You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Peacemaker100

Ognevoi: How to Play Advice

10 comments in this topic

[TF_3]
Members
349 posts
4,848 battles

Just wondering how Ognevoi's meant to be played.  She doesn't seem to excel at any one area: okay torps(?), low number of guns, okay reload.  Is she supposed to be a gunboat, a torpboat, or a mix of both?  Any advice on how to play her?

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
721 posts
11,933 battles

Currently at 131 battles with Ognevoi. Though I have not played the ship in months I really have fun with it when I do. Current player rating in the ship is a respectable 2292.

I set the ship and captain up for stealth, taking SE for some additional HP, and using the ship primarily as a torpedo boat and spotter. I often fire only one set of tubes at a time in order to have some ready in a pinch. They don't hit as hard as, say, Kagero or Benson, but they reload faster. Use them sparingly and you will almost always have a set ready when you spot that BB moving in a straight line. She only has four gun barrels, but they are Russian guns, so they can work fairly well to finish off a crippled ship or against DDs, though you don't want to engage up close with U.S. DDs that have an insane ROF. But at longer ranges their floaty shells make it hard for them to hit you while you pummel them pretty consistently. This one, for me, falls in the category of "try to play the entire game without being seen." It is almost impossible to do, but it's advice that I believe does help.

I hope you find a way to make the ship work for you and that you are able to have some fun with it!

Respects,

Am

*Edit to add: Stealth build gets detection to 6.1, which is competitive. With 10 km torpedoes you have a 3.9 km stealth window to torpedo from, which is pretty darned nice, really. But the torpedoes are SLOW. Can be good, though, as if you are seen, people will often move after they believe your torpedoes should have been seen, only to run into them a few seconds later. lol

Edited by Amracil

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,085 battles

DE and CE are must haves. You can do well by stacking fire and flooding damage. Play it like an IJN destroyer--avoid gunfights with anything except other IJN destroyers. Even though you only have two turrets, you can still do decent damage from smoke firing if you have DE with fires. Been awhile since I played it but I remember having fun in it. Plus, nobody expects anything out of you so if you screw up, no big deal, if you carry, everyone's shocked.

[-VT-]
Members
383 posts
23,094 battles

Torp boat all the way.

You won't win any fights with your guns.

Focus on torps and smoke.  Spot, torp, smoke and fire away.

Not the traditional soviet gunboat.  Think IJN...

Sab

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,447 posts
11,755 battles

She is a rare Sovit torpedo boat.

Stealth is his strength.  Patience to play the vision game is a must. Can barely outgun IJN boats.

His captain build will only work on this ship.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,103 battles

This line while Og itself is way more torp boat, as others have said, way more like IJN, is more of a mix type at 9 and 10. Ognevoi you want to use it's stealth for max effect, use the torps unless you have smoke cover then blast away at anything in guns range and set fires. 

9 and 10 have better guns, so they can gunfight a bit more against the other ships. Tier 9 has a very narrow gap even with CE for stealth torp, as it tops out at 8 km with 7.2 stealth. I'm not sure max stealth on the top tier yet, bet it starts at 7.2 stock (so can only get better) and gets access to a 65 knot 10 km torp like old IJN ones, with the bonus of 3x2 4 second reload guns. 

It comes down to preference, but the definite skills I'd say are PM and CE. Last stand usually not a bad choice on DD's, and if you skip a 4th skill, IFHE doesn't do much unless shooting at a cruiser or tier 7 or lower BB, AFT really only need if you feel you need the extra gun range or AA, can take SI (extra smoke charge and boost/DefAA charge), BFT (roughly an extra salvo every minute), torp reload, and SE (more hitpoints) or DE.  But you could always go for the extra range, take AR (as at around 50% health same bonus BFT/TR would), and take say DE and SE as the 3 point skills. 

[TF_3]
Members
349 posts
4,848 battles

Lol so my Khab build is DEFINITELY not gonna work for this.  Oh well.  May as well use my 9pt Oggy captain, boost him up to 10 I guess.  Though I already have a Kagero.  *sigh*

[-VT-]
Members
383 posts
23,094 battles

The Og is no Kagero.  Faster torpedo reload and better torpedo identification distance.  Also, her AA is good enough to beef up if you have the captain points.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,702 battles
On 9/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, Peacemaker100 said:

Lol so my Khab build is DEFINITELY not gonna work for this.  Oh well.  May as well use my 9pt Oggy captain, boost him up to 10 I guess.  Though I already have a Kagero.  *sigh*

Despite what everyone tells you here, I would counter and say it is more of a hybrid destroyer capable of both using guns and torpedoes. It doesn't have the fast speed of most other destroyers in the line but the guns are still good. You still have four of them, just in a different arrangement. 

I like to use my classic gunboat captain build, which is also a good one for AA purpose as well.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010010000000100119

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,757 posts
4,573 battles

Torpedo boat with railguns...the railguns compensate for the low gun count somewhat letting you shoot more accurately at small targets and better citadel strikes for the rare occasion you get broadsides of cruisers. With full concealment you go down to 6.1km detection. Skirt around, spot, find chance to fire torpedoes, and deter/destroy enemy DDs with railguns whenever chance arise. Note that you can use the railguns with both hulls, if for some reason you find yourself in need of the quicker loading triples, you won't lose out on those railguns you get one tier earlier.

But as with other stealth-oriented DDs, so long as you have CE you will be fine. I picked TAE for the first 3-pointer because it is my only high tier torpedo boat in my fleet, but it sure as heck could use something else...