You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Asashio put Yugumo and Shiratsuyu to shame?

24 comments in this topic

[W-P-E]
Members
467 posts

I just played with Asashio. It seems better than Kagero, Yugumo and Shiratsuyu. 

LWM says it is OP. I tend to agree. In the right situation (not epicenter DD fight), Asashio can often produce a magnificent game. 

What's your opinion?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Kagero and Yugumo are better. I personally hate Shiratsuyu.

It's a gimmick boat, it can be fun, but it's highly situational (i.e. more than 1 or 2 BBs).

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,882 posts
1,338 battles
14 minutes ago, USSRichardNixon said:

LWM says it is OP. I tend to agree. In the right situation (not epicenter DD fight), Asashio can often produce a magnificent game. 

What's your opinion?

In a game with a good BB population, sure.  In a 5 DD, 2 CV, 4 cruiser, 1 BB game, not so much.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,461 posts
11,780 battles

Asashio is an anti bb destroyer. Her guns are fairly good, but the slow reload hampers her gun boat capability. 

Yugo is a much better torp boat and cap contester.

Kangaroo is almost as good as yugo.

BUT, the boats can be down right OP in the right hands.

[SEP]
[SEP]
Members
32 posts
9,266 battles

TRB Yug is the best of the bunch, and its not even close. That ship is amazing. Shira used to be amazing, now its just good. TRB Kag is ok, nothing special. Asashio is very situational, and if you get bad MM, its almost totally useless.

• Cool 3

Members
755 posts
13 battles

The simple fact that it cannot torp DDs and cruisers makes Asashio unfit for most situations, unlike Kagerou and Yuugumo.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,722 battles

I love playing the Asashio but it falls short of Yugumo which is far more versatile and has real deterrence factor with it's torps.

Cruisers can and do push confidently against an Asashio but not many push against a Kagero and even fewer against a Yugumo.

They are all good ships though.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,453 battles

I had a blast with it in ranked season 9. Got reported constantly just for showing up with it, but it's hard to argue with results.

image.thumb.png.ea7244837f6516a9e0361c7be22ac128.png

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
3,632 battles

i would rather play asashio in any game than play the shima. asashio is basically does the same job as the shima but is actually capable of doing it....and from beyond radar range.

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles

Poi bote is T7 with the corresponding torps, and doesn't get CSM1, so it's kind of an unfair comparison there.

Kagero (and Harekaze, RIP) are excellent provided that you control the space (i.e you spot first and land your first volley dead on, keep cover handy if closing distance or keep them out of radar range if not, etc). Their torps may only go 10 km but they're plenty useful for misdirection and kiting if you can't kill them outright.

Yugumo's 12 km torps are the same as Shimakaze's and will really put the hurt on them.

Asashio's torps are actually really marginal if you use them beyond 12 km, because the torp spread means that it's difficult to stack them anyway; you're going to get the same kind of hits that you would with 10/12 km torps at the same range, and it will be easy to dodge if there are ANY picket ships/planes anywhere near them on route. At closer range, sure, they do a hell of a lot of damage and go fast, but Zekamashi's 12 km torps also go fast and do a lot of damage, and at those ranges you should be able to stack (and lead) your torps such that even the additional warning time shouldn't help.

Asashio also has no ability to engage her most dangerous threats with torps, which means that you have to fully commit to good tactics/positioning. She has absolutely no room for error in that regard.

That being said, if you go into a match knowing that your torps are literally useless against said threats, you'll make smarter decisions that will lead you to actually getting good torp hits when you would normally just throw them in the water.

TL;DR

You're getting placeboed but that's not a bad thing.

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,738 battles
2 hours ago, fovezer said:

TRB Yug is the best of the bunch, and its not even close. That ship is amazing. Shira used to be amazing, now its just good. TRB Kag is ok, nothing special. Asashio is very situational, and if you get bad MM, its almost totally useless.

This. Yug is light years better. I hate seeing Asashios on my team, knowing they are useless and will have to be carried.

[B_Y_F]
Members
99 posts
5,943 battles
2 hours ago, fovezer said:

At T8,I'll always choose Asashio than Kagero.

Even in a 2BB game, Asashio can just go scout and cap. After all, scout is actually the most important job for any DDs. I always prefer to use my teammates' gun to do the initial damage to enemy DD and CL than my own in any IJN DD. I found that if a DD is bad enough to eat torpedos you can offent kill it with guns anyway(except Aki,Kita and Haru).Moreover with 16*20km anti-BB torpedoes I usually will still get one full HP BB.

Members
71 posts
49 battles
4 hours ago, USSRichardNixon said:

What's your opinion?

I beg to differ....

Thing is, Asashio is to much of a one trick pony. If you go to the wrong side in a game you can hardly effect anything exept scouting and maybe a cap. Yugumo is the real mostermashine that can do all that Asashio can and still pull of devestating strikes at both DDs, cruisers, BBs and CVs.

Got them both, play them both, enjoy both, but yugumo is just so much better (If/when you get good at playing it. I still see a lot of players using smoke instead of TRB which is pretty dumb actually).

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,190 posts
11,707 battles
4 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

The simple fact that it cannot torp DDs and cruisers makes Asashio unfit for most situations, unlike Kagerou and Yuugumo.

This.  Asashio is not good at the things that DDs need to be good at.

[WOLF9]
Members
267 posts
3,893 battles

Asashio is way too situational to be outright better than Yug or Shima.  Can still be a fun bote though, and I take it out now and then for the lulz.  If you get favorable MM  you can put up monster games without much effort.  Tier 10 games with 4 radars per side makes it a much tougher slog, and if you pull a CA/CL/DD heavy match you really have to work to contribute.  I see an awful lot of Asashios being played at the map margin, stalking one BB the entire game.  Drives me crazy.  When I drive my Asashio, I play it like a conventional DD with torp restrictions - spotting is my first priority, contesting caps with support second, and if I get the opportunity to sling torps at BBs I absolutely will.

Yug and Shima just have so much more flexibility... Yugumo is definitely better than Asashio.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,735 posts
8,298 battles

So far all Asashio player I met avoided all cap and sat back at 13-15km just because they have 20km DWT. I always hate when I see Asashio in my team because most of the time it's one of those average guy who think it's OP and need to be played like a BB behind CA and DD. 

Personnally I hate Shiratsuyu and like both Kagerou and Yuugumo. I would prefer having them rather than an Asashio. Once all BB are dead, good luck trying to explain how to use IJN concealment and guns to a player who spent his entire game sitting back and avoiding all DD and CA. 

[BUNNY]
Members
182 posts
7,826 battles

I usually play my Asashio close in and spot and cap if possible. I also harass the heck out of the BB's if there are any. Took out a Scharn and a Benson in a double strike the other day.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
11 hours ago, fovezer said:

I'm glad to hear that as I play my Harekaze and Kagero with TRB instead of smoke. I actually do quite well in the Kagero that way, I think not having that smoke security blanket makes you evaluate engagements alot more. 

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I have a dedicated captain for the Asashio using Torp acceleration and IFHE to get 72 knot torps and make its guns somewhat usable, as well as Superintendent to get another TRB charge. 3 skills I don't use on my typical IJN Torp DD captain. As said though MM is your biggest factor in the kind of game you have. 

If there are few BBs you have to use your 5.4km concealment and spot and try to cap hoping a Kitakaze doesn't pop up. 

[SEP]
[SEP]
Members
32 posts
9,266 battles
1 hour ago, firemedic1428 said:

I'm glad to hear that as I play my Harekaze and Kagero with TRB instead of smoke. I actually do quite well in the Kagero that way, I think not having that smoke security blanket makes you evaluate engagements alot more. 

That and smoke is pretty useless for those DDs. You're not going to smoke up and shoot ships because the guns aren't good enough and if you need it to escape, you've already got too close and are probably dead anyways. The IJN DD's rely on their torps, so the more you can get in the water, the more successful you will be.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,453 battles
52 minutes ago, fovezer said:

That and smoke is pretty useless for those DDs. You're not going to smoke up and shoot ships because the guns aren't good enough and if you need it to escape, you've already got too close and are probably dead anyways. The IJN DD's rely on their torps, so the more you can get in the water, the more successful you will be.

‘You aren’t playing against the right people, then... It’s all about positioning, ammo choice, and picking your targets carefully. I routinely have 2-3 kill games where none of them were gained with torpedoes.  Asashio has flat-shooting, accurate guns, and the AP is devastating when you’re careful about your aim. You can easily get citadels and kill cruisers with it, and it’s completely built for kiting.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
11 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I hate seeing Asashios on my team, knowing they are useless and will have to be carried.

This is like saying "I hate seeing people who hide their stats on my team, knowing they are useless and will have to be carried." 

There are plenty of people with Asashios who carry their weight using full time benefits of the ship to the team's advantage- specifically concealment as well as employing smoke it doesn't need. Certainly, there are also plenty who do not. 

The same can be true of people in literally any other ship save for maybe some of the high tier reward ships.