pay hard cash for them....Please come talk to me....we can play some 3 card monte.

• Cool 1

[-TLB-]
[-TLB-]
Members
10 posts
16,075 battles

Cossack is trash. 1:30 reload on torps, 4 torps at that with no reload boost. Any dd in the game wrecks it and being a tier 8 it faces a lot of tier 9 and 10 dd's, it doesnt stand a chance. 3km hydro is a joke at higher tiers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
329 posts
328 battles

Maybe a buff or refitting is on the way...

It is a pity as they look nice and have a true effect on the war.

XhH7NF.jpg

Edited by Patosentado

[SOB]
Members
45 posts
3,103 battles
1 hour ago, Patosentado said:

Maybe a buff or refitting is on the way...

It is a pity as they look nice and have a true effect on the war.

XhH7NF.jpg

Needs Something!

[EFEWE]
Members
63 posts
4,934 battles

Generally, I am pretty potato with DD’s alternating good games with disasters. That said,  it is often more a matter of me trying to do too much and getting rekt overextending. I have enjoyed the Jervis so far as it forces me to play smart and act more like a  CL and less aggressively, focusing more on cap denial and judicious use of guns/torps while kiting popping smoke to obscure my path.

[-TLB-]
[-TLB-]
Members
10 posts
16,075 battles
15 hours ago, TheTrickpony said:

Generally, I am pretty potato with DD’s alternating good games with disasters. That said,  it is often more a matter of me trying to do too much and getting rekt overextending. I have enjoyed the Jervis so far as it forces me to play smart and act more like a  CL and less aggressively, focusing more on cap denial and judicious use of guns/torps while kiting popping smoke to obscure my path.

I understand what your saying but Brit DD's can not contest a cap vs other dd's, especially the cossack vs higher tiers. 

you pop smoke and can not see crap because your hydro is 3km while all the other dd's at tier 8 or higher that have it are 4km + or have radar. 

[BBICT]
Members
3,372 posts
3,567 battles

Well...maybe I'm easily amused, but I kind of the like the Tier 5.. I do feel like a horseman among the Mumakil, if you can picture that fight from Lord of Rings.. Running around slinging your little arrows while trying not to get stomped... Can be a fun, and if you do damage before you die, well then jolly good show old man! 

Beta Testers
852 posts
5,984 battles
23 hours ago, POJAMMER said:

Cossack is trash. 1:30 reload on torps, 4 torps at that with no reload boost. Any dd in the game wrecks it and being a tier 8 it faces a lot of tier 9 and 10 dd's, it doesnt stand a chance. 3km hydro is a joke at higher tiers.

That's just not true, but ok. Lol

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
182 posts
5,198 battles

I've found Jervis and Icarus entertaing so far. They aren't game breaking OP, but they work well for me with their guns being effective and the short burst smoke. The short smoke means that I've smoked, shot at my target, and am out of the area before the enemy torps even pass through where I was.

My one complaint with the Jervis is it's concealment and torp range are worse than Gadja Madra, which is essentially the same class. If it had the 6.1km concealment, or 8km torps it wouldn't seem like a nerfed Pan Asian DD.

Beta Testers
852 posts
5,984 battles
5 hours ago, POJAMMER said:

I understand what your saying but Brit DD's can not contest a cap vs other dd's, especially the cossack vs higher tiers. 

you pop smoke and can not see crap because your hydro is 3km while all the other dd's at tier 8 or higher that have it are 4km + or have radar. 

The Cossack should be contesting caps and providing vision control.

[TF16B]
Modder
660 posts
6,902 battles

Every ship has its place in the “rock, paper, scissors” equation that is WoWS, but I do believe British and Commonwealth DDs and CAs require a higher skill level than other nations. 

[WOLF9]
Members
266 posts
3,893 battles
48 minutes ago, SmithWinston_655321 said:

Are there going to be no T2-4 Brit DDs?  The line starts at T5?   Or is this just due to the rollout teaser they are doing?

There is a full line coming; the missions are just teasers of sorts, giving people a chance to get a jump start on the line.

[5IN]
Members
9 posts

Love the speed that British DD's keep in a hard turn and their 3km visibility with hydro-acoustic search is a valuable tool. For the T8-T10 boats, I might consider getting the hydro-acoustic search upgrade module, once I get 12+ point captain in them. As far as going along into caps alone, It is more plausible in T5-T7 matches than it is in T8+ matches. Their hydro is good, but against 9km+ radar in an uptiered match, they fall very short. These boats need another non British DD or cruiser for support and a map with a lot of islands for potential ambush attempts. If you do not have better than average situational awareness with your map and in game surroundings, you are not going to have a good time in this line.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,264 posts
3,852 battles

I generally like the playstyle of the british DDs. I'm not a fan of the speed (but then again I cut my teeth on Tashkent) I actually like the short duration quick-reload smoke, its not for camping, I liken it to the ink squirt defense of an octopus or squid. 
My main issue, and I stated this in the Jervis thread below, is that I dislike the loss of concealment for slightly better guns and the same torpedoes as Icarus. In some ways I see it justified, Jervis is the beginning of the RN DDs becoming hybrid gunboats, rather than torpedo-stalkers. But I'd happily take 7.5k torps on Jervis. 

Sign in to follow this