You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MutsuKaiNi

BBs, stop taking Survivability Expert!

140 comments in this topic

[DAKI]
Members
187 posts
7,409 battles

Every time I see a BB on my team with this skill I just sigh in frustration, I'm glad WG finally put in a system to discourage people from taking certain skills but they really need to put more effort into helping new players build their captains properly. I really want to stop seeing T10 BBs taking this useless skill, a total waste of three valuable points 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Members
155 posts
6,573 battles
2 minutes ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

Every time I see a BB on my team with this skill I just sigh in frustration, I'm glad WG finally put in a system to discourage people from taking certain skills but they really need to put more effort into helping new players build their captains properly. I really want to stop seeing T10 BBs taking this useless skill, a total waste of three valuable points 

Maybe you should elaborate a bit, as to why they shouldn't take SE and what other skill they should use the 3 points on.

• Funny 4

[ENDVR]
Members
423 posts
5,333 battles

Likely to be most found that way due to captain training on premium BBs.  Works out that way with me sometimes.

Edited by SmokeHenge
Phonetyping
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
Members
187 posts
7,409 battles
10 minutes ago, Wittman73 said:

Maybe you should elaborate a bit, as to why they shouldn't take SE and what other skill they should use the 3 points on.

Very well, lets take a T10 BB for example. 350x10=3500

That lets you survive one penetration from any other T10BB

Not a cit, not an overpen, one penetration.

That is in no way worth 3 captain points

Edited by MutsuKaiNi
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
9,039 posts

It's fun to use the skill to get the other team to assume you are a potato, similar to driving like a Derpitz. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
303 posts
4,519 battles
Just now, NashW8 said:

How can you see if someone else uses that skill?

Just look a the total hit points shown on their icon.  If it is ever so slightly higher than what it should be, they have SE on their captain.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Okay, but there is something intimidating about 100k hitpoints... just sayin 

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,510 battles

I have no clue how many hit points any BB should have :)

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,289 battles

I heard Bots in coop and operations shoot at ships with lower hit points so this skill would help ensure they are shooting your friends which is always worth it

• Funny 5

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
3 minutes ago, NashW8 said:

I have no clue how many hit points any BB should have :)

It's not exactly memory (even I only know a few and I've played o9% of the battleships in game). 

There's 2 main ways I tell. 

- (I believe) GK is the only ship with over 100k base hitpoints. If a ship has over 100k or 110k for gk, it's a given. There is only a few ships that satisfy this, but those are the most tempting to take it on.

- look at duplicate ships. If both teams have a NC and one has a few thousand more HP than the same ship, either friendly or enemy, then they obviously have SE. If it's more than like 5k, they may be a stock hull, so keep that in mind. 

It's not super obvious, but sometimes your stop and think 'wait a minute!'

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
2 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I heard Bots in coop and operations shoot at ships with lower hit points so this skill would help ensure they are shooting your friends which is always worth it

That shouldn't be worth 3 points for a battleship.

[NGA]
[NGA]
Beta Testers
498 posts
12,732 battles

You do realize it is just more than the 3500 Hp right?  It also calculates into the percentage per heal.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles
2 minutes ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

You do realize it is just more than the 3500 Hp right?  It also calculates into the percentage per heal.

Then its also based on that percentage. Your increase of 3500/100,000 is insignificant compared to the power of the Force. 

(ie. Also not worth it)

• Funny 3

[WOLFB]
Members
1,732 posts
8,284 battles

According to WG SE on a BB is one of the recommended skill, unlike IFHE lul

shot-18.09.21_13.11.02-0278.jpg

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,574 posts
2 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Careful, you might hurt his fragile logic

Members
1,157 posts
6,936 battles
4 minutes ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

Still not useful on a BB.  BoS would go a long ways farther in keeping you alive.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
2 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I don't know what that screenshot is supposed to illustrate, but it does not show that SE is recommended.   Third row, second from the left.

[SIDE]
Members
733 posts
3,274 battles
6 minutes ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

3 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Then its also based on that percentage. Your increase of 3500/100,000 is insignificant compared to the power of the Force. 

(ie. Also not worth it)

For the same 3 points, you COULD just get ANOTHER repair party, 15% less fire / Flooding, OR 25% better detection on torpedoes, That all sounds WAY better than the Max benefit of an under 1%ish increase on a collective heal on a T10 BB.

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
7,574 posts
On 9/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, Frederick_The_Great said:

Still not useful on a BB.  BoS would go a long ways farther in keeping you alive.

Lemme tell you a story. I once came around the corner of an island in my Republique and was face to face with a Grosser and a Montana at extremely-point-blank range. I was full health with SurvExp on and they weren't.   I rammed the Grosser, was brought down to a sliver of health, what the SurvExp granted me, and carried on 5 seconds later into the side of the Montana, sinking him too.
shot_18_03_01_14_48_25_0128_by_chobittsu

This alone proves the skill has merit. It won't always save you, but that few extra HP can give you an edge when you have to hang on by your fingernails to get that last shot or ram in. Are there better skills? Maybe, but only if you think of one, single, bog-standard loadout for every ship... rather than consider your playstyle or what advantages each ship's slightly different flavour might bring you

[EDIT]: Your downvotes sustain me~<3  :crab:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 10

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,472 battles

By the logic of it increasing the heal, it also increases the fire damage and flooding tick. <.<

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
733 posts
3,274 battles
3 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Lemme tell you a story. I once came around the corner of an island in my Republique and was face to face with a Grosser and a Montana at extremely-point-blank range. I was full health with SurvExp on and they weren't.   I rammed the Grosser, was brought down to a sliver of health, what the SurvExp granted me, and carried on 5 seconds later into the side of the Montana, sinking him too.
shot_18_03_01_14_48_25_0128_by_chobittsu

This alone proves the skill has merit. It won't always save you, but that few extra HP can give you an edge when you have to hang on by your fingernails to get that last shot or ram in. Are there better skills? Maybe, but only if you think of one, single, bog-standard loadout for every ship... rather than consider your playstyle or what advantages each ship's slightly different flavour might bring you

I'd much rather hear how many times you've taken them Perma fires from the T10 fire bugs.

[SOUP]
7,574 posts
Just now, Merlox said:

I'd much rather hear how many times you've taken them Perma fires from the T10 fire bugs.

Theres a bug? I haven't noticed

[WOLF2]
Members
1,385 posts
13,095 battles
8 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Careful, you might hurt his fragile logic

I think his logic is sound

max 3500hp on a T10 BB is too small a gain (even as a percentage of heal) to make it worth 3 points when you have much better choices

It makes sense only on smaller hulls in my humble opinion :)