Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shokNgnaw

DD Captains: Which to choose, IJN Minekaza or Mitsuki ?

20 comments in this topic

[WJDC]
Members
58 posts
1,760 battles

I've been playing T3 & T4 German DDs but I'm looking for a T5 DD. I've decided against the German T-22 so I've been studying the Mutsuki and Minekaze. I've looked at all the stats on both and understand the pluses and minuses of each boat, but I'm just looking for a "gut feeling" of anyone who's captained both. If you have an avid love or grinding hate of either boat, I'd like to hear about it. Since I haven't played any IJN boats, I won't have a captain with points to assign, other that the basic 3 points offered when selecting the boat.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

IJN DDs are...kind of rough.  Between the two, Minekaze.

[KNTI2]
Members
785 posts
4,299 battles
11 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

I've been playing T3 & T4 German DDs but I'm looking for a T5 DD. I've decided against the German T-22 so I've been studying the Mutsuki and Minekaze. I've looked at all the stats on both and understand the pluses and minuses of each boat, but I'm just looking for a "gut feeling" of anyone who's captained both. If you have an avid love or grinding hate of either boat, I'd like to hear about it. Since I haven't played any IJN boats, I won't have a captain with points to assign, other that the basic 3 points offered when selecting the boat.

I would look at what suits your playstyle better (better vision control/torps vs better gunplay) and then simply choose from there.

That being said, the Minekaze will feel more comfortable than the Mutsuki since it has twice the number of guns and only somewhat worse torps. Single mounts feel terrible even if the rest of the ship is generally better.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

The real answer is Kamikaze for T5, but you can't get it anymore because it's "OP" and removed from sale except via gambling, i.e. Santa Crates or maybe Halloween ones. WG keeps playing with their loot crates and making them worse though, so might not be available even then, guess we'll see. Either way at T6 you can get the free premium ship Shinonome which is decent, from the permanent campaign when you finish it. Fubuk isn't bad either. I main DDs and mostly play IJN but it's been too long for me to really remember either of the two you're talking about and I sold them long ago.

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

Check the Wiki and the reviews, but I would go for Minekaze.

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,500 battles
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Go to the wiki and look at the line from Minekaze and Mutsuki to T10 and see which like seems better. Then do that one first.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Destroyers

The man speaks the truth. There are low points in every grind but you have to kind of look towards the end goal. At the moment the harugumo is probably the strongest ship in the came capable of outgunning khabs, gearings, des Moines and every bb you see.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles

Mini, the Mutt has always been kind of a dog (sorry for that incredibly bad pun; I couldn't help myself!)

[RLGN]
Members
8,242 posts
17,242 battles
45 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Mini, the Mutt has always been kind of a dog (sorry for that incredibly bad pun; I couldn't help myself!)

While I might generally disagree; Umikami is basically telling the truth.

If you’re  good at concealment, torp spam, and sorta-good guns; go for Minekaze.

If you’re GREAT at using concealment, LOVE stalking targets, (or are good at area denial torping,) don’t mind picking on poor souls barely clinging to a sliver of health, (otherwise known a ‘kill stealing/securing,’) with what basically amounts to a pair of cork-guns; and don’t mind occasionally getting yelled at in chat for not charging some cap full of gunboat destroyers or cruisers; then Mutsuki is for you.

Minekaze is about torp spam and okay gunfighting.

Mutsuki is about scouting and area denial torping; or if you’re really bold; sneaking up on another ship and knifing them in the guts with torpedoes that will kill just about anything Mut will face.

Worried about just having two guns at point blank range? No problem; just don’t miss with the torps, and you should be golden.

When the enemy has been sunk; it doesn’t matter that you only had two guns.

Guess which one I normally drive...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts

Where you gonna go?

Of the two, Minekaze is better. But, the Mutsuki line (pronounced Mut-ski ) has beasts for 8, 9, and 10. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,445 posts
8,092 battles

If memory serves Minekaze is the one that is basically over nerfed Kami/Fujin which leads to the gunboat DD's, which are the only truly relevant IJN DD's at this point. 

Also, don't knock the T-22.

400 more HP

Bit better armour

may be a smaller gun, but way faster train and RoF - more rounds per minute, double really, and stays on target better when maneuvering

Better torpedoes - .5 km more range, faster meaning less chance the target avoids till they see them, which, while Minekaze is in terms of reaction time the least nerfed IJN ship, has an ever so slight edge on it in reaction time the torpedo leaves once spotted by the target. 

While the "per launcher" reload of Minekaze is better than even the "OP'" Kami clones and does beat the T-22 overall, when it comes to per torpedo on the launcher average, T-22 is actually better than the Kami clones (just under 23 seconds without torp reload, vs just under 24 seconds. Which sounds crazy to look at till you consider that 2 torps on a  launcher vs 3 is similar to the 2 barrels of a Colorado turret to the 3 of an NC in how they group. Which as nice as the faster reload can be, triple tubes can put down, at least my opinion, a better spread.

T-22 torps also so more damage. 3k more.

Minekaze does have T-22 outright beat in mobility.

In concealment, the T-22 at 5.6 km is only spotted .2 km sooner than the IJN DD's at this tier. But remember it also has faster, higher damage torps with longer range and gives it a .3 km greater buffer between max torp range and spotted range than Minekaze. 

And while AA is still not stellar, it's a DD, max AA before BFT and all of Minekaze is 14 DPS, T-22 is 56 DPS, over half of which is long/medium range. 

And remember, Minekaze is supposed to lead to the gunboat line, and was a torpedo boat, while T-22 and the Germans are more a hybrid. Once you get to Aki sure, those guns are just better than any other ships, other than her following ships at 9 and 10, hands down. But generally the Germans. and to some degree or another really every other line, is superior to IJN ships entirely in the main line, and till tier 8 in the gun branch. Partially cause the "torpedo" boats, that were balance as such, average around 9.5 seconds to react to their torps once spotted, while the other nations, even if they have similar speed and range, leave 7.5-7.9 seconds on the high end. And most of those are gunboats or hybrids, not dedicated torp boats. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,830 posts
1,327 battles

Minekaze has 21 inch torps and 4 guns.  Mutsuki has 24-inch torps (Long Lances) and 2 guns, but once you get the modules it lowers the reload considerably.   Similar, but different.

[WJDC]
Members
58 posts
1,760 battles

Thanks for the replies! All helpful information. And actually, I hadn't thought to look further up the line to see what comes after the T5 DD, duh. I think I'll start with the Mut and see if I can develop better torp skills. I like that it has an 8 km range on the torp and 6.2 km basic detection, and that they have higher max damage. I haven't found that long range torps help all that much but I'll take any edge I can get. All DDs seem to have pea shooters for mains so I'm not too convinced that the extra artillery that the Minekaze has over the Mut will be that great a benefit. I'll just have to learn how to always bring a torpedo to a gun fight. I'll probably end up getting them both and do more research in the wiki on the DDs further up the line.

[WJDC]
Members
58 posts
1,760 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

(snip)  Also, don't knock the T-22. (/snip)

WG, I really like the German DDs that I've been playing: V-25, V-170

The main problems that I have with the T-22 are that she's slower that the IJN boats and rudder shift time seems way slooow. With the V-25 and V-170, I've often had to dart out of the way of big guns with a lot of tail wagging and I'm not sure the T-22 would be up to that. I may end up coming back to it later but, for now, I need to get a T5 DD for the daily "Combat Missions", and think I'll try one of the IJNs.

Edited by shokNgnaw

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,445 posts
8,092 battles

Was merely giving the information that really, that speed and agility is about all the IJN DD's have on T-22. That said, speed of those previous 2 DD's torps are similar to what Minekaze has been saddled with, so, perhaps easier for you to work with than someone like me who was used to faster torps with a spotting range the same as other nations if anything, and suddenly find myself with slower torps with a worse detection range than other nations torps. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,512 battles

This ultimately depends on which tier 10 you wish to obtain first. Going Minekaze, you'll get to Harugumo. Going Mutsuki, you'll get to Shimakaze.

However, between the two, Minekaze is the far superior ship, between the two. Her torpedoes may only be 533mm in diameter, but, you get three turrets of two torpedoes, as opposed to 2 turrets of 3 torpedoes. Minekaze has far better torpedo versatility as a result, even if her torpedoes are not as powerful. Minekaze is also faster, and I believe stealthier (too lazy to check wiki right now to confirm the stealth). Minekze also has 4 main battery turrets, while Mutsuki only has 2. Though I believe Mutsuki has the faster reload (again, too lazy to check Wiki), either way, which ever ship has faster main battery reload, it isn't by much.

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
13,820 battles

Minny used to be the go to tier 5 DD, while she can still boast speed and stealth...... her torps speed has been nerfed into almost uselessness. 

She was the reason I became a DD main.

minekaze.JPG

Sign in to follow this