You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LubzinNJ

What exactly is the point of the British DDs?

44 comments in this topic

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,273 battles

Was lucky enough to get two of the new British DDs from the event. Not happy with them. Granted my experience is limited to the Jervis....but T7 is supposed to be the sweet spot of gameplay lately.

Pros:

Um.....it's new?

Cons:

Worse shell arcs that USN 5"/38cals

A smoke that puts out 3 puffs at most and lasts 40 seconds

At least at this tier a detection that isn't anything special

Did I mention the bad shells? Cause anything past 7KM good luck.

No speed booster. You know, the thing that makes gun boat DDs make it a touch harder for enemies to hit you.

Did I mention the really really useless smoke and the really horrible gun arcs?

Maybe bad AA...haven't really had an opportunity to try it.

I just don't get what this ship line is supposed to represent. USN is well balanced. Russian is pure gunboat. IJN is torpedo. Pan-Asian is a blend of them all. What does the British line offer other than frustration? If not for the fact I'm a glutton for free stuff I wouldn't even be running them.

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
2,456 posts
2,253 battles

The point of the low/mid tier RN DDs is make you want to free XP your way to the t8+ DDs that look to be serviceable.

• Funny 4

[DENY]
Members
337 posts
4,704 battles

Good concealment , those are made to get close of the target,

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,273 battles
3 minutes ago, dad003 said:

Good concealment , those are made to get close of the target,

And do what? at that tier you get close to a target and expose yourself you get focused and die

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,374 battles
32 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

And do what? at that tier you get close to a target and expose yourself you get focused and die

exactly,RN DDs are exp pinatas that only masochists will love.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
16 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Actually, I think the shell arcs are better than the USN DDs. Somebody posted a chart earlier.

That's like saying the flu is better than pneumonia when in reality both suck, and can kill you.

• Funny 4

[LANCE]
Members
304 posts
3,229 battles

T8 Lightning seems pretty good!

- 5.5km detection range

- guns are fast firing and do some good dmg with 9% fire chance

- excellent maneuverability. Quick off the mark

- good torp damage. Single fire also

- smoke is more for defense than sitting in shooting at other boats so run and smoke behind to hide your exit. It’s why you have so many charges and it reloads so quick

Just my $0.02

[LOU1]
Members
3,018 posts
8,124 battles

The TV is supposed to be almost useless.  My third battle in her, I set up with only one premium consumable, RN camo, and a Commander XP flag with an 8-point Commander to grind the Commander and Mission.  Forgot to switch from Random and ended up in a TVII battle full of DDs (4/side)  and Cruisers with a couple of BBs on each side.  Wonderful 6.6km concealment and I almost typed in chat that I was going to be completely useless.  Ended up with 2 kills (one a Leningrad), instrumental in saving our base and middle of the team.  Those short, quick reloading smokes could get addictive.

I think players will love or hate them, just like with the French line.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
253 posts
3,188 battles

RN DD's are DD killers and cap controllers. Very stealthy with the quick recharge smoke for quickly dropping detection, Hydro and high DPM guns that are best at close range. Great mobility, very fast acceleration plus with the single fire torps they're excellent ambushers.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
521 posts
5,860 battles

I'm still trying to find a good point from and of the UK DD's!

[TARFU]
Members
879 posts
5,915 battles

I will say this, i've been dodging torps that would've killed me in other lines (unless i was running engine acceleration maybe). I don't get why a "DEFENSIVE" DD would have short duration smoke. It's backwards, if ships are pushing into you...You'd want longer lasting smoke. I wish they'd let the torpedo tubes reload sequentially, so you could shoot one every 20 seconds or whatever. Now that would be a "defensive" gimmick, because it's naturally self balancing. Seems like they wouldn't even have a problem implementing it because the torpedo GUI shows the individual torpedos reloading, but you can't fire them until the whole rack is finished.

Members
712 posts
13 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

exactly,RN DDs are exp pinatas that only masochists will love.

Didnt people say the same thing to IJN DDs?

[DENY]
Members
337 posts
4,704 battles
17 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

I will say this, i've been dodging torps that would've killed me in other lines (unless i was running engine acceleration maybe). I don't get why a "DEFENSIVE" DD would have short duration smoke. It's backwards, if ships are pushing into you...You'd want longer lasting smoke. I wish they'd let the torpedo tubes reload sequentially, so you could shoot one every 20 seconds or whatever. Now that would be a "defensive" gimmick, because it's naturally self balancing. Seems like they wouldn't even have a problem implementing it because the torpedo GUI shows the individual torpedos reloading, but you can't fire them until the whole rack is finished.

Same had some insane torpedo beat in the t5 , the rudder is good

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,798 posts
10,299 battles

They're hard to generalize - the top tiers look remarkably different from the mid-tier ships and quite different again from the lower tiers.

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
37 posts
1,612 battles

I received the Acasta, Icarus, and Jervis through missions, etc. When the line went "live" I had 3 British DD's that I found not that much fun to play. I sold the Acasta and Icarus but kept the Jervis encase I felt like going up the line to the Daring . We all know the smoke is a joke, the guns have terrible arcs and no punch, no engine boost but good acceleration, and I don't care to single fire a single torp at an enemy boat. I only have 2 British ships now, the Jervis and the Warspite, and I glad I didn't have to spend anything on them.

[SYN]
Members
4,541 posts
11,437 battles

I was really looking forward to the RN DDs but found the Acasta and Icarus, earned in missions, underwhelming in many ways.  This even after spending Elite Captain XP to get them to 10 pts (something I later regretted doing).

I can't speak for the other RN DDs, but there are much better Tier V and VI destroyers in the game to waste time with.

[DRACS]
Members
3,503 posts

Defensive cap control and ship screening.

And I have no idea why people complain about the smoke so much. I personally love it. Short duration, sure, but you get a ton of them and they come back really quickly, allowing for frequent repositioning should all nearby targets die or break line of sight.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai has a couple of YouTube vids that show what the Acasta can do and how. However, it must be admitted that both of these are with the Acasta as top-tier, and we know what sort of situations she's normally going to be in.

I am currently grinding the line,something I'm going to be taking my time over in between Royal Navy tasks. Currently at Valkyrie, expecting a jump in difficulty when I hit the Wakeful and have to go up against T5 cruisers such as the Konigsberg, with 3 x 3 medium-calibre guns. The YOLO charges against distracted enemies that have yielded good results so far are not going to work so well against opposition like that.

[WOLFC]
Members
180 posts
13,972 battles

I've been doing pretty well with the Jervis despite its supposed mediocrity. I've been using the short smokes to get out of sticky situations and to take a few pot shots at enemy ships before bugging out. The hydro helps when contesting caps. Used with the fantastic acceleration I can easily dodge incoming torps. The acceleration is great for messing up the aim of cruisers and BBs shooting at me from range. I don't often make use of the single fire torpedoes but there have been a few times where they've really proved their worth, during ambushes or when dealing with a bow in BB.

I've been having good luck with the Icarus and Lightning, too, but I haven't played enough games in those ships to know if my positive results will continue.

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

The Daring is nice, it's AP vs. other DD's is monstrous. I like the shorter smoke although I wish they would make the diameter a hair bigger (even with SSE) as I find it's JUST big enough to barely stop short in it. The torps are nice, no complaints there. I love that the guns go 360 degrees which means you can be dancy as you want to be and they might be the best DD hunters in the game as a result (I can change direction at will while most opponents are forced to react). It needs a buff to it's healing though, because you tend to take a lot of hits being slow and reasonably tall (and lacking the Khab's belt/speed to mitigate it).

On 9/22/2018 at 1:10 AM, mofton said:

They're hard to generalize - the top tiers look remarkably different from the mid-tier ships and quite different again from the lower tiers.

Ehh they all (at least when they get Sonar) make pretty good DD hunters and mid-range harassers. They are very similar to the KM DD's in that regard but with a slight edge in DD hunting due to more comfortable guns.

Edited by _RC1138

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

They are good "defensive" destroyers. :cap_cool:

Somehow, despite being weaker (or at best equal to), say, USN DD in pretty much every metric, they are somehow even better on "defense."

- worse speed

- worse smoke

- worse torps

= guns

+ slightly better stealth

.....somehow this makes them great in defense. Even their premium Cossack doesn't compare well to Kidd...

[SPCU]
Members
140 posts
3,833 battles

Icarus and acasta were okay at tier..  jervis for me was the emerald of the rn dd line... lightning is the juicy fiji light at the end of the tunnel. Sit broadside in a cap... pop hydro... wait... you will see most enemies first... your rapid acceleration and amazing maneuverability means you can dart forward and backward to dodge incoming shells with ease... hydro and nimbleness mean enemy torps are a joke... smoke and run if things get too hairy... its an evil boat that uptiers wonderfully. You outstealth ijn and outturn usn... low health but so what?p

Members
460 posts
12,389 battles

They're very good overall DDs. They've got either very good or decent concealment, their manoeuvrability is great, torps are decent and the guns are amazing in the right situations. 

I also kind of like the smoke. It's perfect for popping defensively to run or doing a short offensive burst. You get lots of charges and a fast reload. It's short, but that isn't the worst thing in the world because the longer you sit in smoke, the more likely you are to get torped or hunted down by a radar CA. And if you get pushed out of your smoke by radar you really don't care because you know you've got another charge coming up soon.

I haven't played them a ton yet but I haven't come across one that I really dislike. The Daring may be my new favourite tier 10 DD. I wanted to like the Harugumo, but I hate the handling so much.

• Cool 2