You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: CV rework and subs.

22 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,408 posts
4,293 battles

It is my understanding that if the CV rework fails, we default back to the current position - possibly with tweaks round the edges like the elimination of manual drops and strafing.

If this happens AND if submarines come into standard PvP play, would not some of the resources currently devoted to permaspotting destroyers be redirected to permaspotting subs instead? This was after all the most powerful element of closing the Atlantic air patrol gap, to keep them down and thus limit their mobility as much as to identify and sink them.

Bear in mind that the performance stats (in terms of speed, turn and weapons) we will be seeing for subs in Halloween are substantially buffed over the real-world hulls on which they are almost certainly modelled.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,458 posts
9,584 battles

Man do not even want to think what happens if the CV rework fails. 

My first thought would be CV rework stays the priority and they go back to the drawing board and subs are on hold. I do not think they will add class 5 until class 4 is good to go.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,408 posts
4,293 battles
37 minutes ago, paradat said:

Man do not even want to think what happens if the CV rework fails. 

My first thought would be CV rework stays the priority and they go back to the drawing board and subs are on hold. I do not think they will add class 5 until class 4 is good to go.

Yeah. That's why this is a random thought and not a serious discussion. I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot either way until we've had a better look at CV's and been able to play with submarines ourselves.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,737 posts

I think subs are a year plus out, carriers will be on us first by a long stretch.

The reason I say that is every map in the game needs to be redrawn in 3d, and that is a long process. The need to add undersea terrain

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,691 posts
9,098 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It is my understanding that if the CV rework fails, we default back to the current position - possibly with tweaks round the edges like the elimination of manual drops and strafing.

That is if they don't just chunk CV's into the dumpster.

• Cool 2

[TDRB]
Members
1,124 posts
4,262 battles
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Junking CV's & subs into the dumpster would be my 1st choice.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,458 posts
9,584 battles
53 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

LOL not a chance.

[SBS]
Members
2,486 posts
2,253 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It is my understanding that if the CV rework fails, we default back to the current position

Really?  I have my doubts.  The rework will be here to stay, good or bad.  Even at its worst it likely better then the current CVs. My two cents.

10 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Junking CV's & subs into the dumpster would be my 1st choice.

7 minutes ago, Ministre_de_la_Marine said:

^^^^This.

Death to sky cancer and sea slugs!

WG isn't tossing millions of dollars in the dumpster.  The rework is here to stay, and #SubsAreComing.

33 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I think subs are a year plus out, carriers will be on us first by a long stretch.

The reason I say that is every map in the game needs to be redrawn in 3d, and that is a long process. The need to add undersea terrain

Assuming the CV rework goes to plan, subs in earlyish 2019.  My guess, sometime after the new year there will be another PvE op and this time you'll hunt subs.  Not long after that subs will be introduced to PvP.  December for the CV rework, and early spring is my guess for subs.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,737 posts
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Assuming the CV rework goes to plan, subs in earlyish 2019.  My guess, sometime after the new year there will be another PvE op and this time you'll hunt subs.  Not long after that subs will be introduced to PvP.  December for the CV rework, and early spring is my guess for subs.

There is no underwater in any of the maps. That has to be added, so all the maps have to be completely redrawn . I don't see that early 19; early 20 maybe.

It's a lot of work to convert the maps to 3d.

Sub hunting mode would be easy. Rendering terrain to navigate in 3 dimensions is work 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,408 posts
4,293 battles
3 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Really?  I have my doubts.  The rework will be here to stay, good or bad.  Even at its worst it likely better then the current CVs. My two cents.

WG isn't tossing millions of dollars in the dumpster.  The rework is here to stay, and #SubsAreComing.

I'd like to push all that back a few months. CV rework won't be allowed in until the UK arc and whatever occupies our attention at Yuletide are out of the way. So CV's for an arc where the French were this year, an ASW trial event for April in place of Space Battles, and subs a few patches after that, depending on what other tech tree lines they have to give us in surface ships (possibly British carriers if they didn't come out with the rework). I don't think we will see subs until this time next year; there's too much work to be done in too many lines. UK, USA, Germany and Japan probably have enough to go to T10 in steel, USSR might need paper at higher tiers (captured, unbuilt or postwar German designs), and France, Italy and Poland will probably get premiums.

[TDRB]
Members
1,124 posts
4,262 battles

Tossing them in the dumpster may be the best economical move to make.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,486 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

There is no underwater in any of the maps. That has to be added, so all the maps have to be completely redrawn . I don't see that early 19; early 20 maybe.

It's a lot of work to convert the maps to 3d.

Sub hunting mode would be easy. Rendering terrain to navigate in 3 dimensions is work 

How do you know that?  WG has been reworking maps at a steady pace recently, maybe they have sneakily added in underwater terrain.  Or, all of the work could be done and WG is just sitting on it. 

Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd like to push all that back a few months. CV rework won't be allowed in until the UK arc and whatever occupies our attention at Yuletide are out of the way. So CV's for an arc where the French were this year, an ASW trial event for April in place of Space Battles, and subs a few patches after that, depending on what other tech tree lines they have to give us in surface ships (possibly British carriers if they didn't come out with the rework). I don't think we will see subs until this time next year; there's too much work to be done in too many lines. UK, USA, Germany and Japan probably have enough to go to T10 in steel, USSR might need paper at higher tiers (captured, unbuilt or postwar German designs), and France, Italy and Poland will probably get premiums.

Sub_Octavian said in the sub demo live stream that he was optimistic about the rework happening this year.  I can see RN CVs being dropped for Christmas/New Years. 

As for tree subs, I think we might only see a US tree, and one or two German premiums at release.  New nations will roll out slow.  As I said above, I think the sub are probably much, much farther along.  I could be wrong and you guys can say I told you so. :Smile-_tongue:

[NMKJT]
Members
2,737 posts
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

How do you know that?  WG has been reworking maps at a steady pace recently, maybe they have sneakily added in underwater terrain.  Or, all of the work could be done and WG is just sitting on it. 

When a ship sinks while stuck on a beach, they sink completely underwater. There is nothing there.

[DRAH]
Members
103 posts
3,482 battles
25 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Tossing them in the dumpster may be the best economical move to make.

Yep, don't subscribe to the sunk cost fallacy. If somthing isn't working throwing good money after bad does not help!

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,691 posts
9,098 battles
43 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

More like CV's no sooner than early 2019 and then another year at least before we see subs. Even with so many on this forum I feel that they will not be a very popular class though more popular than the current CV's are

[SBS]
Members
2,486 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

When a ship sinks while stuck on a beach, they sink completely underwater. There is nothing there.

Or there is no slopping terrain for them to get caught on.  Who know knows what is really under there.  Still, you could be right, I won't dismiss that possibility.

Just now, BrushWolf said:

More like CV's no sooner than early 2019 and then another year at least before we see subs. Even with so many on this forum I feel that they will not be a very popular class though more popular than the current CV's are

Sub_Octavian said publicly he was optimistic about the rework happening this year.  He wouldn't say that lightly.  That doesn't mean its set in stone, but its a pretty good case for this year.

Just now, Ellyh said:

Yep, don't subscribe to the sunk cost fallacy. If somthing isn't working throwing good money after bad does not help!

That's certainly a fair point.  That's a long way off though.  Once you invest money you're going to make a honest go of it before you give up on that investment.  If you don't like how subs, or CVs work out you'll likely be long gone before WG throws in the towel on them. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,039 posts
11,241 battles

The cv rework will fail (jk, thats just my hope, probabily will work cause its made for make potatos happy). I dont think if they implement that have ANY chance to back because for implement that they need change a lot mechanics in the cvs, in the aa, in the game, in the core of this game.

The subs its going be a halloween event, but i'm sure will be a test for see if player base like or not, sinse they working to make the new dd lines more a 'gunboat/support' like lighttanks in wot maybe they going put subs as spot/hunter.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,691 posts
9,098 battles
7 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Sub_Octavian said publicly he was optimistic about the rework happening this year.  He wouldn't say that lightly.  That doesn't mean its set in stone, but its a pretty good case for this year.

His job is to be publicly optimistic. This is far more than just a CV rework. AA, particularly the Defensive AA consumable needs to be addressed along with captains skills that affect AA. Flooding and fires will also need to be addressed. I foresee lots of hiccups in bringing this to live.

• Cool 1

[ICE9]
Members
846 posts
23 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

If you don't like how subs, or CVs work out you'll likely be long gone before WG throws in the towel on them. 

Or sooner.

[IXM]
Members
56 posts
978 battles

I find it amusing that everyone who loves CVs has at least a few of them and have become addicted to their overpowered, one-sided nature. I actually think the changes to CVs will be promising and hope they come as soon as possible. I don't have any faith WG will make that possible since they move incredibly slowly to implement anything that isn't going to immediately make them tons of cash. The CV rework might just have the opposite effect in fact.

Subs are fine if they can somehow make them useful without being ridiculously overpowered. I would enjoy hunting them in my DD if they can also manage to properly implement depth charges and other ASW mechanics.

[SBS]
Members
2,486 posts
2,253 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

His job is to be publicly optimistic. This is far more than just a CV rework. AA, particularly the Defensive AA consumable needs to be addressed along with captains skills that affect AA. Flooding and fires will also need to be addressed. I foresee lots of hiccups in bringing this to live.

I see it completely differently.  After the "2017 year of the CV" fiasco I bet WG will be very conservative with time frames.