Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

One of those TK moments

11 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

I was already taken out in a match, but stuck around to watch.  A Hindy was playing cat and mouse with a Yamato at close range with intervening terrain.  I was watching the Hindy.  The Yamato rounded the corner.  And the face off began.  The Hindy was full reverse, trying to keep as thin as possible to lessen the pounding from those 18 inchers.  Hindy firing away, doing some damage...but not enough.   Yamato was wining the attrition fight...not mention being one solid salvo away from deleting the Hindy.

Then, I noticed from behind the Hindy...salvation.  A friendly Shimi appeared, lining up a full spread shot at the unsuspecting Yamato.  The spread was launched to pass through the Hindy's port side reverse wake.  I saw the launch.  At nearly the same time (I suspect the decision was made before the Shim launch...but not soon enough for the Hindy motion change to be noticed by the Shimi captain), the Hindy captain saw his chance to drive forward, turn to port, open up his torp arcs, and unload on the Yamato.  The timing of the Shimi launch and the Hindy charge and turn to port was PERFECTLY TIMED to put the Hindy broadside to the entire Shimi spread.  Instant TK delete...seconds before the Hindy could launch his own devastating strike.  

Adding insult to injury, the Hindy position was perfect to block any Shimi torps from reaching the Yamato.

And, reflected damage put the Shimi so low that a few secondaries from Yamato finished him.

Man, I wish had that on video.  It was painful at the time.  Retrospectively, it was funny as hell.  [Sorry if you are one of those captains...I felt the pain when it happened.  Both the team pain, because it placed the team in a possible lose position.  And the pain of each captain.  But as I write  this...considering no one really got hurt...it's funny.  Realizing the thinking of both captains...sitting in my birds eye seat...looking back at a "game".  Funny crap.

Oh...the salt in chat that ensued. I didn't say anything.  But I fully understood both captain's salt.  The Shimi complained that the Hindy turned broadside into torps already fired.   The Hindy complained he was gutted by the Shimi moments before launching his kill shot on the Yamato.  Putting myself in both their shoes, I would have been just as salty.  Just as pissed at the other.   Perhaps that's what makes it so humorous to me.  Knowing I would have behaved the same as either captain..in that captains shoes.  And so thinking, realize the conundrum itself is a message.

The rule.  You own your torps.  That's the rule.  If fault is to be levied, it falls on the Shimi.  But, to be fair to the Shimi...the dynamics of the situation when he fired (a reverse Hindy)...if those dynamics continued, the torps would have missed the Hindy and probably deleted the Yamato.  It also appeared the Hindy was on the verge of being deleted anyway.  On the flip side, in defense of the Hindy, retrospectively his maneuver was pre-planned...he was just waiting for the Yamato to fire and he was going to swing to port and deliver a killing torp shot.  He was not aware of the Shimi...or the Shimi torps.

In the final assessment, the rule applies.  It was a Shimi TK.  But, given the dynamics of the situation, it was a very understandable decision....executed in the heat of battle.  The Shimi didn't Intentionally launch into the Hindy's broadside.  The Hindy didn't intentionally turn broadside to eat a torpedo spread.

All said, the Hindy, despite getting TK's topped the leader board and received a karma point from me.  Understanding the Shimi's position, he didn't get any negative karma.  I understood his decision and can't say I wouldn't have done the same given the same conditions.

And best of all...we still won the match.  Closer than it would have been.  But still a win.  So.....a Hindy that topped out.  A Shimi pink...but fine in aggregate.  Me?  Dead five minutes before this happened.  And a WIN!!!!!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,726 posts
4,737 battles

It happens rarely but sometimes there's the moments when the normal rules go out the window.  If the hindy stayed reverse, well, wouldn't have been an issue.  If he had, no one would have probably even remembered the situation taking place.  Just goes to show you a dynamic game where situations change at a moments notice. 

Heck, had one of my own.  I pulled a boneheaded maneuver in my Baltimore and found myself grounded on an island with a Des Moines rounding the corner.  Well...  Hang on, I have the replay lol

Can't blame my Shima really.  I was dead 10 times over I thought lol

[WOLF2]
Members
1,329 posts
13,063 battles

I liked this story,

The rule you cite doesn't do justice to the situation (and it never does tbh), since the Shima played the cards he was dealt to the best of his ability and probably couldn't delay his launch?

If there is blame to be assigned, then team play and communication should be the main culprits since the shima was on a clear path and the Hindie changed his course without situational awareness of what was going to happen with torps already in the water.

I wouldn't blame anybody, but I would swear a lot and point to chat warnings and minimap error?

The Shima probably did the right thing, knowing that the hindie was going to die anyway without help

Edited by Commander_367

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
325 posts
4,659 battles

It's not a problem if breaking the rules works out.

Those crazy torps, eh? I love em to pieces.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,274 posts
4,243 battles

And the Hindenburg was understandably far too focused on his last-ditch effort against the Yamato to see the torps coming.

I've been accidentally team-deleted and I've been deliberately TK'd to death. The difference, when it happens, is very clear. I admit if I were in the Hindy's shoes I'd probably explode in a stream of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot as well, but in the end I think I'd let it go. It's hard to tell who's saltier sometimes, the one who got killed or the one who gets posted to the Breast Cancer Research Fleet.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF2]
Members
1,329 posts
13,063 battles
44 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And the Hindenburg was understandably far too focused on his last-ditch effort against the Yamato to see the torps coming.

I've been accidentally team-deleted and I've been deliberately TK'd to death. The difference, when it happens, is very clear. I admit if I were in the Hindy's shoes I'd probably explode in a stream of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot as well, but in the end I think I'd let it go. It's hard to tell who's saltier sometimes, the one who got killed or the one who gets posted to the Breast Cancer Research Fleet.

Yep, we all panic and do crazy stuff … like run into traffic 

Heavy breathing, stress and losing consciousness are never good for peripheral vision either :)

But he was gonna die anyway lol, does it really matter how?

Edited by Commander_367

[ARGSY]
Members
6,274 posts
4,243 battles
7 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

But he was gonna die anyway lol, does it really matter how?

Dead from Yamato which he had launched fatal torps against gets him a kill and the flesh wound award.

Dead from friendly Shima before he even fires gets him nothing.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,329 posts
13,063 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Dead from Yamato which he had launched fatal torps against gets him a kill and the flesh wound award.

Dead from friendly Shima before he even fires gets him nothing.

Maybe, we'll never know :)

The shima could have just as easily guaranteed the kill since his torps reached the exact same location as the Hindie before he could even launch - those torps were in the water an on target apparently :)

If the Hindie had stayed put, who knows … he might still have been alive?

Lots of what if's, but not a lot of communication or situational awareness :(

Edited by Commander_367

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles
23 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

The Shima probably did the right thing, knowing that the hindie was going to die anyway without help

As I watched this unfold, I was thinking "The Hindy is going to lose this fight".  When I saw the Shiimi, I thought "Fantastic.  We're going to win this one.  Perfect torp position...if the torps get there in time...dead Yamato...Hindy survives". 

That was MY mindset.  In retrospection, the Hindy was actually waiting to make his torp move.  When I saw him moving forward, I was like "wth is he doing...he's going to eat those torps"?  And he did.  "Why did he do that"?  Then it dawned on me...I suddenly realized his tactic...which made complete sense to me "after the fact".  And considering the engagement, it made sense that he would not notice the torp warning...or even if he did...it was too late to do anything other than execute the plan.

That's why I say, if I put myself in both captain's position, I see both did the right thing (or what I would have done) given what they knew at the moment of execution.  If I'm  Shimi, I think I'm saving a Hindy, on his heals, from certain destruction while deleting a Yamato.  If I'm Hindy, I'm focused on my timing to drive forward with a torp kill shot. 

Again, just one of those situations.  A situation where I was fortunate enough to both observe it in the moment, and actually participate mentally in how it unfolded.  By being there...when it happened...with the mindset of the engagement..it was very educational to me.  To see two players trying to do the right thing...and (together) resulting in a total mess. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,329 posts
13,063 battles
45 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

As I watched this unfold, I was thinking "The Hindy is going to lose this fight".  When I saw the Shiimi, I thought "Fantastic.  We're going to win this one.  Perfect torp position...if the torps get there in time...dead Yamato...Hindy survives". 

That was MY mindset.  In retrospection, the Hindy was actually waiting to make his torp move.  When I saw him moving forward, I was like "wth is he doing...he's going to eat those torps"?  And he did.  "Why did he do that"?  Then it dawned on me...I suddenly realized his tactic...which made complete sense to me "after the fact".  And considering the engagement, it made sense that he would not notice the torp warning...or even if he did...it was too late to do anything other than execute the plan.

That's why I say, if I put myself in both captain's position, I see both did the right thing (or what I would have done) given what they knew at the moment of execution.  If I'm  Shimi, I think I'm saving a Hindy, on his heals, from certain destruction while deleting a Yamato.  If I'm Hindy, I'm focused on my timing to drive forward with a torp kill shot. 

Again, just one of those situations.  A situation where I was fortunate enough to both observe it in the moment, and actually participate mentally in how it unfolded.  By being there...when it happened...with the mindset of the engagement..it was very educational to me.  To see two players trying to do the right thing...and (together) resulting in a total mess. 

I liked it because it shows point of view as you said and avoids blame - thx +1

Edited by Commander_367

Sign in to follow this