You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Slayer

Pearl Harbor Spring 1942

13 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,519 battles

Another film I found, in color, of Pearl Harbor in the spring of 1942.

USS Nevada, what I think is USS West Virginia, and the remains of USS Oklahoma and USS Arizona are seen.

Edited by Lord_Slayer

[RLGN]
Members
8,278 posts
17,318 battles

Will watch when home, (at work...)

Nice.

B-18 Bolo, really early B-17... (A/B?) still has the bathtub belly gun position.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
4,564 posts
6,496 battles

Very nice. That was the generation of my parents. Mostly all of them I knew back in the 50's/60's served in WWII. They were SO positive about America. Different era. I fear today we are just tearing ourselves apart. Stupidly. Tribalism.  Balkans.  Insane partisanship. That's all I will say. Carry on.

Edited by dmckay

[MOH]
Members
240 posts
1,270 battles
On 9/21/2018 at 11:32 PM, dmckay said:

Very nice. That was the generation of my parents. Mostly all of them I knew back in the 50's/60's served in WWII. They were SO positive about America. Different era. I fear today we are just tearing ourselves apart. Stupidly. Tribalism.  Balkans.  Insane partisanship. That's all I will say. Carry on.

While I don't want to derail this thread by any means, I don't think the level of vitriol today is any different then it was back then.  The difference today is that everyone has access to everything, the ability to interact, and the ability to add their opinion.  My mom actually recently made the comment that she felt the world was a lot "saner" when the TV stations shut off at 11pm.  And to add to that, media carriers like Facebook, YouTube, etc are entertainment mediums, not news mediums.  For example, if you watch pro-left videos that highlight the "horrors of the right!" while browsing YouTube, then it's going to populate your feed with more pro-left videos that highlight the "horrors of the right!", and vice-versa.  People then get all worked up and freak out and are like, "Omgosh!  The right is about to take over this country!  Obama is a Muslim!  Impending economic collapse!"  (etc etc)  When, in reality, the birds are still chirping, your next door neighbor just wants his lawn to look nice, and someone is cooking delicious BBQ a few doors down.  You know, the sun still rises and sets, guys.

I have nothing against the right or the left btw.  I'm just using that as an example.  The best thing our generation can do is put the phones, the social media, the YouTube, and the internet down once and a while and disconnect for a bit.

I don't want to be that generation that people look back at 500-1000 years from now and are like, "They had everything - wealth, education, access, freedom of movement - but they threw it all away because their lack of maturity."

• Cool 5

Members
4,564 posts
6,496 battles
17 minutes ago, Ranari said:

While I don't want to derail this thread by any means, I don't think the level of vitriol today is any different then it was back then.  The difference today is that everyone has access to everything, the ability to interact, and the ability to add their opinion.  My mom actually recently made the comment that she felt the world was a lot "saner" when the TV stations shut off at 11pm.  And to add to that, media carriers like Facebook, YouTube, etc are entertainment mediums, not news mediums.  For example, if you watch pro-left videos that highlight the "horrors of the right!" while browsing YouTube, then it's going to populate your feed with more pro-left videos that highlight the "horrors of the right!", and vice-versa.  People then get all worked up and freak out and are like, "Omgosh!  The right is about to take over this country!  Obama is a Muslim!  Impending economic collapse!"  (etc etc)  When, in reality, the birds are still chirping, your next door neighbor just wants his lawn to look nice, and someone is cooking delicious BBQ a few doors down.  You know, the sun still rises and sets, guys.

I have nothing against the right or the left btw.  I'm just using that as an example.  The best thing our generation can do is put the phones, the social media, the YouTube, and the internet down once and a while and disconnect for a bit.

I don't want to be that generation that people look back at 500-1000 years from now and are like, "They had everything - wealth, education, access, freedom of movement - but they threw it all away because their lack of maturity."

Plus 1.  Thoughtful, much I can agree with here. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 9/21/2018 at 8:32 PM, dmckay said:

Do remember that the 40's America wasn't solely made up of White People.  American citizens were forcibly relocated into concentration camps back then.  Segregation was still in full force, and anti-miscegenation laws would have made it impossible for my parents to marry back then.  Depending on who you were, those times could have been the dark ages.

Edited by Sventex

[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,823 battles

Did anyone else notice the sailor in blues at about 12.53 crossing the street?  He had white :Smile_ohmy: socks on!  The horror!  Or, is it just me being a Chief to notice that? :cap_yes:

Members
4,564 posts
6,496 battles
36 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Do remember that the 40's America wasn't solely made up of White People.  American citizens were forcibly relocated into concentration camps back then.  Segregation was still in full force, and anti-miscegenation laws would have made it impossible for my parents to marry back then.  Depending on who you were, those times could have been the dark ages.

I understand exactly what you are saying and you make a very good point. However I was referring to my parents and I am not going to "politicize" how they felt and believed. I do stand by my statement regarding the current day balkinization/tribalism of this country and the very disturbing, at least to me, rabid partisanship we are seeing from all sides of the political spectrum. I really do fear we are tearing ourselves apart. The events of the past few weeks have added to my concerns and that is all I feel I should say about that. Carry on. 

Edited by dmckay

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

I understand exactly what you are saying and you make a very good point. However I was referring to my parents and I am not going to "politicize" how they felt and believed. I do stand by my statement regarding the current day balkinization/tribalism of this country and the very disturbing, at least to me, rabid partisanship we are seeing from all sides of the political spectrum. I really do fear we are tearing ourselves apart. The events of the past few weeks have added to my concerns and that is all I feel I should say about that. Carry on. 

The point of me mentioning the concentration camps, the segregation and anti-miscegenation laws back in the 40's was to indicate that the current era of "tribalism" is quite minor in comparison.  The tribalism back then was far worse but America managed to get through it, so there's reason to have some optimism for the future.

• Cool 1

Members
4,564 posts
6,496 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

The point of me mentioning the concentration camps, the segregation and anti-miscegenation laws back in the 40's was to indicate that the current era of "tribalism" is quite minor in comparison.  The tribalism back then was far worse but America managed to get through it, so there's reason to have some optimism for the future.

Good post. 

[BLHK]
Members
351 posts
3,454 battles
21 hours ago, Sventex said:

Yeah every era believes theirs to be the best of time, the worst of times.

You would think with the rinse and repeat cycle that is modern society of the last couple of hundred years we might have learned by now :(

Edited by MG1962

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,156 posts
14,555 battles
On 9/21/2018 at 7:52 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

Another film I found, in color, of Pearl Harbor in the spring of 1942.

USS Nevada, what I think is USS West Virginia, and the remains of USS Oklahoma and USS Arizona are seen.

Pretty much what Yamamoto was concerned about should Japan go to war with the US.  The US had the resources to resurface some of these ships, fix them up, and send them to war.  Some of the BBs that engaged the Japanese for the massacre at Surigao Strait in 1944 were ships "sunk" from Pearl Harbor.  Not only was the US bringing up those ships in Pearl, but it was building tons and tons and tons of new ships and aircraft.  Meanwhile, Japan couldn't even begin to start replacing their Destroyer losses that will mount when the Guadalcanal campaign starts a few months after this video.

Fun with Numbers:

Total IJN Fleet Destroyers in WWII - 112

Spoiler

Mutsuki-class 12

Fubuki-class 24

Hatsuharu-class 6

Shiratsuyu-class 10

Asashio-class 10

Kagero-class 19

Yugumo-class 19

Akizuki-class 12

Total USN Fletcher-class - 175

Total USN Allen M. Sumner-class - 55 commissioned during WWII

Leaving out previous Fleet DD classes like Sims, Benson, etc.  Gearing-class was starting to enter service months before the end of the war.

Total IJN Ligh Cruisers in WWII - 21

Spoiler

Tenryu-class 2

Kuma-class 5

Nagara-class 6

Sendai-class 3

Agano-class 4

Oyodo-class 1

Total USN Cleveland-class - 25 commissioned before the end of WWII.

Leaving out Atlanta, St Louis, Brooklyn-class CLs.

All that, while still overwhelming the Japanese at the front.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, dmckay said:

Yes, and before that they were so positive that people were lynched because of their last name. My family name used to end in a Z, it was changed in 1917. The only thing that has changed is that we now have 24hr a day media networks who long ago discovered the unfortunate reality that there isn't enough actual news to broadcast it 24 hours a day.