Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Krautjaeger

Are events the new "Dailies"? Is it too much?

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

104
[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
449 posts
1,962 battles

So the current event will last for three months which is pretty much right before Christmas and we all know there will be some kind of Christmas/New Year event(s) as well. Prior to this we had the Anniversary event, we had the Eagles vs Sharks and it feels like it's just been one very long period of just...events. Are there too many events now?

I got friend that are fully in to the free2play model, not paying anything, and they started out wanting more events and loving it but even they have uttered that they are getting a bit tired as in event fatigue. Earlier, events was something we could look forward to as something different and a bonus to regular gameplay but now it is getting served on a daily basis and it is not only wearing people out but also taking away the 'special' thing about event imho. I know the competition is hard among companies and their games and they always do things to keep us in their game, occupied, but could they be shooting themselves in the foot to a certain degree as well here?

Events draw all kinds of people and a whole lot trade ideas and do their best to do as little as possible to get as much as possible, path of least resistance, and quality of matches during events have always been questioned. People spamming ships and games hoping the team wins for them is one "tried and tested" method when winning is a requirement, when kills are a requirement people sit and wait not doing anything until a ship is almost done for then half the team opens fire to get the kills which leads to 'desperation' for some where they just go ahead and ram someone for at least one kill and moves on to the next game. In essence, events bring out...odd behavior in a lot of players which leads to a lot of frustration for those that just want a regular match, though a lot can be said that this was only the case a couple of years back, and it wears people down and out.

Thing is, before we had breaks between events and things returned "to normal" for a period of time and we had time to recharge our batteries, all of us. I don't know about you all but I for one would like a little less frequent events and some shorter too. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, wish you all a good weekend. :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,122 battles

You aren't forced to play into events.  Just play PvP or PvE if you are tired of them.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5 posts
3,091 battles

Royal Navy is more like a weekly, since while new sets of tasks are issued daily for four days, you have until the end of the week to finish them all. And, since you can do them all at the same time, unlike campaign tasks, you can blow through them pretty quickly. I like this format better than the old daily missions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
6 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

Events draw all kinds of people

And this is why WG is doing them.  There was a leaked schedule posted a while ago that basically said this is their new patch cycle.  So just like we get 3-4 new lines a year we will have a 3 month event around each new line/event that they bring out.  WG don't care too much what the game quality is like as long as lots of people are showing up (preferably every day).  The daily mission and event rewards are designed to incentivise this kind of behavior.

Edited by mrh308
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
16 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

So the current event will last for three months which is pretty much right before Christmas and we all know there will be some kind of Christmas/New Year event(s) as well. Prior to this we had the Anniversary event, we had the Eagles vs Sharks and it feels like it's just been one very long period of just...events. Are there too many events now?

I got friend that are fully in to the free2play model, not paying anything, and they started out wanting more events and loving it but even they have uttered that they are getting a bit tired as in event fatigue. Earlier, events was something we could look forward to as something different and a bonus to regular gameplay but now it is getting served on a daily basis and it is not only wearing people out but also taking away the 'special' thing about event imho. I know the competition is hard among companies and their games and they always do things to keep us in their game, occupied, but could they be shooting themselves in the foot to a certain degree as well here?

Events draw all kinds of people and a whole lot trade ideas and do their best to do as little as possible to get as much as possible, path of least resistance, and quality of matches during events have always been questioned. People spamming ships and games hoping the team wins for them is one "tried and tested" method when winning is a requirement, when kills are a requirement people sit and wait not doing anything until a ship is almost done for then half the team opens fire to get the kills which leads to 'desperation' for some where they just go ahead and ram someone for at least one kill and moves on to the next game. In essence, events bring out...odd behavior in a lot of players which leads to a lot of frustration for those that just want a regular match, though a lot can be said that this was only the case a couple of years back, and it wears people down and out.

Thing is, before we had breaks between events and things returned "to normal" for a period of time and we had time to recharge our batteries, all of us. I don't know about you all but I for one would like a little less frequent events and some shorter too. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, wish you all a good weekend. :Smile_honoring:

Go Navy was that last part of the US event for the US Cruiser split. There was a French event earlier this year when the French BBs were released. WG plans on doing this event thing for when ship lines come out.

 

What replaced the daily missions is the Daily Chains 1 & 2. 

Crq1Naw.jpg

You get something for logging into the game. Today was 2 Engine Boost II consumables. Each stage gives you 1-3 more Engine Boost II consumables today and completing a chain gets you 200 coal. Tomorrow will be 2 Equal Speed Charlie London signals. Each month collecting 3 Daily Chains, 9 Daily Chains and 20 Daily Chains get you flags and for the 20 Daily Chains Draconic flags or some other bonus like the Helena perma camo this month.


Check the Monthly Calendar to see what is given out each day. On the calendar, it will sum up all the things you can get each week if you complete all the Daily Chains that week. The weekly summary is what you get not in addition to.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/september-missions/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
449 posts
1,962 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Go Navy was that last part of the US event for the US Cruiser split. There was a French event earlier this year when the French BBs were released. WG plans on doing this event thing for when ship lines come out.

What replaced the daily missions is the Daily Chains 1 & 2. 

Crq1Naw.jpg

You get something for logging into the game. Today was 2 Engine Boost II consumables. Each stage gives you 1-3 more Engine Boost II consumables today and completing a chain gets you 200 coal. Tomorrow will be 2 Equal Speed Charlie London signals. Each month collecting 3 Daily Chains, 9 Daily Chains and 20 Daily Chains get you flags and for the 20 Daily Chains Draconic flags or some other bonus like the Helena perma camo this month.

Check the Monthly Calendar to see what is given out each day. On the calendar, it will sum up all the things you can get each week if you complete all the Daily Chains that week. The weekly summary is what you get not in addition to.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/september-missions/

I think maybe you missed my point, which was what do people here think about events now being more of a norm than something brought out for 'special' occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
Just now, Krautjaeger said:

I think maybe you missed my point, which was what do people here think about events now being more of a norm than something brought out for 'special' occasions.

Well they are for special occasions. The Go Navy was the last part of the 3 patch US Cruiser split. This RN Event is for the 3 patch UK DD release (full line on Oct 17th). The French BB release was the first one of the 3 patch events for a big line release. When the French BBs came out WG said that this type of 3 patch event is what they plan for new line releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
22 minutes ago, DinosaurTrain said:

Royal Navy is more like a weekly, since while new sets of tasks are issued daily for four days, you have until the end of the week to finish them all. And, since you can do them all at the same time, unlike campaign tasks, you can blow through them pretty quickly. I like this format better than the old daily missions. 

But the daily combat missions are still going on. I will agree with the OP it does seem we are getting too event heavy. There should be at least a month or more between events, except for anniversary events and historical events. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
449 posts
1,962 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Well they are for special occasions. The Go Navy was the last part of the 3 patch US Cruiser split. This RN Event is for the 3 patch UK DD release (full line on Oct 17th). The French BB release was the first one of the 3 patch events for a big line release. When the French BBs came out WG said that this type of 3 patch event is what they plan for new line releases.

Well yes in a way, but if there's "special" occasions all the time then something that used to be rare and special just ends up 'regular stuff' and not special at all.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
1 minute ago, Krautjaeger said:

Well yes in a way, but if there's "special" occasions all the time then something that used to be rare and special just ends up 'regular stuff' and not special at all.

Well with 3-4 lines released a year, we will probably get 3-4 events a year with the line releases. As least you can just play and complete Missions and Directives in the event. There do not appear to be any win x battles or survive and win a battle missions. I hope they keep it that way over the whole event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
62
[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
332 posts
4,659 battles

I'm against logging in and getting a prize. There's other games out there that do that, and I can only guess this is a means of generating interest in their game - if only for 5 minutes.

I prefer a game that rewards your effort. If I bust my hump carrying a match, setting Rome's fleet on fire, carrying on with peeps as you critical Div someone's' day. All of those have been rewarded, and in some ways personal interaction is a better value than a stack of 200 signals.

As for events - if I'm interested, I fight in them. If I'm not interested, I throw on a ship and do anything I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
9 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

I'm against logging in and getting a prize. There's other games out there that do that, and I can only guess this is a means of generating interest in their game - if only for 5 minutes.

I prefer a game that rewards your effort. If I bust my hump carrying a match, setting Rome's fleet on fire, carrying on with peeps as you critical Div someone's' day. All of those have been rewarded, and in some ways personal interaction is a better value than a stack of 200 signals.

As for events - if I'm interested, I fight in them. If I'm not interested, I throw on a ship and do anything I want.

If you also complete stages in the Daily Chain, you get more of that Login bonus. You get 1-3 per stage, so you can get another 12 of the daily login bonus by completing both Daily Chains that day. The 1,000 XP days are different. The first stage is 1k XP on the ship that completes the stage. The second stage is 1,000 FXP and the third stage of the daily chain is 2,000 Elite Cmdr XP.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,122 battles

The only "events" that I think are heavy at this point are the competitive ones.  When you see T10 Clan Battles immediately followed up with T10 Ranked Battles, it can become very tiresome without tier variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,736
Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles
57 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

I think maybe you missed my point, which was what do people here think about events now being more of a norm than something brought out for 'special' occasions.

I'm always down with free stuff (or at least the chance for free stuff) just for playing the game.

The only thing events do is influence my choice of ships to play. No big deal, it's not like I have any other reason to play particular ships, I often decide on a whim.

I'm glad I levelled wide instead of high. It means that, whatever the requirements, I typically have a choice between several ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
1,248 battles

I think as long as there are substantive differences between the events then people won't get tired of them. Like the Halloween stuff is different enough from this Royal Navy event that I don't think it makes either less special, but if you just had the same exact "we're releasing ships, so here are some generic missions" events, then that would get old faster.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×